Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: if you where building a six....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i would like to (Re)build up a six( motor) one day, based on a 3.0 or a 3.2
i would like to keep the stock injection on either(for emission reasons)
what configurations would you incorporate in the build up
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 5 2009, 04:18 PM) *

i would like to build up a six one day, based on a 3.0 or a 3.2
i would like to keep the stock injection on either(for emission reasons)
what configurations would you incorporate in the build up

3.2 motronic by all means.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 5 2009, 03:18 PM) *

if you where building a six...., based on a 3.0 or 3.2 what would you do

Sell it and buy a 3.6L ...
laugh.gif Andy
seanery
I agree with the doc on this one. I have all the parts I need (except the 3.2) biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 5 2009, 03:38 PM) *

laugh.gif Andy

i do hear that alot
but i would like to do the build myself with a smaller bore(in need of a top end) and modifying with the help of machinest....
i am thinking of going with a 3.2 with motronic, and building it out
but then again a potent engine can be built off a 3.0 and still use the cis

SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 5 2009, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 5 2009, 03:38 PM) *

laugh.gif Andy

i do hear that alot
but i would like to do the build myself with a smaller bore(in need of a top end) and modifying with the help of machinest....
i am thinking of going with a 3.2 with motronic, and building it out
but then again a potent engine can be built off a 3.0 and still use the cis

In that case, the 3.2L Motronic would be my next choice ...
shades.gif Andy
LarryR
3.2 the motronic is worth the price difference. However, prices seem to have dropped on 3.6's as of late so your really only talking maybe 1500 ish difference for an extra 70 hp
IronHillRestorations
It really depends on what you want. I agree with the point on the 3.6, but that engine will cost alot more to convert.

With you up in the nordern latitudes, you could get by without any auxillary oil cooling for a 3.2 street car.

3.2 Motronic, stock is very cool, reach in turn the key, chipped, even better, no star trek stuff, bolt up-ability, hard to beat.
LarryR
QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 5 2009, 08:36 PM) *

It really depends on what you want. I agree with the point on the 3.6, but that engine will cost alot more to convert.

With you up in the nordern latitudes, you could get by without any auxillary oil cooling for a 3.2 street car.

3.2 Motronic, stock is very cool, reach in turn the key, chipped, even better, no star trek stuff, bolt up-ability, hard to beat.

I actually disagree with the no external cooler on the 3.2 as well as the additional conversion cost of 3.2 vs 3.6.

Ok maybe a cam block off plate on the 3.6, the tube that goes where the on engine oil cooler goes, but that is about it... you can fab the coil mount bracket for free...
SirAndy
QUOTE(LarryR @ Feb 5 2009, 09:30 PM) *

Ok maybe a cam block off plate on the 3.6, the tube that goes where the on engine oil cooler goes, but that is about it... you can fab the coil mount bracket for free...

The 3.6L does not have a engine mounted cooler ... The block off plate is for free and comes with the engine stock from the factory ...
biggrin.gif Andy
LarryR
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 5 2009, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Feb 5 2009, 09:30 PM) *

The 3.6L does not have a engine mounted cooler ... The block off plate is for free and comes with the engine stock from the factory ...
biggrin.gif Andy

I was talking about the one for the power steering side.... but point taken that modifying the on engine oil cooler to work in the 914 is a few bucks... and buying one ready to go is about 500.
pete-stevers
thanks guys. i agree the 3.2 is the best choice..but the question is how would you choose to RE- build the 3.2
and when you rebuild... with what components
number6
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 5 2009, 10:03 PM) *

thanks guys. i agree the 3.2 is the best choice..but the question is how would you choose to RE- build the 3.2
and when you rebuild... with what components

Pete, you may want to poke around the Pelican 911 tech forum for the info you seek. Much discussion about the 3.2 over the years, covering all builds from stock specs to mild to turbo- & supercharged-wild. Lots of great advice, many straight from some of the best builders around.

You may find the following of interest (covers converting the DME brain to EFI):

http://wiki.diyefi.co.uk/Converting_a_Motr...x_to_Megasquirt

Pre-built, plug-'n'-play Megasquirt Motronic boxes:

http://shop.diyefi.co.uk/

If you have your heart set on DME, you may consider bolting up the complete 3.6 induction system (including ECU) to the 3.2, to benefit from the numerous improvements that the former offers. The 3.6 system on the used market is about the same price as the 3.2's - you just need to spend a few hundred extra for the adapters.

Unless you have specific criteria for a rebuild, you'll do way better $-wise to shop for already-built motors, or low-mileage originals in good condition. With the latter route, you can probably get 3-4 (or more) motors for the cost of having 1 full rebuild done (w/o needing the induction sys for subsequent buys, the price will really go down!). 3.2s are easily sourced, so I say just find a good one, drive it w/o abandon, and when it goes, just pick up another. My philosophy, at least.

I'm running a 3.2 w/o front-mounted oil cooler up here in the Pacific NW. That was one of the major selling points for me, to be able to get away w/o cutting up the front of the car. And the upgrade paths are numerous!

-duc
Eric_Shea
I'm going a wacky route with my 3.0... just because.

I'm building a MFI motor that I doubt others would build. Basically, replicating a 2.7RS motor but in 3.0 form. That means:

36mm intakes
JE 9.5:1's
S-Cams
etc...

I want usable power for this application (911).

Now, if I were to do it again, it might be similar but with PMO's or possibly even the PMO injector set-up.

For some reason, anything over 3.0 doesn't interest me. Absolutely NOTHING against those motors, just a personal stopping point I guess plus, I love short strokers for 914's. (real short strokers) wink.gif
pete-stevers
if one was purely hypothisizing
could one run a 3.2 intake set up ...on a short stroke 2.8/3.0 built on a turbo case w a 2.0 crank
and if so what cams would make the engine streetable
i still can't get this combo out of my head
Eric you might like a short stroke...
but i like a screamer piratenanner.gif
PeeGreen 914
blink.gif All that sounds a bit... ummm... well you know happy11.gif

I believe Fordahl used a 3.0l or 3.2l to create Leeds 2.8l and it really screams around. I still want to drive that car piratenanner.gif
seanery
There was a 914 with a destroked 3.0 that ended up at 2.8 that I used to see at the tracks here in the midwest. I think it was one of the Kelly Moss prepped cars. It was typically one of the fastest cars on the track. It was absolutely a screamer! Now, it probably wouldn't have been as much fun on the street, though.
Eric_Shea
Eric you might like a short stroke...
but i like a screamer

Screamer that would be. I personally think S-Cams are the top end limit of "streetable". Compression ratio will also make a difference.

I really don't consider my 2.5 streetable. I define streetable by useable torque below a certain RPM. This is exactly why the 2.5 is going in the 914 and the 3.0 will be largely stock S configuration. I think a 3.0 in S configuration should pull close to 240hp with a decent torque range.
pete-stevers
But then chappy has a great 3.1 and i hear they really spin too
i have no aversion to going bigger either, a 3.2 or .4 on a 3.0 block would be an ok compromise, but then you might as well destroke a 3.6( but i would like to avoid twin plugs)
but really my main goal is to work with the 3.0 or 3.2 with stock induction so i can drive it on the street, and pass emissions once every two years
so the s cam is out of the mix
and i would like the motor to be happy all around....not to toppy
MDG
Hi Steve, great job on the car BTW, I've been following your other thread. Nice colour choice too!

Do you have to pass emissions in BC for the 914? In Ontario anything over 25 years is exempt.

of course with our government that could change without notice dry.gif

mike
pete-stevers
yes emissions every year ...but you can skip buy one year by re-insuring before the emissions due date, no models are exempt
so if i am running a 914 that had a injected 2.0 in it as registered in its original life the converted car must run with the same emission numbers to pass in BC,
the best would be to have a original carbed 914-6, as a platform, but all of us can't be that lucky
pete-stevers
come mr Hines..does the cat have your tongue??
what can one do
with a
or a 3.2.....
J P Stein
The 3.2L runs cleaner, better & with more poop. Sounds like a slam dunk...or slap shot if you prefer. biggrin.gif
I read of 9eleben Carrera guys passing smog with no cats.... confused24.gif
drgchapman
I think mine is pretty perfect. Especially with the flares and bigger tiars.
sixnotfour
I think mine is pretty perfect. Especially with the flares and bigger tiars

Gary that sounds like a" Peter Perfect " line (Peter Greg/ Brumos)
Nice Ride,i love this shot.
pete-stevers
zee question still stands....
vat can be done to zee 3.2
and still pass eeemissions
sixnotfour
you just keep singing the short stroke tune.

3.2- cams , steve wong chip, be happy,enjoy the long stroke
pretty much what Drchapman has.
J P Stein
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 8 2009, 09:52 PM) *

zee question still stands....
vat can be done to zee 3.2
and still pass eeemissions

Not much, AFAIK.
As Jeff says, cams & chip. I don't think the gains are that large. The best place to ask for BTDT experience is over at the Pelican 9eleben forum....you'll get responses. See if you can get before & after dyno data rather than seat of the pants. I figure the headers/muffler you'll have to use will give you the largest single gain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.