Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 fender bender today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pktzygt
I am angry but my classic car insurance will cover the damage. I just need someone to point me to a decent body shop. The damage seems to be limited to the drivers front fender, bumper and foglight, side marker light and horn. The headlight and hood seem to be spared and the foglight grill was not even on.

I've been feeling lousy for 2 weeks today. Now this! I want to go back home. headbang.gif
r_towle
What do you need?

Rich
pktzygt
Other than body shop reccomendations, I assume I will have to find my own fender, bumper and foglight.
r_towle
Post a picture.
In some cases its better to pull the fender back out...in that case I would be looking for a local body shop that has talent.

Rainer Cooley (look him up on www.356registry.org)

If you need to replace the fender, Rainer can do it, but Foley would be better due to more experience with the 914.

I am not sure if Rainer works with Insurance companies, nor do I know how you could make that happen.

The other place to check is with Mike Grisham (Berwick)
Mike owned Foreign Intrigue (google that) which was a parts company..he also has a repair shop.
Mike sold the parts business, but retained the repair shop.
Call the 800 number for Foreign Intrigue...tell the new owner you need to talk to Mike, he will tell you his new contact details.

Mike is more local to you, he still does the repair business, and he will not only have a used fender for you, he may be able to work with the insurance company as well.

Mike is very good, 35 years in the business, and abarn full of used parts.
He just sold off the new parts (online and catalog business) a few years ago.

Rich
r_towle
Rainer is a restoration shop...he can easily do it...
He does alot of 356 restoration work.

Mike is a repair shop..he can easily do the swap, but probably does not do paint and bodywork.

I would contact both and tell them your plight...Mike will be very helpful and steer you towards people he trusts that are local.

Rich
r_towle
Rainer

Meister Restorations
Owners: Rainer Cooney and Jerry Draco
Shipping (UPS etc) Address:1414 Suncook Valley Rd
Center Barnstead, NH. 03225
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 846
Alton, NH. 03809
Tel: 603-776-3561

r_towle
Mike in VA...
You want the previous owner Mike in Berwick ME.
Mike in VA is really cool...just call and talk to him..he will give you all the phone numbers

www.foreignintrigue.com

Rich
pktzygt
Thanks again. This is the 2nd time you've helped me out.

I am almost positive it will have to be replaced. The turnsignal area is smashed up pretty good.

I am at work all night tonight, but will post pics tomorrow.
pktzygt
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 7 2009, 09:14 AM) *

If you need to replace the fender, Rainer can do it, but Foley would be better due to more experience with the 914.

Who is Foley and do you know a contact # for him?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Feb 7 2009, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 7 2009, 09:14 AM) *

Racer Chris on this board... His shop is CFR or something like that. He used to have a banner ad... He is the designer and manufacturer or the Tangerine Racing Header.
r_towle
www.tangerineracing.com

Rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Feb 7 2009, 10:45 AM) *

:inset ears burning smiley here:
biggrin.gif

My shop is a bit far for you (Manchester, CT) but we only work on 914s.
We aren't a body shop so we can't paint it here, but all the metal work is easy for us. I doubt you need a replacement fender.
pktzygt
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 7 2009, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Feb 7 2009, 10:45 AM) *

:inset ears burning smiley here:
biggrin.gif

My shop is a bit far for you (Manchester, CT) but we only work on 914s.
We aren't a body shop so we can't paint it here, but all the metal work is easy for us. I doubt you need a replacement fender.

I thought that you were who he was referring to, but i'm still learning names on the board. It was a pretty hard glancing blow, but everyone seems to think the fender won't have to be replaced (crossing fingers). I need to take a better look at it myself. I was kinda mad and parked it in the garage and have been at work since 5am. I know the front trunk opens and closes perfectly, I didn't see any damage from inside the trunk. The headlight went up fine, but it looks like the fender or bumper moved the little piece of of metal in front of the headlight and it won't go down all the way. The foglight, bumper, turn signal, sidemarker and valence are toast.

I'll start calling around for someone who can work with the insurance company. Maybe I'll have to take it to one shop for body work and one for the paint.

I have classic car insurance through American Modern Insurance Company. They said they would send someone out in about 3 days or they would just ask for pictures. I'm hoping that means this process will go smoothly.

I'm so sad. Still kicking myself.
ConeDodger
As the fender is part of the unibody it is best if you can work it so it is repaired. This used to be the norm... Example, Porsche assisted drivers once rolled two of the Spyders on the way to a race in Europe. The cars looked far worse than yours possibly could. They were both fixed. It takes skill and some shops don't have it but metalworking the fender can preserve what you have and prevent a cut and weld situation. welder.gif
fud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 7 2009, 12:15 PM) *

As the fender is part of the unibody it is best if you can work it so it is repaired. This used to be the norm... Example, Porsche assisted drivers once rolled two of the Spyders on the way to a race in Europe. The cars looked far worse than yours possibly could. They were both fixed. It takes skill and some shops don't have it but metalworking the fender can preserve what you have and prevent a cut and weld situation. welder.gif

One of the best in the area is right up the street from you, in Elliot. Steve's Auto, right off of Rt. 236, across from the airport. His number is 439 3561.
pktzygt
I made some phone calls and it seems like Steves Auto Body might be the place to go. Mike Grisham reccommended them and they are very close to me. I spoke to them and they do work on 911's, but not as many 914's hopefully they work out.

Mike said that even painted bumpers are going to be hard to find. Do you guys have any ideas?

By the way, I have pictures, but I'm having trouble posting them.
pktzygt
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Feb 10 2009, 03:03 PM) *

I made some phone calls and it seems like Steves Auto Body might be the place to go. Mike Grisham reccommended them and they are very close to me. I spoke to them and they do work on 911's, but not as many 914's hopefully they work out.

Mike said that even painted bumpers are going to be hard to find. Do you guys have any ideas?

By the way, I have pictures, but I'm having trouble posting them.

It looks like a body shop estimate for fender repair, new bumper, some trunk repair, new bumper, valence, lenses, ect comes out to just over $5,000. Since I had an $8000 insurance policy with a $0 deductable and a $100 yearly insurance premium on the car I paid $2,000 for, I get to collect my $8000 check and spend it elsewhere.

I would never crash a car intentionally, especially one that I love so much, but I really made out on this accident.

The insurance company will not allow me to buy it back for liability reasons. Since I don't have a dealers licence to buy it at auctioon, I tipped off Mike Grishman who's company is now called Autosport Northeast that the car will be going to auction and where. Hopefully he will be nice to me when I come to him for parts.

By the way, if you've never been to a Porsche restoration shop you should go visit. I took a tour of Mike's inventory of spare parts. I was in awe. AutoAtlanta was a cool place to visit too, but this was my first time lookin at all the spare parts.
Mike Grishman's website www.AutosportNortheast.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.