Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M.S.D Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
6freak

I have one in the shop..the ? is is it worth the effort to install ,where the best place,and is it hard to do ..mind you I`m electrically challenged so be gental
ConeDodger
I have one in my 914 and my 240Z. If you have it, I would go ahead and use it. Jake Raby doesn't like them and uses Mallory ignition boxes on carb cars He has had failures and he just doesn't tolerate failure. I think he would even say to use it since you have it though...
jt914-6
I've used a MSD for years and like it. Some will say they like them and some will not. I use a 6AL. It has an adjustable rpm chip slot. A chip kit for example goes from 6,000 to 7,000 in increments of 200 rpm. (6,000, 6,200, 6,400 and so on).
It gets an incoming signal from the points or electronic pickup, depending on which dist. you have. Two wires go to the coil. It is easy to connect and mount. I mounted it in the engine compartment on my last 914-6. On my current project six, I'm mounting it behind the passenger's seat as seen in the pic. I would suggest if you use one that you match it with the MSD Blaster coil, use 7 or 8mm wires, and gap the plugs to 32-36 range. You may have to also use one of their tach adaptor. If you are using a points type dist., you may want to use a Petronix Ignitor or other electronic points replacing device.
6freak
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Feb 5 2009, 12:39 PM) *

I've used a MSD for years and like it. Some will say they like them and some will not. I use a 6AL. It has an adjustable rpm chip slot. A chip kit for example goes from 6,000 to 7,000 in increments of 200 rpm. (6,000, 6,200, 6,400 and so on).
It gets an incoming signal from the points or electronic pickup, depending on which dist. you have. Two wires go to the coil. It is easy to connect and mount. I mounted it in the engine compartment on my last 914-6. On my current project six, I'm mounting it behind the passenger's seat as seen in the pic. I would suggest if you use one that you match it with the MSD Blaster coil, use 7 or 8mm wires, and gap the plugs to 32-36 range. You may have to also use one of their tach adaptor. If you are using a points type dist., you may want to use a Petronix Ignitor or other electronic points replacing device.

Thanks Dodger Im think`n i mite just try it....JT914-6.the distributer is stock but i do have 8mm wires and i think the coil is a blaster but not for sure I will check,behind the seat is out of the question it will have to be front trunk(long wires) or engine bay but i heard it has to be a relatively cool spot ..I dont have many options tough..plug gap is not a issue and does the tach wire hock up in the engine bay.I will have more info about the one i have on monday but the 6al # rings a bell
thanks for your help
Mike
iamchappy
I've been using them since he 80's and have never had a problem.
jt914-6
Mike,
I had the MSD box mounted in the engine compartment near the top so the fan would pull fresh air across it and never had a heat problem. The reason I mounted it behind the seat in the project is to unclutter the engine bay and have it in a cooler (temp) location. Just had to run pickup wires from dist. and two wires to the coil through the firewall. DO NOT mount it in the front trunk. There is no reason to. If anything, the rear trunk would be a second option to the engine bay mount.
johnnie5
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Feb 5 2009, 01:43 PM) *

Mike,
I had the MSD box mounted in the engine compartment near the top so the fan would pull fresh air across it and never had a heat problem. The reason I mounted it behind the seat in the project is to unclutter the engine bay and have it in a cooler (temp) location. Just had to run pickup wires from dist. and two wires to the coil through the firewall. DO NOT mount it in the front trunk. There is no reason to. If anything, the rear trunk would be a second option to the engine bay mount.

I went with the rear trunk for mounting location
J P Stein
I use the MSD 6 al, MDS High Vibration coil, 8.5mm Magnecore wires, Petronix & NKG plugs gapped to .045. Bout 8 years now.....
The unit seems happy there on the right.
6freak
Both locations seem do`able for my car.The PO is coming over this Sunday to help me with pulling some trim pieces and the oil tank(go`n to the restoration shop)rear bumper and such..I will have him give me a hand with installing or at least get his point of view as well

other ideas welcome

Thanks for everyones help
Mike
ConeDodger
I used the same mounting spot as Johnnie5 in the rear trunk against the engine bulkhead. I used a MSD6AL though. The limiting feature allows me to give the keys to my kid and let him drive it. I suspect with that 3000RPM limit he cannot get into too much trouble! laugh.gif
6freak
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 6 2009, 07:36 AM) *

I used the same mounting spot as Johnnie5 in the rear trunk against the engine bulkhead. I used a MSD6AL though. The limiting feature allows me to give the keys to my kid and let him drive it. I suspect with that 3000RPM limit he cannot get into too much trouble! laugh.gif

I do like that spot! looks clean ..but very little air flow if any.My car get pretty warm in the rear trunk! i take it you have not had any issues with it there.The only #`s i could read on my box are seriel#4101 and part#6240? maybe#6246
cobra94563
I had one give out.. but it was like 20+ years and on it's 3rd car.
BKLA
Very happy with it, (but its new and only has , like, 20 minutes on it). I used the blaster coil and mounted both on the fire wall - oposite each other.

easy access!

Click to view attachment

sorry 'bout the quality of the pic - its what I had here at the office...
sixnotfour
What do you think you will gain over the stock CD box ?
How can you stand to modify your factory 914-6 ?

This is your conscience speaking
6freak
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 6 2009, 08:54 AM) *

What do you think you will gain over the stock CD box ?
How can you stand to modify your factory 914-6 ?

This is your conscience speaking

I dont really know what i will gain. confused24.gif But i have this felling your going to tell me nothing.so i`m guess`n you would not do it..Maybe sell the thing to help offset the cost of the repair and paint ?I`m listening...Maybe i didnt make it clear to other folks that it was a factory 6
6freak
QUOTE(BKLA @ Feb 6 2009, 08:41 AM) *

Very happy with it, (but its new and only has , like, 20 minutes on it). I used the blaster coil and mounted both on the fire wall - oposite each other.

easy access!

Click to view attachment

sorry 'bout the quality of the pic - its what I had here at the office...

My coil is NOT a blaster if they all look like that .Mine is the round kind mounted on the fan shroud stock look`n but red
charliew
These engine bays are too pretty to be in running cars. If you guys drive these cars how much driving time versus cleaning time do you have. If it's like a harley it's 1 hour drive 4hours clean.
J P Stein
When I had a 2.4L T (carbed) motor in my car, it ran fine with the standard CD ignition.
That went away with the 2.7L hot rod motor. I could not get it to run right......after about 6 months of trying I went with the MSD set up and all was well with the world.
I can see no advantage with the MSD unless you're having rough running/plug fouling.
6freak
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 6 2009, 11:50 AM) *

When I had a 2.4L T (carbed) motor in my car, it ran fine with the standard CD ignition.
That went away with the 2.7L hot rod motor. I could not get it to run right......after about 6 months of trying I went with the MSD set up and all was well with the world.
I can see no advantage with the MSD unless you're having rough running/plug fouling.

runs rough when its cold (pop`n and cough`n)because no choke??right....warm it runs great and no plug fouling..... thanks JP Thats two people say`n dont go that route i think, starting to lean towards not doing it
J P Stein
They all run shitty for the first minute or 2....or 5. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Being a witness to how anal you are , about that car, ask bovy,
I would think you would be in a cold sweat trying mount it with out disturbing the originality. Thanks JP
PeeGreen 914
What's originality mean? confused24.gif biggrin.gif

My car is original beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
I made it up, it will be in websters next year if you all start using it.
6freak
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 6 2009, 12:35 PM) *

Being a witness to how anal you are , about that car, ask bovy,
I would think you would be in a cold sweat trying mount it with out disturbing the originality. Thanks JP

Ouch ! OK i got the point ! ...No MSD BOX..Thanks for everyones help and input....You been talking to my wife Jeff??cuz your starting to sound like her... av-943.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 6 2009, 12:58 PM) *

What's originality mean? confused24.gif biggrin.gif

My car is original beerchug.gif

hood might be but its questionable
ConeDodger
WTF.gif Oh... You didn't say it was going on a factory six. Go to your room. You can come out when Jeff says it is ok... mad.gif
Cheapsnake
Had a 6AL in my Cobra and it lasted about 3000 miles. When I mentioned it on another forum I found out how many problems there are with these things. This is why you see a lot of racecars running two MSD boxes in parallel with a toggle switch to kick a new one in when one craps out.

Having said that, if you do go ahead with the MSD, as others have said - Mount it in a cool place. Good luck.

Tom
DBCooper
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Feb 7 2009, 05:01 AM) *

...This is why you see a lot of racecars running two MSD boxes in parallel with a toggle switch to kick a new one in when one craps out.

So they could crap out during a race but every team in NASCAR still runs them? Seems obvious those folks think they contribute something pretty significant to performance. Those million dollar teams would never risk failure unless there's some real return, and that's not the sponsorship money. No amount of sponsorship dollars would make up for a DNF.

I've had units crap out too, but also only after decades of use. They're especially good for engines that use a bit more oil because they've been set up loose, like race cars or aircooled cars, or because the engine has a few miles and is slightly worn, or has a great big cam. Or even just carburetors. If the car runs rich for any reason, like when you have carbs with no choke and blip the throttle to richen on warmup, or drive through big changes in altitude. Any of those scenarios and the multi spark will keep your plugs cleaner, longer times between fouling and replacement, and run better the whole time.
maf914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 7 2009, 05:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Feb 7 2009, 05:01 AM) *

...This is why you see a lot of racecars running two MSD boxes in parallel with a toggle switch to kick a new one in when one craps out.

So they could crap out during a race but every team in NASCAR still runs them? Seems obvious those folks think they contribute something pretty significant to performance. Those million dollar teams would never risk failure unless there's some real return, and that's not the sponsorship money. No amount of sponsorship dollars would make up for a DNF.

I've read that NASCAR specifies that teams run analog MSD ignition boxes and nothing else. Wouldn't want those boys running a digital ignition system now, would you? That recent NASCAR switch to unleaded gas was about enough high tech for this decade! laugh.gif

Okay, back to the topic. laugh.gif
DBCooper
Yeah, they have to run carburetors, too. Stone age, like lots of us.

Digital is better, of course, but those NASCAR guys also have the alternative of running no box at all, which nobody chooses to do. So they must contribute SOMETHING. Or no?

There are lots of situations where a multi-strike box, any kind of multi-strike box, is a good thing.
maf914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 7 2009, 06:34 AM) *

Yeah, they have to run carburetors, too. Stone age, like lots of us.

Uh oh! Last time I checked my 914 it was wearing dual Webers! laugh.gif
DBCooper
Exactly! That's four barrels, so you're just as up to date as NASCAR! laugh.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 5 2009, 06:39 PM) *

I use the MSD 6 al, MDS High Vibration coil, 8.5mm Magnecore wires, Petronix & NKG plugs gapped to .045. Bout 8 years now.....
The unit seems happy there on the right.

As usual, I like what you do...
Is the panel removable with something behind it?
A better pic would be nice...of that panel there...

RIch
J P Stein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 7 2009, 02:30 PM) *

Is the panel removable with something behind it?
A better pic would be nice...of that panel there...

RIch

Auhh.....the panel in front of the fan?
r_towle
The panel (probably removed in the current verion) that you mounted the MSD unit on...the topic we are talking about....

Rich
J P Stein
No panel, just a couple chunks of rubber for an air gap & vibration isolation.
J P Stein
Came across an old pic.....spring 2000.
The first ignition set up. Permatune & stock stuff. Drove me nuts for about 6 months.
I liked the air cleaners but MikeyZ liked them more. biggrin.gif
r_towle
OIC.....the grey primer is what threw me...I thought it was a panel..which seems like a good idea...

Rich
6freak
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 6 2009, 11:11 PM) *

WTF.gif Oh... You didn't say it was going on a factory six. Go to your room. You can come out when Jeff says it is ok... mad.gif

Thats funny...... i did mention it but only after Jeff said something(spanked me) ..i just dont think about that much.I was thinking about it today when i pulled the oil tank out ..What a f*ck#er....loose but still not out the big elbow oil line on the bottoms holding things up i need to buy a 36mm crows foot to get in there too pull the elbow loose and then the tank should come out..so on topick. I didnt even talk about it(MSD) with the P.O this morning we were so busy with all the other stuff.Istill have not decided if im going to put it in the car..I was thinking about the passenger side .inside the fender and run the bolts through under the battiery tray or just above it so the battiery would hide the bolts.but that would put it out in the weather this is Washington and i dont know if it would take that......Im leaning towards NO
J P Stein
The tank will come out with the line attached. The oil filter console has to come off tho.....along with any other attachments. Your chances of loosening that fitting from the tank while in place are about nil......maybe with heat/penetrating oil when it is out of the car.
You aren't the first guy to fight this particular war. biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 9 2009, 06:15 AM) *

The tank will come out with the line attached. The oil filter console has to come off tho.....along with any other attachments. Your chances of loosening that fitting from the tank while in place are about nil......maybe with heat/penetrating oil when it is out of the car.
You aren't the first guy to fight this particular war. biggrin.gif

filter console is off .that elbow on the lower line is hitting the bottom of the fender..is there a trick im missing..JP you know the part # for the o ring between the tank and the oil console and anything else i should get before putting back togather
J P Stein
It's been 10 years since I bought that O ring....I have trouble remembering yesterday. The # is somewhere in my stack of receipts....don't ask me to go there.
You can probably find the # on line in the Pelican catalogue....a good spot to learn to navigate. I'll do that & get back to you....just this once. biggrin.gif

The move to remove & install the tank is, IIRC, back ( & maybe up) then down with a couple wiggles thrown it. It's also a bitch.....a good place to create more words & phrases.
Wear long sleeves & gloves.......

If you go way back in the archives here you will find discussions about it.
J P Stein
2-3 minutes for that.
Don't wanna make it too easy for ya tho. biggrin.gif

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._ENGoil_pg4.htm
6freak
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 9 2009, 07:16 AM) *

It's been 10 years since I bought that O ring....I have trouble remembering yesterday. The # is somewhere in my stack of receipts....don't ask me to go there.
You can probably find the # on line in the Pelican catalogue....a good spot to learn to navigate. I'll do that & get back to you....just this once. biggrin.gif

The move to remove & install the tank is, IIRC, back ( & maybe up) then down with a couple wiggles thrown it. It's also a bitch.....a good place to create more words & phrases.
Wear long sleeves & gloves.......

If you go way back in the archives here you will find discussions about it.

got the # Thanks .....Ok whats IIRC mean ive seen it a few time and just cant figure it out .........I did make a new phrases yesterday GOD F*#!%ING MOTHER F&%$`N CO@K SUCK`N FU*@ER BAST**D...then i went to church so Im ok......LMAO....o yah 999-701-100-50
J P Stein
IIRC means (in internetese) "if I recall correctly".....I tole you I have CRS (can't remember shit) syndrome didn't I? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.