Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: I'M MOVING! Saturday Helpers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
My shop is moving from Napa. I'm going 15 minutes down the road to Sonoma. I'm getting 2.5x the space for the same price. It's going to be glorious to have more room than I know what to do with. boldblue.gif

If anyone is willing and able, I could use some help on Saturday. I would love to have someone bring a truck and trailer to move a few cars (I'll pay for gas). But I could also use some help cleaning up the place and building some walls. So I need movers, cleaners, and builders (saw, hammer, nail).

Free pizza and beer, and my undying gratitude are your rewards. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 5 2009, 04:27 PM) *

my undying gratitude are your rewards.

Oh my ... w00t.gif

I might be able to schwing that, what time on Sat. and where to meet up?
idea.gif Andy
EdwardBlume
Congrats on the new digs Mark! beer.gif
Dr Evil
Dang, thats nice smile.gif I would help if I where there.
scottb
congrats!

i have a truck, compressor, nailers, saws, nail gun that uses explosives! biggrin.gif , but the distance thing is an issue.... mad.gif

best to you and your crew!

McMark
Probably easiest to meet at my existing shop (1739 Action Ave) around 9 - 9:30 am and go from there.
BKLA
Have fun and Wish we were there....

From those of us that are G.U. (geographically undesirable!)
LarryR
I should be able to help out...

rick 918-S

nice! Wish I was out there, I'd help! aktion035.gif
dw914er
if I wasnt picking up parts, I would go...

(ill be in santa clara that morning)
dw914er
how long do you expect this to run?

I have to be in slo by 3 pm
McMark
Not really sure how long we'll be there, but I usually work until 8pm. smash.gif yawn.gif
PeeGreen 914
Wish I could help. Sounds like fun. I love setting up shop. beerchug.gif
johnnie5
If enough people don't chime in let me know, I will make the run up to the Bay area to help out. Is there any electrical work needed?
ConeDodger
You can use my trailer Mark. Here is the thing though. My truck has a check engine light due to a bad coil on the #1 cylinder. The coil is backordered and if we try to do anything other than light acceleration the darn thing feels like it is going to blow up... That is with NO trailer attached! I am not much use either as I am having knee surgery in a week or so... But, the trailer is yours if you need it... sad.gif
r_towle
Good luck Mark.
From someone who knows (see signature) you will fill it right up...no matter how big it is...it happens way to fast.

Build lots and lots of heavy shelf units

Rich
LarryR
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 5 2009, 07:04 PM) *

You can use my trailer Mark. Here is the thing though. My truck has a check engine light due to a bad coil on the #1 cylinder. The coil is backordered and if we try to do anything other than light acceleration the darn thing feels like it is going to blow up... That is with NO trailer attached! I am not much use either as I am having knee surgery in a week or so... But, the trailer is yours if you need it... sad.gif

We could hook the trailer up to my jeep if no one else with a truck...

dw914er
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 5 2009, 06:44 PM) *

Not really sure how long we'll be there, but I usually work until 8pm. smash.gif yawn.gif

yea, i realized it was a 4 hour drive from sonoma back to slo, and a 1.5 hour drive from santa clara. I dont think I can make it, but if you need some help settling in the next few weeks let me know. beerchug.gif
McMark
Thanks Rob! I have a trailer available here in Napa. But we can lay you on the ground next to an oil slick with a rag and a brush. laugh.gif
jgara962
I can help out for a few hours.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 5 2009, 07:15 PM) *

Thanks Rob! I have a trailer available here in Napa. But we can lay you on the ground next to an oil slick with a rag and a brush. laugh.gif

I can see it now... A couple of furniture dollies and a spray bottle of Simple Green and rags... Mark would just move me around from place to place! av-943.gif
McMark
av-943.gif
echocanyons
I can lend a hand for a couple hours late saturday morning, I plan to be in the area thumb3d.gif
GTeener
Congrats on the new digs.
maf914
QUOTE(BKLA @ Feb 5 2009, 05:12 PM) *

Have fun and Wish we were there....

From those of us that are G.U. (geographically undesirable!)

laugh.gif I like to say G.C. Geographically Challenged! laugh.gif

Congratulations on your new shop, Mark. Move to Savannah and I'll help. laugh.gif
McMark
Looking forward to tomorrow.

We'll be back and forth between Napa and Sonoma.

The address of the Napa shop is 1739 Action Ave (94559)
The address of the Sonoma shop is 19660 Eighth St. East (95476)

If you need to get ahold of me, I'll have my cell phone on me at all times (707) 738-5686.
LarryR
I'm headed up there in about 15-20 minutes...

see everyone there..
Joe Bob
Can't help as I'm too far away, but good luck.
seanery
so, how'd it go? how's it going? got any new pics? Any blood spilled?
LarryR
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 7 2009, 04:12 PM) *

so, how'd it go? how's it going? got any new pics? Any blood spilled?

I dont think we got as far as would have been liked today... we did pretty much clear out the old shop and get everything inside the new shop but we did not get the cleaning done....

McMark
Thanks to LarryR, jgara962, SirAndy, echocanyons, jkeyzer (+Kylie), did I forget anyone? blink.gif It's been a LOOOOONG day.

We got everything out of the old shop and everything cleaned/swept, which is a huge deal. YAY!!!

The new shop has an extremely resilient oil/dirt coated floor. So we tried to powerwash it with degreaser added in. It cleaned up the few oily areas on the walls, but didn't really seem do much to the floor. Fortunately, after everyone left and we took one more trip back to Napa to drop off the trailer and truck, we spent some time re-evaluating our efforts and I think that because of the pressure washing and degreaser, what was once a sticky coating, is now more 'liquid'. So tomorrow I'm picking up a floor buffer, so we'll see how that works. It'll all be worth it in the end.

Thanks again to everyone! You really, really helped a ton.
seanery
maybe you need some of that purple stuff and let it sit for a while then powerwash after it has had a chance to soak through the gook.
LarryR
So how did the floors turn out with the floor polisher?
736conver
I find laundry soap ,liquid, works really good on oil impregnated concrete.
mightyohm
The floor wasn't just oil impregnated. Parts of the floor had a 1/8" thick layer of oil/grease/dirt/metal that had been compacted and driven into the concrete from 40 years of foot and rolling traffic. By the end of the night we had over 200 pounds of gunk that came off the floor.

The good news is that the floor polisher worked, but the pressure washer was still needed to blast gunk out from the worst areas. Mark and Kelly finished 1/2 of the building in 12 hours yesterday, I was there for about 4 of those.
rhodyguy
mark, after cutting as much of the grease as you can, try a gallon of white vinegar on a few spots. OIL-Eater should work well. get it at costco.

k
mightyohm
Oh yeah, next time you talk to Mark ask him what the term "ambient oil" means. biggrin.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Feb 9 2009, 08:40 AM) *

The floor wasn't just oil impregnated. Parts of the floor had a 1/8" thick layer of oil/grease/dirt/metal that had been compacted and driven into the concrete from 40 years of foot and rolling traffic. By the end of the night we had over 200 pounds of gunk that came off the floor.

The good news is that the floor polisher worked, but the pressure washer was still needed to blast gunk out from the worst areas. Mark and Kelly finished 1/2 of the building in 12 hours yesterday, I was there for about 4 of those.

Wow 200 pounds of gunk! It seemed like it was going to be a huge chore. Do the floors look like concrete now?

ConeDodger
QUOTE(LarryR @ Feb 9 2009, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Feb 9 2009, 08:40 AM) *

Wow 200 pounds of gunk! It seemed like it was going to be a huge chore. Do the floors look like concrete now?

Wow indeed! If I took 200# of oil off the floor in my garage, I would wait until the price of oil went back up and sell it as a barrel of crude!

With all the oil on the floor, the previous shop must have worked on aircooled engines too!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.