Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLID Engine Lid with no grill...just all metal instead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
I have recently covered the bottom of the engine lid with DYNAMAT, including the underpart of the grill also. WOW the difference when i covered the grill part on SOUND!!! It is so quiet now.

I was wondering if anyone ever replaced all the grill part of the engine lid and the two grill parts on the body with SOLID metal and welded it in as a solid piece with no grill anymore.

How does this look?? i bet if you did this you could weld up nice channels so no water would ever make its way into the engine compartment again.

Just curious if anyone has done this cosmetic mod???
So.Cal.914
Is your car a water sucker?
PRS914-6
Your engine gets its cooling air through the grill. I suspect your engine will have a meltdown soon.....I would suggest you leave the grill alone unless it's water cooled
budman5201
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Feb 9 2009, 11:10 PM) *

Your engine gets its cooling air through the grill. I suspect your engine will have a meltdown soon.....I would suggest you leave the grill alone unless it's water cooled

Yep Subaru Conversion, so no need for venting (air filter runs directly through outside passenger fenderwell)

Just wondering how it would look

slow914
I think it would look good, props go to the original flag.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Feb 9 2009, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Feb 9 2009, 11:10 PM) *

Yep Subaru Conversion, so no need for venting (air filter runs directly through outside passenger fenderwell)

Just wondering how it would look

In that case I look forward to seeing it when your done. smile.gif
Bruce Hinds
I have a water sucker too. I'd suggest before you go through the effort, do one more check. I'd been driving dirt roads after my v8 conversion and there is a back draft that comes forward on the rear deck to the engine bay. I thought by closing off the grill I could cut down on the dirt.

What I found was LOTS of dirt way up on the aircleaner and manifold. It swirls up from the bottom, having the grill breaks that pressure. I don't have any engine "tin" like the aircooled engines and I do have an airdam up front that may stir stuff up. Just thought it would be a good check for you to try.
PanelBilly
You count make it solid and then paint a grill pattern on the rear side??
charliew
Check out driveability's rear opening trunk. I want to maybe cut the targa bar off and extend the trunk to cover the vented area with maybe some humps similiar to anklebiters but have it all in one piece. It will probably need to be fg though to keep it light.

I'm not sure about the intercooler though, maybe intakes in front of the fender flares with just a small vent between the humps to let some of the turbo heat out.

Beachboys has some stuff.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 9 2009, 11:11 PM) *

In that case I look forward to seeing it when your done. smile.gif

I couldn't wait. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
budman5201
wow that looks like a ONE piece rear engine lid. Did he make it one to eliminate the side grills,etc? whos is that i would love to see more pics of it....
Chris
So.Cal.914
Tell me I'am not beaming with pride...Sorry Chris, I drew that for you so you and anyone interested could see what it would look like. smile.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 10 2009, 06:12 PM) *

Tell me I'am not beaming with pride...Sorry Chris, I drew that for you so you and anyone interested could see what it would look like. smile.gif

Now make it a ragtop hide.gif
So.Cal.914
biggrin.gif
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 10 2009, 02:42 AM) *

I have a water sucker too. I'd suggest before you go through the effort, do one more check. I'd been driving dirt roads after my v8 conversion and there is a back draft that comes forward on the rear deck to the engine bay. I thought by closing off the grill I could cut down on the dirt.

What I found was LOTS of dirt way up on the aircleaner and manifold. It swirls up from the bottom, having the grill breaks that pressure. I don't have any engine "tin" like the aircooled engines and I do have an airdam up front that may stir stuff up. Just thought it would be a good check for you to try.

I get a lot of dust on the engine cover and deck lid on my v8 even in just a few blocks. Been thinking of building some type belly pan or some other way to get the air out the back of the car rather than up through the engine compartment. I have tried it with and with out the rubber air deflectors and did not see any difference.

Jerry
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Feb 10 2009, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 10 2009, 02:42 AM) *

I get a lot of dust on the engine cover and deck lid on my v8 even in just a few blocks. Been thinking of building some type belly pan or some other way to get the air out the back of the car rather than up through the engine compartment. I have tried it with and with out the rubber air deflectors and did not see any difference.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
When I first did this so many years ago, I'd gone through the effort to make my own engine "tin" for the V8 so it would wrap fairly tight around all the header tubes and fit right into the channel around the engine bay. It didn't seem to make much difference, rather than staying nice shiny aluminum it just got dirty and trapped in a lot of heat from the headers.
I had thought if I were to try the engine tin again, I'd consider doing it above the exhaust. But I'm thinking next time I have the engine out, which may be soon, is to go around the engine bay with a nibbler and take out flange that the tin mated up to allowing greater flow through there.

B
thesey914
Conversely, I've done a GT lid for my six and wondered why the car sounded so mean -then I realised it is the removal of the extra metal. Just shows how much difference a barrier can make to sound travel
budman5201
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Feb 11 2009, 04:07 PM) *

Conversely, I've done a GT lid for my six and wondered why the car sounded so mean -then I realised it is the removal of the extra metal. Just shows how much difference a barrier can make to sound travel

yeah i think i plan on making a shelf also just like stock, so it fits into the original rubber in the engine bay. (mine is still all new and there intact). My headers are below the block so no heat from those in the engine bay.

But come to think of it, my toyota tacoma 2005 gets a ton of dust in its engine bay, so whats the big deal?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.