Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from new member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Larry001
Hello to Pat and you 914 owners from an old timer who's still kicking and loves to discover that such a large following of 914 lovers get together on this fantastic web site.

Not here to boar you, but to say I am excited to find a place where I can occasionally add something hopefully useful about these great and venerable machines.

Briefly, my Porsche years began in 1960 when I bought a used '59 356 coupe because my first sports car, a '57 AH 106 got smashed while driving in a small TN. town and was totaled, allowing my insurance check to be useful. That was a revelation in how absolutely lacking a Porsche is in rattles and other english car shortcomings of those days.

After a few years and a few other Porsches came and went, I was asked to consider being a salesman for a new Porsche-Audi dealer at the beginning of such collaboration. Of coarse I accepted in that year of 1969, and became the first hired salesman under the 4 state Mid America VW distribution umbrella. I carried sales # 001.

It was exciting to learn of the new affordable 914 model about to be released. There was one european version sent to our sales area to be circulated from dealer to dealer for all to see and drive. The mechanics were especially interested to see how a VW powered sportster did its thing.

Upon our return of the car to St. Louis Mid Am. Hqtrs., it was my privilege to be the one at the dealership to do the drive[225 mi. approx] It was December and snowing lightly as I entered the I-70 heading east. I felt totally comfortable with the stability in snow at highway speed, except the VDO european speedo was kph and left me guessing my speed. I passed every car in the left snow covered lane while every other car hovered in the worn right lane. To my surprise I reached St.L. city limits before 3 1/2 hrs passed. I was flown home where I asked our german mechanic "how fast is 150 kpk?" When he replied "About 90 mph", I was shocked.

Thought you might like this tru story. I hope to post other times in the futuer and also have a few interesting parts to offer after I dig them out. I did personally own a '73 2.0 914, and '70 914-6.

Best wishes to all.
Larry001
ssstikircr
welcome.png
Pat Garvey
Larry, we've all been first at something in our live - think about it the rest of you.

This group welcomes you with open arms!

Explore. Find you're niche. Impart you'r wisdom.

Welcome to the world of 914 extremests. Some are purists & some are idividualsts. We may agrue about specifics, but we are all truely buds.

Of course, I am correect, and the others are rebels. But they serve a purpose.

Man, will I catch hell for this!
Pat
jc914
driving.gif welcome.png
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
McMark
Glad you found us and are sharing stories from the good ol' days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.