Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finished the header for the ITB car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
bam914
I bought the collector from Cone Engineering. You weld it together. It was only $65.00 for all the parts. It turned out pretty good for my second header that I have ever built. The first was on a Honda. All tubes are within an inch in length. Yes I will have plenty of ground clearance since the car has to be 5" at the bottom of the rocker. I also plan a heat shield and coating on the header to help it from heating up the trans.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
race914
Nice work!

Did you use one of the header 'kits' with various mandrel bends, or did you make the bends?
bam914
I had a box of pre bent tubing.
J P Stein
Nice job.
I hope header wrap isn't illegal in ITB. biggrin.gif
bam914
I hate header wrap. It kills headers and soaks up oil and becomes a fire hazard. Not that my engine will leak oil. A heat shield will be enough.
J P Stein
Kills headers, eh? How many sets have you killed using the wrap...or am I hearing conventional wisdom?
I've had some on mine for about 10 years and they ain't daid yet, nor do they soak up oil if you treat them with 4-5 coats of good old stove paint. confused24.gif
Unfortunately my last rebuild leaked around the outside of the #8 bearing.....for 7 years. The latest one just weeps in a couple other spots....just enuff for dirt to stick. headbang.gif
bam914
If the header is made out of thick tubing it will last longer. This one is not. I just do not like it.
J P Stein
"I just do not like it" is a fair answer & good enuff fer me. I use that myself on occasion. biggrin.gif

My headers are cheep ass Bursch. I take then off often enough to check them out & recoat as required. If they fell apart tomorrow I'd have gotten my money's worth. They are wrapped only where close to oil lines & whatnot.

I assume you can't run a trans cooler. Some used space shuttle tiles might be a good investment. biggrin.gif
bam914
Here is a David Finch header on an FP 914. This is where I got my idea from. I just straighten it out.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Looks great Blake. Again a great modification you have done. beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
Blake is smart enough to know that I'd fire his ass if he used header wrap... I HATE that stuff, and its a fire hazard too.

Blake put lots of time into this header project and I think it will make killer power for the ITB engine.

We'll know soon enough, it'll get tested against everything known to man when he finishes the engine later this month.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 9 2009, 06:28 AM) *

Blake is smart enough to know that I'd fire his ass if he used header wrap... I HATE that stuff, and its a fire hazard too.

I could give a shit what *you* hate.
Under one of your oil pumpers a fire is likely.

Blake works for you? Poor fella, I'll be nicer to him in the future. biggrin.gif
Randal

Hey Blake - so is a 4 into 1 collector supposed to scavenge exhaust faster than say a 2 into 1?

Seems like it would there by creating more HP / Torque.

Jake Raby
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 9 2009, 08:15 AM) *

Hey Blake - so is a 4 into 1 collector supposed to scavenge exhaust faster than say a 2 into 1?

Seems like it would there by creating more HP / Torque.

A 4 into 1 set up generally makes a more peaky power plant with higher peak numbers, but less usable RPM range.

Blake's engine for ITB is odd, because the rules require it to be basically stock, so he was looking for more peak power and a little more radical RPM range. We have used a prototype 4-1 from Tangerine racing on the FP car with great results.

Brett W
Nice, header. Should have sprung for the Burns Merge collector. With all the time you put into it, you could have bought one for a little more than twice what you have in the material cost of that one. Plus it would be a much better collector.
bam914
I have a little more then 1 hour in the collector. My labor rate for myself is $0. I have bought a Burns before for my ITC CRX it was nearly $300.00 and made 1 HP more then a dump collector.
Brett W
If you look at it that way, you are correct. Kick ass in ITB. You will have a heck of a fight on your hands with the ITB VWs and Hondas. Are you going to do the school this year?
bam914
No I am not going to the school. I have instructed in the past but I am in a serious time crunch to get the car done. I will be putting the engine together this weekend so it can go on the dyno next week. The engine harness needs to go out west to get hooked in with the Dash 2.
Chris Pincetich
Sweet - I can't wait to see more. Seems like this 914 has taken about 2 years to get this far. This discussion will lead to a more frequent check and possible replacement on my header wrap. A local racer suggested I get a used heat shield from a 944 something or other to keep my cables off the header, one that could/should come cheap from the P-car dismantler...wish I could remember the exact part now.
Brett W
There is a race next weekend at RD atlanta. Is your road race license up to date?
bam914
I have a few friends that are going. My wife and kid will be out of town that weekend so I plan on getting a lot done on the car. Yes It is up to date. I have to have at least two races before the end of April to keep from having to get a wavier again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.