Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fog/running light switch...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
I was wondering if this could be done? is it even a good idea to have your fog / running lights on when you have the switch in the parking light mode? idea.gif

Any comments or feedback would be helpful as I wouldn't know how to even attempt this. confused24.gif

My 2.0 doesn't have a switch but it has the wiring. Is that right? I really don't want to add one if I don't have too.

Here is the situation;

1) I want the fogs on when the parking lights are on.
2) when the headlight are on, i still want the fogs on.

An afterthought;

3) when the headlights are off and the fogs are on, i want to flash the fogs.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Feb 9 2009, 02:58 PM) *

I was wondering if this could be done? is it even a good idea to have your fog / running lights on when you have the switch in the parking light mode? idea.gif

Any comments or feddback would be helpful as I wouldn't know how to even attempt this. confused24.gif

My 2.0 doesn't have a switch but it has the wiring. Is that right? I really don't want to add one if I don't have too.

right! Fun and easy to do have to make two wire changes (after installing the lights)_ Craig's at Camp 914 are the best buy. The procedure is in the tech tips 700 book, I actually cannot remember the exact two wires but I wrote the book so shame on me!!!!
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 9 2009, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Feb 9 2009, 02:58 PM) *

Any comments or feddback would be helpful as I wouldn't know how to even attempt this. confused24.gif

right! Fun and easy to do have to make two wire changes (after installing the lights)_ Craig's at Camp 914 are the best buy. The procedure is in the tech tips 700 book, I actually cannot remember the exact two wires but I wrote the book so shame on me!!!!

So with those two wire changes, will the fog lights stay on when I turn on the headlights and click on my high beams?

Eric_Shea
This is the coolie-o way...

http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/fog.htm
zonedoubt
agree.gif

Quick and easy.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 9 2009, 02:42 PM) *

That is cool but does it work if I have the fog lights connected to the headlight switch in the parking light position?
Eric_Shea
It says it does...
orange914
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Feb 9 2009, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 9 2009, 02:50 PM) *

That is cool but does it work if I have the fog lights connected to the headlight switch in the parking light position?

It says it does...

so... if you do both mod.'s you get the fogs on with low beams and the fog's will flash when you pull the swich for high beams (lights off)?
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 9 2009, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Feb 9 2009, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 9 2009, 02:50 PM) *

It says it does...

so... if you do both mod.'s you get the fogs on with low beams and the fog's will flash when you pull the swich for high beams (lights off)?

That's the million dollar question? I guess a call to Jwest is in order.
dflesburg
This works with no fog light switch?
Cap'n Krusty
By law, in CA, and likely many other states, you cannot have your fog lights illuminated when the high beams are on. I'm pretty sure Oregon is one of those "many other states". There's a reason for this: You're supposed to use your fog lights when there's fog (that may be why why they're called "fog lights"), and high beams are the WRONG thing to have on in the fog. You end up with monster glare off the water particles that make up the fog. Now, when there's NO FOG, you want to use your high beams when driving in dark places where there's no oncoming or preceding traffic to be dazzled by your high beams. In this case, you don't want your fog lights on because the illumination directly in front of your car actually "desensitizes" your eyes, and you see less well down the road where you would normally benefit from the use of your high beams. BTW, I'm NOT making this up. There are plenty of places where you can verify what I say. Just not in "tuner" magazines and websites. And don't ask those insensitive, inconsiderate, and ignorant a*sholes who drive around in their SUVs and BMWs with everything lit up to show how important they are. BTW, it's also illegal to drive with only your parking lights illuminated. Maybe that's why they call them "parking lights".

The Cap'n
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 9 2009, 05:42 PM) *

By law, in CA, and likely many other states, you cannot have your fog lights illuminated when the high beams are on. I'm pretty sure Oregon is one of those "many other states". There's a reason for this: You're supposed to use your fog lights when there's fog (that may be why why they're called "fog lights"), and high beams are the WRONG thing to have on in the fog. You end up with monster glare off the water particles that make up the fog. Now, when there's NO FOG, you want to use your high beams when driving in dark places where there's no oncoming or preceding traffic to be dazzled by your high beams. In this case, you don't want your fog lights on because the illumination directly in front of your car actually "desensitizes" your eyes, and you see less well down the road where you would normally benefit from the use of your high beams. BTW, I'm NOT making this up. There are plenty of places where you can verify what I say. Just not in "tuner" magazines and websites. And don't ask those insensitive, inconsiderate, and ignorant a*sholes who drive around in their SUVs and BMWs with everything lit up to show how important they are. BTW, it's also illegal to drive with only your parking lights illuminated. Maybe that's why they call them "parking lights".

The Cap'n

I know all about the 'law'. I have gotten 2 tickets for driving with auxilary / fog lights on when conditions didn't call for them to be on. One was when I still lived in San Jose and the other when I lived in Atascadero (down near you). I 'm going to use the fog lights as my day / running lights because the teener hardly ever is out after dark due to the deer that roam around up here. I'm sure Oregon has the same laws as Cali but I've always broken the rules as rules are made to be broken. It's a moving violation with a point or 2 on your record but oh well, I'll pay it in order to do what I want. It's really no different than people who raise there trucks 6 feet off the ground and not re-direct there headlights and I'm pretty sure it's against the law to go over the speed limit but it happens!
orange914

By law, in CA, and likely many other states, you cannot have your fog lights illuminated when the high beams are on.
The Cap'n

oh krusty one, beside the switch marked "fog" what would change the classification of "fog" lights to "driving" lights? clear/fluted lens and or height of bulbs??

mike
Demick
For the flash, get jwest's kit. Actually, I have one that I won at an auction that I never installed. Yours for $20 shipped if you want. PM me if you want it.

For the rewiring that you are interested in:

Fog Light rewiring instructions

Demick
edrotol
QUOTE(Demick @ Feb 9 2009, 09:54 PM) *

For the flash, get jwest's kit. Actually, I have one that I won at an auction that I never installed. Yours for $20 shipped if you want. PM me if you want it.

For the rewiring that you are interested in:

Fog Light rewiring instructions

Demick

i WILL TAKE IT IF HE DOES NOT WANT IT. tHANKS.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 9 2009, 07:59 PM) *

By law, in CA, and likely many other states, you cannot have your fog lights illuminated when the high beams are on.
The Cap'n

oh krusty one, beside the switch marked "fog" what would change the classification of "fog" lights to "driving" lights? clear/fluted lens and or height of bulbs??

mike

Besides lens design, mounting height is the primary factor. Fog lights are mounted low for minimum glare/reflectiveness, driving lights are mounted high for maximum distance effectiveness. Mounting driving lights in the stock fog light position is stupid and ineffective. As for the mindless rant of the original poster regarding "laws are made to be broken", it shows the selfishness and lack of concern for others so typical of our populace. Oh, and fog lights, driving lights, and other accessory/auxilliary lights often used in place of headlights, none are DOT certified ad headlights, and may not be used as such.

I know this topic is going to degenerate into intellectual mush, so I'm gone ...........

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.