Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POR and UV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BGman
POR warns that their product is not UV resistant and will discolor in the sun. Discolor? Is that all, or does it break down? I am considering finishing my engine bay right now with it. Is this area protected enough...or is it going to need to be topcoated. Car is garaged when not in use, and I don't use a raintray (which I suppose would help in this case). Thanks.
-g
Evill Ed
Yes, with the POR, it is mostly an asthetic issue. The resin appears to be safe, just the pigment fades.

The engine bay should have plentyl of protection from the direct sun and UV rays.

Ed
I used por 15 three years ago to re-paint my oil filler pipe on the back of my house.

-I'ts survived 2 summers out here without any noticable change
aufaber
If you use black.. nothing realy. if you use silver it turns kinda greenish yellow.
BGman
Thanks guys- just what I wanted to know. If you have used it outside and have seen little/any change then I am comfortable with it.

I really like the stuff, but boy do they have quite a system-

1. degreaser
2. metal prep
3. por
4. cover paint, or
5. "tie-coat" primer for aftermarket paint and then the aftermarket paint itself !!!

ingenious.
dmenche914
Used POR silver paint to touch up my silver car exterior, in a few months it turned greenish silver, YUK. also used in engine bay, out of the sun, and no real change noticed after about a year.

good stuff, but top coat it if exposed to sun.

dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.