Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The skyrat board is cracking down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
READ ME - Guidelines for Posting in This Forum...
I have created this forum as an area where our customers can buy, sell and trade used parts. As such, there are a couple of guidelines that you must follow if you consent to use this board:

Listing Guidelines:

- No commercial postings allowed, unless you specifically clear it with me first.

- No new parts allowed, unless you specifically clear it with me first. Exceptions are if you have one or two small trinkets left over in a box from a long time ago. Selling more than quantity one of a new item is prohibited.

- No rebuilt parts allowed, if they compete with items sold by Pelican.

- No illegal items allowed (items that are counterfeit, or are illegally copies such as PET).

- Listing and placing links to items on eBay *is* allowed, providing that you specifically list a description of the item, and then give a link. No blind links.

- You may *bump* your ad, but no more than once every three (3) days. Ads that have been bumped more than five (5) times may be deleted.

- The more text and photos you add, the more likely you are to sell. Add as many photos and as much text description as you need to adequately describe the parts.

- Try to avoid using capital letters and explanation marks in the listing titles - these only serve to irritate people and thus they may skip over your listing.

- Turn on "Email Notification" for your ads so that you know when someone has posted a comment or question in the ad.

- PayPal (www.paypal.com) is a very useful form of payment that is very popular with eBay auctions. People who accept PayPal typically get paid faster and have increased interest in their listings.

Buyer's Guidelines:

- It is appropriate to respond to an ad by either emailing or sending the seller a Personal Message (PM) through the board. Try to avoid replying directly to the post, except when you have specific questions that may help others looking at the ad. More often than not, PMs and emails reach the seller quicker than do responses to the post.

- Be polite, and don't trash someone else's listing. It's not polite to point out that the person is selling this part when there is one cheaper on eBay. However, if there are visible errors in the listing, it is then appropriate to follow up with comments.

- Check out the seller before sending your $$$. Get full information, including multiple phone numbers, addresses. Do a search on Pelican to see if this person has a lengthy posting history and/or has sold items here before. Bad news travels fast, so double-check the archives, particularly on purchases that are high dollar.

- Use the search engine, but make sure that you check the date on the ad if you reply. If an ad is from 2001 and you reply to it, it will appear like the ad is recent.

- Use the search engine to compare pricing and availability of an item. None of the previous ads are deleted, so you have access to a vast group of listings that you can use to track pricing trends, and availability.

Disclaimer:

Pelican Parts Incorporated provides this free classifieds listing service as a courtesy to our customers. By no means are the listings here condoned, reviewed, or edited by Pelican staff. Caveat emptor - buyer beware. We will not actively assist in mediating any complaints with respect to any trasactions resulting from the placement of a classified ad.
DuckRyder
Seems reasonable enough.
Joe Bob
Well, he didn't specifically ban counterfeit stickers.... blink.gif

My comment is....what took him so long? Lotta liability if he ever gets sued....now the enforcement is another matter.
TimT
Dunno... Im kinda down on Pelican right now.. I think they.. and some others made our sway bar group buy go south..

Having said that Ill never buy one of Tarrets Products... and I have no need to ever buy anything from Pelican..

I had many sources to buy Porsche parts before Pelican was ever a blip on the Porsche scene..I have many more sources now..

No rebuilt items allowed? WTF?

No new parts allowed? WTF?
JWest
I have not been over there much for a while, but when I have I have noticed things like Dave from GPR posting and other oddities. I think it was a total lack of moderation on their part that let it go too far for too long, and now they are over-compensating to try to get control back.
Joe Bob
His beach, his waves, his rules.....
seanery
Lots of beaches in the world!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 20 2004, 04:50 PM)
No rebuilt items allowed? WTF?

No new parts allowed? WTF?

Can be summed up by:

"Don't sell stuff on our board that is the exact same thing that we as a business are selling." (Or, "We didn't put this board here to allow everyone else to cut our throats.")

Sounds pretty reasonable, if perhaps overly-inclusive, to me...

--DD
mightyohm
Does that mean you can't buy something from Pelican, decide you don't need it after all, and then sell it on the BBS?
DuckRyder
While we are at it, anyone else find jason borderline irritating? I mean you can't blame them for mentioning they sell stuf but is seems every reply has a link. 225.00 for an engine stand adapter? there has to be 500% profit in that!

I still like them ok they usually do fine, but then again I guess I don't know all the other beaches. Tweeks, AA, and Pelican are pretty much the players as I see it
seanery
Paragon, HPH, GPR...there are more
TimT
Dave.

So the "Brand new in box" t/o bearing I just sold to a 914 club member cant be sold on Pelican?

Oh yea I bought that t/o bearing about 3 years ago from Pelican, never used it... project took another turn

finger.gif

Im just glad I have my own sources for parts...

Smart Racing 911 Oil tank.... they want $800

I just had one made for $350 and it only requires knocking the a/c port out of the way (BFH) it fits with basically no mods... custom made for me $350

Being king of the hill, you have to watch where you step... you could fall.
steve@ottosvenice.com
I can supply your Porsche parts,at a lower price than Pelican, Tweeks, or whom ever just call or e-mail me with your needs. Steve
TimT
LOL...ok
seanery
Steve,

I sent you a pm yesterday and haven't heard back from you.
steve@ottosvenice.com
You need to e-mail or call, I missed your pm messages I dont have the PM popup message turned on. I can supply the wheels and get them to Al Reed for you. I will send you photos of the wheels so you can seee them. We had a power failure today in Venice and the Westside so I was not up to speed today. I have over 600 emails about the wheels at my 911@surf.co.nz addy I am trying to get thru them. For parts inquire send email to steve@ottosvenice.com . Steve

Note to self where glasses while typing, Typos are corrected.
campbellcj
I must say that, despite what I know some of you guys might "think" about Ottos, it is absolutely true in my experience that they can often get parts quicker and cheaper than the "well-known guys".

Also keep in mind when buying from Ottos and HPH and VERY FEW others that...they actually know how to install the parts, and know what fits what/where/how, and will be up front and tell you what's crap and what really works in the real world! That is a significant plus in my book. Performance, Tweeks etc will sell you anything in the effin' world with no hesitation, as long as your Visa card is good....to them you are just a customer number and shipping address in the computer.

[edit] Another big plus for me is TRACKSIDE SUPPORT. JW has bailed me out at least 3 times when old parts on my teener decided to give up the ghost at the track 100 miles from home. Again, he not only had the parts but could tell me instantly what was broken and how to fix it without really even looking at the car. Ever seen Pelican or Performance or many of the others at the track??? NOPE.

Just my $.02, and FWIW I have bought a shitload of stuff over the years from most of the known players in the VW/Porsche/Audi world...there are quite a few great players in the business, but the BS definitely runs thick out there so caveat emptor.
jonwatts
agree.gif fully

This goes towards supporting your local supplier, especially when they are experts like Otto's and HPH. I don't know if I'm getting old or if "customer service" has taken a huge dump over the past few years. How many times have you called up a company with a problem and known more about what they need to do to fix it than they do? Ever tried to get your cable or DSL serviced? ::shudder::

I'm probably just getting old, I sound old.
campbellcj
I am a big proponent of supporting small niche businesses; since I am one of them wink.gif

LOL...I just emailed my ISP last night asking why I can't reach amazon.com and a few other domains/servers from my home network.

I sent them traceroute output and a pretty detailed explanation of the issue.

They basically said they have no idea, it must be something f'ed up on my machine (NOT), and BTW don't reply to this email cuz nobody will read your message.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 20 2004, 05:37 PM)
So the "Brand new in box" t/o bearing I just sold to a 914 club member cant be sold on Pelican?

I'd say yes it could, personally. It's not quite brand-new, after all--it's now 3 years old, even if it is in "as-new condition".

I figure that, as long as someone is willing to be reasonable about things, they can sell what they like. But when a competing vendor, for instance, comes onto the board and starts advertising the same stuff that Pelican sells... That's definitely a no-no, of course. But the individual seller, who has old stuff they bought laying around? I don't see a problem.

But hey--what do I know? You've obviously already made up your mind about Pelican, and that's cool. One of the good things about having lots of vendors out there, it gives everyone a choice.

--DD
rhodyguy
nothing used to piss me off more than having an ad get bumped half way down the page five minutes after posting, or ads with no pricing and a generic "contact us/me for your needs".

kevin
Joe Bob
Nah...the worst is ads from dickheads like Lone Wolf, no city listed, 20 individual ads for 20 individuals pieces....then there were 20 resposnes like....I sent you a message...no replies....
morph
Rules sound fair to me, I wouldn't like it if my competition tried to advertise on my website. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.