Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 sighting in Sydney!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick_Eberle
This is kind of a rare thing in my part of the world, so I thought I'd post it.

On Thursday morning I spotted a beautiful silver 914 with flares flash past on William St. heading for the city.
This is the fourth 914 I've ever seen in Australia. The first was an early white one a dealer in Geelong in the mid eighties.
The second was at a Porsche Cup race at the first Melbourne F1 GP,
The third was just a couple of years ago on Victoria St, Kings Cross - metallic Green with flares and a tan interior. Nice RHD conversion, too. I flagged this guy down and chatted for a minute while traffic built up behind him.

I just imported mine (1970 1.7 - White) before Christmas, and it's now sitting in my Mum's garage in Geelong, while I recover from the trauma of importing a car. (It was towed from Oakland to Long Beach, shipped half way around the world with no dramas, and then the SOMEHOW the windscreen came off between Melbourne and Geelong, a 45 minute ride on a flatbed! (Thanks, Geelong Towing java script:emoticon(':finger:')
java script:emoticon(':finger:')). (A$550 for a replacement from Porsche java script:emoticon(':blink:')
java script:emoticon(':blink:')).

I owned this car in L.A. since '95, and it was stored at a friend's place in Martinez CA for a few years. You want to know who your friends are? Ask 'em to look after a car and help you ship it overseas! (A big thanks to Mike!)

Cheers,

Rick
red914
amazing story; if it were me, the ship carrying her would have gone down.

i just got to see the rugby world cup final on tape. i know, i know, it is pathetic that we have difficulty in this country trying to watch the game played in heaven. anyway, even though australia came in at number 2, it was a well played, and hard played game. american sports don't often get finishes like that match! i expect the wallabies will be strong again in 2007.
GWN7
I looked into shipping mokes from there. That's how I got into 914's smile.gif
scotty
A;right! Another teener "down there!"
Bleyseng
Post some pics!
Geoff thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Rick_Eberle
Yeah, the rugby was something else, though I'm a little concerned that I''m still seeing a lot of Scots wearing kilts in the pubs on the weekends! I worked as part of the crew on the opening and closing ceremonies, wich was kind of wild!

Hey, weren't mokes imported to the USA? What about minis? I saw a handfull of minis when I lived in L.A. but they were definately rare.

As for pics, I'll wait til my baby looks a little more presentable. Hopefully I'll be down in Geelong in a couple of months to start getting her ready for life among the RHD.

Rick
GWN7
Mokes were imported to the USA, but because there isn't that many, they command $$. I looked at buy & sell type papers from over there and could buy 3 or 4 for what one would cost me here. $1,500 to $2,000 AU . $8,000 to $10,000 US Put 4 in a container and make some $$
Rick_Eberle
Hey, I forgot to mention, after two years and eleven months in storage, (after an oil change and some slow hand cranking) it took a fresh battery and about 10 seconds of cranking to start. And she loves the 98 octane lead relacement petrol we have here!

Rick
FlatSix
Who mentioned the rugby world cup final?

i just got to see the rugby world cup final on tape.

smilie_pokal.gif

Andy
JeffBowlsby
Rick there was another thread about Aussie 914s. Here is the link...it includes contact info for another 914 owner in Victoria...hey you could have a 914 meet down under! cool.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=265&hl=rhd+914

Jeff
red914
nice shot of the england coach holding "bill!" smilie_pokal.gif
i tell you, watching that match was as exciting as being a spectator can be: 80 minutes of outrageously intensive play, followed by another 20 minutes where the intensity did not let up one iota. i can't help but compare it to football here in the u.s, which i tried to watch this winter. snore! the cameras have to pan the sidelines, the bleachers, and heaven knows where else just to catch some action. compare that to the rugby world cup final, where the guy who kicked the winning goal, on the run and under pressure during play by the way, also plays the whole match, runs the ball (quite hard and does it well) and made some smashing tackles during the match! it is, indeed, the sport they play in heaven. congratulations to england for bringing "bill" home after a long time away. beerchug.gif there will be many teams trying to take it away in 4 years. watch argentina, by the way. last summer they punished south africa.
scotty
Go Eagles! Now that we've knocked off Japan, it's just a matter of time -- especially now that we're getting the youngsters started (U19/high school).
Mueller
Howard R. is in the New South Wales(??) area of Aust., not too sure how far from Sydney he is....nice guy, you should meet up with him....
red914
go eagles! agree.gif is right; in a couple years we may be a force. for now, it is great that the younger kids are starting to play. this spring the churchill cup will be in vancouver, b.c. again (for three years?). a good chance for our lads to learn a few things from england, eh? beer3.gif

this is way off topic, isn't it? i hope i didn't break any rules by bringing this up.. unsure.gif
fiid
QUOTE(FlatSix @ Feb 23 2004, 04:23 AM)
Who mentioned the rugby world cup final?

i just got to see the rugby world cup final on tape.

smilie_pokal.gif

Andy

sc-ore.

Put that in your superbowl and smoke it. I still reckon any half decent rugby team could teach an NFL team a thing or two.
red914
...and imagine if the nfl team had to play one side for both offense and defense, including kickers! fitness wise, 80 minutes might be too long for some of those linemen, although if they were to run the ball, a 300 lb. tackle would be tough to bring down. the flow of the game would drive an nfl coach insane, i figure! lol2.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.