Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All taped up and ready for paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

This afternoon I'll set everything up and tomarrow
my baby gets a new coat. This time I stir the paint
frequently and paint all the parts at the same time.

Click to view attachment
In between teener-work, I've started the Prelude
project. The interior is pulled out and I put in a new
lense for the guages. Valve cover has been stripped
and repainted with black wrinkle. Most of the trim
work is off. I haven't decided if I'm going to pull the
glass out or just paint around it.

Oh I got my photos backwards, but you can figure out
which is the 914 and the Prelude.
tod914
Hope it goes smoothly for you Billy. Going to be some car once it's done.
Gint
Looks pretty good in primer! Good luck...
PanelBilly
I don't need luck, I need skill!
jonferns
Third time's a charm. Good luck!
rjames
What color, and what happened the last 2 times? (I must have missed the earlier posts).

Man I wish I had a spare tub and the room (and of course the time) to attempt a paint job. It almost sounds fun. idea.gif
slow914
flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif

Butt matching gulf blue is something to write home about, If you pull it off you are the man, If you give up then throw the doors and hoods on it and open blend over your jamb lines to be a baller

Pastels are probably even harder than metallic silver, but what do I know I'm just a body man

flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
r_towle
I may be wrong here...but this is what I remember from previous threads.

First time the clear coat got messed up..
With a base/clear once you sand through to the base, you need to respray the basecoat...so I think once he went through the clear in certain spots, he decided to sand all the clear off, shoot new base and clear.

Second time he sprayed the tub in one session and the removable panels in another session...this resulted in different colors due to different paint blends..paint not stirred...who knows...Its really hard to match paint from two batches of paint/reducer.

Sounds like this time he is planning to do all the panels with the tub at the same time with the same batch...he should be fine.

I think the quality of work that he is doing is fantastic...just bad luck with the paint.

We bought (my cheap ass son) some paint from Ebay...
it was 50 bucks for the gallon.
Well, you get what you pay for...Since he wrapped the car around a tree, its not as painful to see all the paint peeling off in sheets.

Rich
seanery
man, it looks great in primer! :drool:
r_towle
I think that is just 400 or 600 grit sanded flat...
Its the last two coats of paint...

Rich
greenie
"This afternoon I'll set everything up and tomarrow
my baby gets a new coat. This time I stir the paint
frequently and paint all the parts at the same time."

Billy??? Are you out there?

Friday Night you're getting ready for paint , no word from you since?

I'm getting a little worried.

Maybe he just doesn't want to post on his latest failure, or he's out celebrating his success?
championgt1
I hope he is celebrating. Pics, Billy?
sixnotfour
He's probably cruisin the Honda sites. w00t.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 8 2009, 09:03 PM) *

He's probably cruisin the Honda sites. w00t.gif

dry.gif That's just not nice laugh.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(greenie @ Feb 8 2009, 05:49 PM) *

Maybe he just doesn't want to post on his latest failure, or he's out celebrating his success?

It's that chick he met, I just know it...
PanelBilly
Friday was a late night, moving everything over to the neighbors shop. Saturday was a long day. We decided to pull the car off the rotessie and set it down on jack stands so it would be easier to reach everything. It was a pain in the ass, because there were only two of us and we had to be careful not to let it slip. Everything looked good on the first coat of color, except the trunk. There were a few tiny spots were the clear wasn't smooth enough, so we stopped and re-wetsanded the part with 600. The second attempt at the color coat looked more like it. Sunday I worked on painting the walls of the shop, since the car wasn't in the way. I figured it would be a lot nicer to work in the space if it had a new coat of white on it. I attached some photos to a new thread, if you want to see how it turned out. It looks good right now, but I'll realy know when its cut and buffed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.