Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice one to watch on ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...A1%7C240%3A1318

Beautiful car. Was offered for 18k last summer. High end repaint.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 6 2009, 08:54 AM) *

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...A1%7C240%3A1318

Beautiful car. Was offered for 18k last summer. High end repaint.

and the question is why does a 6500 mile car need a repaint?
Porsche Rescue
Not stated by seller, but I think he is representing paint as original.
First factory cloth (non-plaid) seats I have seen. At least they should be factory with only 6500 miles on the car.
markb
Still has the sticker on the horn button. Nice. I'd be afraid to ever drive it.
michaelmoo
It's missing the clock, looks to have a pressure gauge, and has a 73 temp gauge. Unless they switched back after 74. Seems wierd for a 6500 mile car.
tod914
I spoke to the 2nd owner last year. I was going to purchase it until I discovered it was repainted. From what I recall, he said the one door was scratched, so the 1st owner had the whole exterior resprayed. Looked like a very high end job from what I could tell in the photos that were sent at the time.
Porsche Rescue
Hmmmm. Maybe that explains the seats, guages, etc. There must be a story here somewhere.
Cevan
It's missing the cover for the brake reservoir. Ok, I had to nitpik. biggrin.gif
championgt1
Monza exhaust? confused24.gif
SteveL
Don't miss the 4 tip Monza muffler.
I agree it is a very nice looking car, but why a new muffler after 6500 miles?
turboman808
That is a really nice paint job that's for sure. I would be able to forgive it for being resprayed with paint that nice. But thats me.
charliew
I hope the bidders know for sure what they are bidding on. That car seems to have several differences from my original 75. That vin is 5000 later than my 75.
johnnie5
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 6 2009, 08:20 AM) *

Hmmmm. Maybe that explains the seats, guages, etc. There must be a story here somewhere.

agree.gif Something smells a little funny here. The 'whole story' is obviously not being told.

tod914
When I spoke with the owner last year, he was very forth comming. Spoke with his mechanic as well. Maybe someone can give him a call and see. He had the car up north for a while, then moved it to Fla.
I no longer have any of the coorespondence or pictures.

seems corduroy seats inserts were offered in 75; option 705 for black. pg. 91 johnson book
type47
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 6 2009, 09:05 AM) *

Nice. I'd be afraid to ever drive it.

agree.gif
carr914
I had to try to make it a toy

Click to view attachment
Slick914
I would be pissed if I bought that car and then found out it had been repainted! The seller is obviously trying to hide that fact. dry.gif

I emailed the seller at the start of the auction to see if he had the original exhaust and dealer installed radio. He said no radio and he would check on the exhaust, but never heard back.

It's a beautiful car, but I agree that the whole story and facts might not be disclosed. Is a 75 1.8 really worth 18k? I could understand if it was all original, but it obviously has parts changed and the undisclosed repaint. busted.gif
jc914
its to good to be true with only 6500 miles why were things changed (radio, exhaust.........) I have to say it does look nice but original screwy.gif
r_towle
Radio...it originally was a POS...I would unbolt that original and replace it...no question the stereos of the 80's and 90's and 2000's were much more advanced.

Muffler..its a 34 year old car...do you think an untreated muffler should last that long? When you drive a car is creates moisture in the muffler..then they rust...even more in a car that only is used for short drives and then left to sit for months...

Those two items are bolt on replacements...piece of cake.
It think its a very nice example of a rust free clean car.

I wish mine was as nice.

Rich
rick 918-S
I'm curious why no engine or chassis shots. And is it just me or do the quarters look pulled. Look at the clearance between the tire and the lip and the roundness of the panel.
MDG
I agree overall it looks like a pretty nice car. As noted earlier the clock has been swapped out of the console; I wonder if it's original to the car period.

Always understood the 3 gauge console was 2.0 only; could be wrong though - maybe they changed it in '75.

My brother's '74 1.8 had the appearance pkg. but not console. Also, if this car came with the app. pkg. wouldn't that include fog lights?
nomore9one4
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 7 2009, 08:32 AM) *

I agree overall it looks like a pretty nice car. As noted earlier the clock has been swapped out of the console; I wonder if it's original to the car period.

Always understood the 3 gauge console was 2.0 only; could be wrong though - maybe they changed it in '75.

My brother's '74 1.8 had the appearance pkg. but not console. Also, if this car came with the app. pkg. wouldn't that include fog lights?

My 75 1.8 came with the 3 gauge center console.It was original. smile.gif
orthobiz
I thought Fuchs wheels weren't offered in 75/76?

Paul
tod914
All the options were piece mealed from 74 on. Fuchs and Mahle's available for those years as well. My 74 has and odd configuration too.
black bumpers w/fog lights, center console, sail vinal, tinted glass, but no sway bars. Also seen a 73 2.0 with no sail vinal but all the other goodies; original car. Think the key issue with that one is the lack of disclosure on the repaint. You can
see there is no vin decal in the door jam. Hope the new owner is aware of that.
tod914
Anyone get the final price? Last I seen was $23,100.00
levonfarra
I thought the window cranks were also changed to the flat plastic VW Rabbit type in for the 1975 and 1976 models
Porsche Rescue
Seller ended the auction early because of "an error in the listing". I think there were many errors in the listing!
tod914
LoL @ errors, Jim. Or lack of disclosure. Figured it was a done deal once it went past reserve. Private sale maybe?
6freak
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 7 2009, 08:05 AM) *

I'm curious why no engine or chassis shots. And is it just me or do the quarters look pulled. Look at the clearance between the tire and the lip and the roundness of the panel.

I seen that too but was not gonna say anything.for fear of getting bashed for bashing a nice look`n car smile.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 6 2009, 08:33 AM) *

It's missing the cover for the brake reservoir. Ok, I had to nitpik. biggrin.gif

there was a cover for those ???? really
Slick914
It's back...

On Ebay

Seller didn't change the ad either. He has read this thread because I sent him a link to it. He was upset because he thought his picture shouldn't have been altered and placed in the thread without his permission. I advised him to register so he could post a reply but I guess he wasn't interested. confused24.gif
914rrr
We were curious about the 914 when it was first on Ebay. We asked the guy to provide some photos of both trunks, without the pads and to provide some photos of the engine.
He was very snippy. He told us that "if we are implying there is rust, to get on a plane and come see it for ourselves." He only provided pics of the topside of the engine, which certainly does not look low mileage to us. When we questioned him on the absence of the color coded vacuum hoses, he got more testy, and told us he would not answer anymore questions.

He is probably getting alot of emails questioning some of his statements about the car, and it is wearing on his nerves. 914 owners are serious about their cars, and we hate for someone to mislead an unsuspecting/uninformed buyer.
tod914
From what I recall, the trunks were perfect. The underside; engine bar had rust on it along with some other tin pieces. Guess condensation from storage got to it. Was suggested to use a vapor barrier between the car and concreet to prevent that. No issues with the body/pans (going on memory from a year ago) Can't recall the condition of the exchangers. I'm curious about the rear wheel wells if they are flared or not. Despite the issues, still a very beautiful car and bound to take home some tropheys.

SirAndy
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 13 2009, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 6 2009, 08:33 AM) *

there was a cover for those ???? really

Only an *option* on very early cars. I don't think that cover was still available in '75/'76 ...

So either way, it's not missing as it would have been optional anyways.
shades.gif Andy
rjames
seems corduroy seats inserts were offered in 75; option 705 for black. pg. 91 johnson book

Yup, my '75 has them.
tod914
Back on ebay again. Wonder what the poop is.
Michael N
Gone again.

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

Wonder if it was sold outside Ebay. I'd be interested in the final price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.