Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark plug wiring... pleasae help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914chic
Alright here is the deal, ever since i converted to carbs i have had my spark plug wires set up like this ( picture ) but it runs crappy and I set the timing but still runs like crap. Now my question is after I was browsing pictures on here I see that it looks like my plug wires are set up wrong. But when i switch them to like this ( 2nd picture ) it just turns over and then ... pops like a timing issue. WTF!

IPB Image

IPB Image
scotty b
1-4-3-2

jc914
Go to this article it should answer all your questions.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

scroll to the bottom or the article it explains where all the cables go
good luck
SirAndy
QUOTE(914chic @ Feb 4 2009, 06:40 PM) *

WTF!

Did you have the dizzy removed at some point?

It could be 180 deg. off. Ask me how i know ...
headbang.gif Andy
orange914
QUOTE(jc914 @ Feb 4 2009, 06:44 PM) *

Go to this article it should answer all your questions.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

from glancing over this article the only (kind of) mention of finding #1 position on the distributor, was "finding top dead center for cylinder #1". what i didn't notice (and could be your issue) is if the "distributor" is ALSO pointing to #1. a car this old can easily have had the distibutor installed incorrect position at sometime. its possible that the wires were previously repositioned to the altered distributor positioning and when you reinstalled them correctly to factory spec.'s... sad.gif good luck
914chic
I did have the dizzy out at one time but what drives me stir crazy is after the initial install, the car ran great for awhile

and again my question in regards to the first picture is going off this would't this indicate that the plug wires are on wrong?
sww914
As far as I can tell, you have them right in the first pic. Webers routinely clog the idle jets after you mess with them- ie remove or install them or the engine.
Try cleaning the idle jets.
Starting with the #1 plug, go clockwise around the distributor cap and it should be 1-4-3-2. You can also go backwards around, (CCW) it's 1-2-3-4.
orange914
QUOTE(914chic @ Feb 4 2009, 07:36 PM) *

I did have the dizzy out at one time but what drives me stir crazy is after the initial install, the car ran great for awhile

and again my question in regards to the first picture is going off this would't this indicate that the plug wires are on wrong?

sounds like too many variables and sorta's.

after messing around with "maybe this is it... nope... maybe that is it", start from the very beginning as much as possible. from what you describe it all started with new wires. i'd make sure the #1 cylinder (on compession tdc) is in cync with the rotor pointing to your #1 spark wire (the rotor can be aligned w/ #1 wire on the cap). if the distribur is not in the factory position, it will still run assuming spark wires are moved accordingly and timing is set to spec's
914chic
yeah i have already cleaned everything , im starting to think that i need to check the timing and possibly a new distributor
914chic
Thanks everybody I am gonna check that the rotor is pointing to tdc on number 1 and the timing and will get back to ya
StarBear
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2009, 11:24 PM) *

QUOTE(914chic @ Feb 4 2009, 06:40 PM) *

WTF!

Did you have the dizzy removed at some point?

It could be 180 deg. off. Ask me how i know ...
headbang.gif Andy

Amazing. I just experienced this, too (dizzy cap 180 degrees backward). Not in any manual or trouble-shooting guide that I've ever read. Took 3 months and finally a two to the mechanic to realize this. Apparently very unique to 914s...
TheCabinetmaker
914 distributor caps have a"tab" that fits in a slot on the top of the distributor. It's impossible to put it on backwards. Unless you have some aftermarket cap! The distributor shaft Tang, and drive gear, are both offset from center. They only go in one direction, unless you have the wrong distributor, or the drive gear is positioned wrong!
TheCabinetmaker
Did you use the d jet distributor?
StarBear
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Mar 21 2019, 02:16 PM) *

914 distributor caps have a"tab" that fits in a slot on the top of the distributor. It's impossible to put it on backwards. Unless you have some aftermarket cap! The distributor shaft Tang, and drive gear, are both offset from center. They only go in one direction, unless you have the wrong distributor, or the drive gear is positioned wrong!

Yep; mine has the tab but never knew it. Have replaced and taken off/put on many times as I'm an original owner. Was wondering this time why those spring clips were so hard to snap back in place!
SirAndy
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Mar 21 2019, 11:16 AM) *

@TheCabinetmaker

No, you *can* put the distributor gear thing (that goes into the hole before the distributor) 180 degrees off (that has the off center slot to match the bottom end of the distributor shaft).

And if you do, your engine will still fire up and run (albeit poorly).

Again, not just the cap but the whole distributor will be 180 degrees off ...
dry.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Yep! Backwards, it holds the cap up enough to interfere with contact between the prong on the cap, and the rotor. Thus, running like crap!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2019, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Mar 21 2019, 11:16 AM) *

@TheCabinetmaker

No, you *can* put the distributor gear thing (that goes into the hole before the distributor) 180 degrees off (that has the off center slot to match the bottom end of the distributor shaft).

And if you do, your engine will still fire up and run (albeit poorly).

Again, not just the cap but the whole distributor will be 180 degrees off ...
dry.gif

Only if the gear is indexed incorrectly! It can be in 5 different wrong positions.
TheCabinetmaker
It's all dependent on the position of the gear. Distributor will only go into the gear one direction!
SirAndy
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Mar 21 2019, 11:57 AM) *
Only if the gear is indexed incorrectly! It can be in 5 different wrong positions.
It's all dependent on the position of the gear. Distributor will only go into the gear one direction!

Exactly my point

Happened on my 2056 (which was built by a "reputable" engine builder), which is why i posted "Ask me how i know".
The moral being, don't *assume* your gear is indexed correctly, VERIFY !

Took a good 6 months to diagnose and finally fix ...
headbang.gif
StarBear
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Mar 21 2019, 02:54 PM) *

Yep! Backwards, it holds the cap up enough to interfere with contact between the prong on the cap, and the rotor. Thus, running like crap!

Yep; that's exactly what was happening. Cranking but no starting other than some "puffs". Advance module was in right place, so knew I didn't have the dizzy in wrong (and didn't move car w/o dizzy while in gear...)
ClayPerrine
The point cam has the firing location for #3 slightly retarded to keep the #3 cylinder cool. It is farthest from the fan, and runs hotter. So if you have the distributor in 180 degrees out, then the #1 firing location will be retarded. So if you set the timing correctly with a light, the other 3 cylinders will be advanced, causing poor running.

If your distributor is installed correctly, the plug wires on the passenger side of the car should connect the rear plug to the rear distributor tower, and the front plug to the front distributor tower. The drivers side crosses the wires, the front plug connects to the rear tower on the distributor, and the rear plug connects to the front tower on the distributor.

Driver's side wires cross. Passengers side wires do not.

Simple, no????

Clay
StarBear
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 21 2019, 03:38 PM) *

If your distributor is installed correctly, the plug wires on the passenger side of the car should connect the rear plug to the rear distributor tower, and the front plug to the front distributor tower. The drivers side crosses the wires, the front plug connects to the rear tower on the distributor, and the rear plug connects to the front tower on the distributor.

Simple, no????

Clay

Wow, THREE 914s??!! I'm impressed. Affectionately call my 74 Zambezi Green 1.8L "Frogger", for obvious reasons.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 21 2019, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 21 2019, 03:38 PM) *

Simple, no????

Clay

Wow, THREE 914s??!! I'm impressed. Affectionately call my 74 Zambezi Green 1.8L "Frogger", for obvious reasons.

It keeps me off the streets (because I am always in the garage fixing them.).

I updated my post with more info. And I learned this from 33 years of owning a 914.

Good luck.
rhodyguy
Rotate to TDC using the 0* on the cooling fan to set the engine. Do not use a screwdriver levering on the shroud/fan to rotate. Remove dist cap. The rotor should point to the small notch in the top of the dist body. Further, the correct orientation of the dist driveshaft (this is the '180* "out" thing) is detailed on p.65 of your Haynes Manual.
cgnj
I think we are being trolled. Anyone check the date of the original post?
I'm curious why starbear would resurrect a post that is over 10 years old.

SirAndy
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 21 2019, 06:47 PM) *
... I'm curious why starbear would resurrect a post that is over 10 years old.

Because it has pertinent information in it?
confused24.gif
StarBear
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 21 2019, 09:47 PM) *

Yep - because it has really good info, like lots in these forums, that doesn't get stale. Couldn't find any other mentions of the issue with reversed distributor caps causing problem. Thanks for the concern, though!
StarBear
PS: Friend at work mentioned this to his truck-fanatic friend (mainly trucks, and mainly FOrd); his response back was, "Oh, your co-worker has a 914?". I'm impressed that a truck guy knew this and seems to be rather unique to 914s though must think that any with that vintage Bosch dizzy (mine is 009) would have this situation. The only other one that I spoke with who knew of it had a same vintage Saab that he used to work on. Go figure....
cgnj
QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 22 2019, 05:02 AM) *

QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 21 2019, 09:47 PM) *

Yep - because it has really good info, like lots in these forums, that doesn't get stale. Couldn't find any other mentions of the issue with reversed distributor caps causing problem. Thanks for the concern, though!

There is a reason for that. To put the cap on 180 out you have to force it on. Most people pause when something doesn't and check their work and correct.

My problem with bringing this post back to life is that knowledgeable people wasted time troubleshooting a non existent problem. I had a reply ready to go then realized I was wasting time, just like now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.