Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 110mm 911 axle CV question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Hi guys,

After a spirited hill climb running through 2nd and 3rd gears I've been hearing what I thought was my transaxle making a new noise. But my GF and I have noticed that the sound doesn't seem to be coming from the transaxle. Rather from the right side of the car.

Now I wonder if it might be a 911 axle CV.

Observations which lead me to suspect this:

The sound is consistent with the RPM of the wheels, not the engine or which gear I might be in.

When the rear of the car is jacked up, I can easily move the left axle in and out of the CV's but can barely move the right axle back and forth.

Does this make the right CV's suspect to my mystery sound?

Is there an easy way to confirm this?

Thanks guys.

Roger
PeeGreen 914
either way a new CV is only $80. You could just buy a new one and see. I believe the only way to really tell if the one is causing this is to take it all apart.
Eric_Shea
Don't you have monster meats on that car? Ever consider the wheel bearing? Might be play in the bearing allowing the stub axle to move.

Regardless, play vs. no play would lead me to suspect "something"

Confirmation? Grab the top of the tire and give it a shake. If it wobbles... wheel bearing. If not, jack it up in the rear and have the GF turn the wheel and listen for fun grinding sounds from down below (on the car, not the GF)
charliew
GF's make huuummming sounds
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 5 2009, 07:50 PM) *

GF's make huuummming sounds

w00t.gif
Dr. Roger
laugh.gif you guys a funny.

well, i checked the wheel bearings and they are good. no play.

rotated the wheels and the right axle can actually move in and out of the CV's, just not quite as freely an the left one. so maybe there is no problem there.

the only way i know how to take off that outer CV is to disassemble the hub/stub procedure because i think i tried to remove those bolts inside the swing axle tube and I couldn't get the bolts off. maybe there is a trick to it?

bueller? bueller?

huh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Feb 6 2009, 06:34 PM) *

the only way i know how to take off that outer CV is to disassemble the hub/stub procedure because i think i tried to remove those bolts inside the swing axle tube and I couldn't get the bolts off. maybe there is a trick to it?

I've always just pulled the halfshaft and then dealt with CV's on the bench.
Pull the cotter, quick zip from the air gun and 30mm socket, pull the shaft inboard. IIRC one side's more of a trick than the other, I also seem to remember that loosening the damper mount to provide more trailing travel helped a lot. But that was a long time ago...

If the last person in there used anti-sieze on the drive splines like they shouldda, the axle should come right out.

Make sure you do the same, because the next person to pull that axle will probably be you...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.