Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bolt on Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Solo914
I have been looking for pictures of 914s with either pop riveted or bolted on flares. I remember seeing a really nice(red? orange?) one that had been done recently but cannot find the pictures by using the search.

I am doing a racecar project and am getting some ideas.

Thanks

Kyle
914junkie
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I used Sheridan Motorsports rear flares on my car and installed them by using threaded inserts on the sheet metal then running stainless round head alen bolts and clear nylon washers through the fiberglass. Most guys either bond them on or use quick release dzus fasteners. I wanted to be able to remove them easily but knew I wouldn't be doing it often. It's a bit racecar looking but I kinda like it that way. Even continued the exposed bolt thing on the tail as you can see. Roger Sheridan made the tail too. At 4" tall the tail is worthless but it looked like something was missing without it so I threw it on. His fiberglass body parts are top notch and he is a great guy to deal with. If I did it again I would have put his front end on the car too instead of the RDR front fenders and nose section which are also bolted on but hidden. Paul S. biggrin.gif
Solo914
QUOTE(914junkie @ Feb 4 2009, 10:01 PM) *

I used Sheridan Motorsports rear flares on my car and installed them by using threaded inserts on the sheet metal then running stainless round head alen bolts and clear nylon washers through the fiberglass. Most guys either bond them on or use quick release dzus fasteners. I wanted to be able to remove them easily but knew I wouldn't be doing it often. It's a bit racecar looking but I kinda like it that way. Even continued the exposed bolt thing on the tail as you can see. Roger Sheridan made the tail too. At 4" tall the tail is worthless but it looked like something was missing without it so I threw it on. His fiberglass body parts are top notch and he is a great guy to deal with. If I did it again I would have put his front end on the car too instead of the RDR front fenders and nose section which are also bolted on but hidden. Paul S. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I am leaning towards rivnuts but don't know if it will be necessary and may be design overkill.

Kyle

turnaround89
OT, but gorgeous car 914junkie. aktion035.gif

The rivet/bolted on look does make the 914 look very much like a race car, very slick looking IMO, however, mine or bondo'd on, car came that way.

There could be benefits to being able to pull the flares off
1. More room to get the wheel off
2. More room to work around the brake components, instead of sitting inside the wheel well.
3. More access to suspension/possible steering components

Solo914
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 4 2009, 10:11 PM) *

The rivet/bolted on look does make the 914 look very much like a race car, very slick looking IMO, however, mine or bondo'd on, car came that way.

2. More room to work around the brake components, instead of sitting inside the wheel well.

We were leaning toward Dzus fasteners originally but I don't think we need to pull the flares off THAT often but it would still be nice to be able to take them off.

kyle
914junkie
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 4 2009, 10:11 PM) *

Thanx, and thats exactly why I did it that way. I can pull the whole panel off in a few minutes with a screw gun and get to everything VERY easily as the entire stock quarter is cut away underneath with only enough metal left to support the fender and mount the threaded inserts. Makes for easy maint. and repair. Plus if either fender is heavily damaged I can just bolt another on.
drgchapman
You might have heard of or seen my car.............
Factory flares with black rivets.
Ilike it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Killer action shot, nice flair install.
FourBlades
Race car with riveted flares with welting in between.

Click to view attachment

John
SirAndy
Randal's Car ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

piratenanner.gif Andy
BKLA
Dr. Gary's is the install that I prefer iffin you weren't going to weld. I did FG flairs's with pop rivets 'cause I figured they will get banged up in W2W. I didn't use welting (was a personal choice after buying it) - didn't like the look of the black line...

Painted up two sets of flares so I have extra's ready if needed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.