Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying 1st 914 ,, , again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sam quartermain
've looked into several cars , and taken what the owners tell me w/ a grain of salt.

This one is for sale on 914 club, can anyone who know's what they are talking about , give me some advice on this particular car.

Seller says that car really only needs a few minor , cosmetic touch's and a new set of tire's . He also say's that there is a bondo spot and a dent that are very minor.

The price is lower than most . so that's a plus

I want the car for a driver. I will be keeping it in the garage .

I've heard that the less you spend in the start will mean you end up spending more in the end .

I'm looking to spend as little as possible for a nice driveable , safe car . not a show car or high performance racer .

WHAT DO YOU THINK < please don't be vague and ELABORATE

Thanks so much . here is the link and I'd like to drive it home some 300 miles , would you recommend that or is that a Big Risk ?

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=132755

ericread
I just posted over there requesting some pics of the hell hole/engine areas as well as a pic or two under the car. The price looks right, but he's brand new to the board, so I don't know much about him.

It sure looks pretty!!!

Slick914
The car will be worth it if it doesn't have any rust issues. If you're not familiar where or how to look for rust on 914's, you really need someone else to look at it for you. You might have already heard this, but rust has a tendency to hide on these cars.

See if the seller will be willing to remove the rocker covers for you to inspect for rust.

Where exactly is this "bondo spot"? Is it covering a rust hole,dent, or what?

If the minor dent doesn't have any creases or paint damage, it can be fixed by one of those paintless dent removal guys for cheap.

Has the engine ever been rebuilt? If so that's a plus because that's quite a bit of miles.

Another thing to look at or consider is the condition of the seals and weather stripping. If they are bad a complete set will run more than $800.

At the very least, you need to make the drive and look it over real good in person. I would rather waste a day of driving and a couple tanks of gas than get stuck with a bad car.

Good luck man!
J P Stein
Do 1975s have to pass CA smog? If so....to be blunt, No.
ericread
The 1975 is Smog testing exempt in California.

So what is this that is circled? Are those the relays or spme kind of support for the battery tray?

Click to view attachment
sam quartermain
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 10 2009, 05:53 PM) *

The 1975 is Smog testing exempt in California.

So what is this that is circled? Are those the relays or spme kind of support for the battery tray?

Click to view attachment

I have no idea what the stuff circled is . IS it bad

Am i missing something. are you saying that since car is smog exempt that this should look different or that it's modified or all original ???

can you clarify ???
ericread
It's a god thing the car is smog exempt. That allows you to run without worrying about meeting the 1975 SMOG rules. I was just answering the previous question.

As for the picture, there are some people on this board that are much more current with the 1.8 engines. I thought there were some combo relays under the battery tray. If so, those could be them. But if what we are seeing is a battery tray support, then that indicates potential hell hole problems.

scotty b
thos are parts for the 1.8 injection. I don't know that system well enough to tell you exactly what they do but I know of several members here that can tell you. Just wait for them to respond. smile.gif
jd74914
The left one is ballast for the injectors, and the right is the master relay that runs the pump and some other stuff. The are both quite important. laugh.gif
sam quartermain
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 10 2009, 06:18 PM) *

The left one is ballast for the injectors, and the right is the master relay that runs the pump and some other stuff. The are both quite important. laugh.gif

so would you say that the ballast and master relay are in reasonably good condition if the car still runs and drive's or can you tell from the picture ???

and is this the stock location for these , does the hell hole look problematic ???
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 10 2009, 06:21 PM) *

so would you say that the ballast and master relay are in reasonably good condition if the car still runs and drive's or can you tell from the picture ???

and is this the stock location for these , does the hell hole look problematic ???

The answer is unclear.

Click to view attachment
Slick914
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 10 2009, 09:21 PM) *

If the car runs they are good.

Can't tell much about the hellhole from the picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.