Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bouncy tach solution (really monster tach install)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stecz
I saw some info somewhere at some time on how to swap the stock tach with an autometer 5" tach. Anyone have a pointer to it?

thanks
cha914
welcome to the board...there is really nothing to it..just buy an Autometer Monster, pull the old one out, slide the new one in (after getting the wiring correct that is...but its pretty simple)

The hole isn't a perfect fit, I am using the old rubber gasket to hold mine in, but I have heard others use some tape to build up the OD of the new tach to make the fit better.

Good luck...I love that tach, smooth operation...

Tony
john rogers
I have had an Autometer tach in my race 914 for several years. I used the old rubber ring for a snug fit and made sure the tach was set for the correct # of cylinders. You will loose the turn signal bulbs that were originally in the stock tach and I found I had to leave the bulbs in so the outside signals would work although that may not be true for all years. Good luck
campbellcj
Is this John S. with my old ravenna car? Welcome to the board!

Shoot...I just ebay'ed a really clean 73 2.0 tach out of my current car (which is now a -6). I woulda sent it to you if I knew you needed one.
stecz
yep it's me...
You had a tach that didn't bounce? I didn't think that was possible. laugh.gif
Mark Henry
I have a monster tach as well.
Total rock solid and very cool looking. Doesn't bounce a bit and is way more accurate.

All I did was silly-cone mine in. I just used some mini lights from Radio Shack for the idiot lights.
campbellcj
Nah, I think all the early VDO tachs bounce to some extent...but this one was pretty decent. Isn't there some kind ballast thingie that controls the bouncing? Maybe it is adjustable or replaceable? confused24.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Where can I get an Autometer Tach? Local FLAPS or Pep Boys or what?
Cheers, Elliot
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 20 2004, 09:49 PM)
Where can I get an Autometer Tach?

Summit Racing ...
stecz
In the new summit catalog, they have a new autometer 5" with an 8000 rpm redline. It's pretty basic (no replay, no shift light), but it's also not the lower line "autogage" that autometer sells. That's the one I'm looking at $109 or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.