Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenny9one4
My first Porsche and my first post. It's only been a few days since I bought it. Let the fun begin! biggrin.gif

The transmission won't shift into first at all, shifts fine into second, third's a bit tricky, into fourth good, and into fifth - but doesn't feel like it's all the way into gear, but it doesn't pop out. The previous owner replaced the existing gear box because first was non-operational with a unit known to be good. The problem is still there. I believe the transmission was in a higher power 6, so maybe first was locked out? - don't know.

I got the car on jackstands tonight and checked the linkage, other than the usual worn busings (not terrible just a bit worn), I see that the main linkage going from the fire wall to the transmission has been repaired at the transmission end and seems to be bent more than the book shows, but not having seen the linkage before I really don't know. Anyone have suggestions as to what might be causing the problem?

I'm looking forward to really making this car sing and meeting some of my fellow 914 fanatics!

Thanks in advance Ya'll!

sww914
Replace the worn bushings first, they're pretty cheap. GPR has a good bronze bushing for the rear of a sideshifter. You didn't mention the year of your car or whether it's a tailshifter or a sideshifter.
kenny9one4
Oh yeah, sorry, it's a 73' with a side shifter.
SGB
Nice avatar.... beerchug.gif

These cars are known to be crappy shifters. That said, it really is just that there is not a lot of tolerance for wear and misalignment. You will almost certainly need new bearings, and you might need to get a replacement shift rod if that one is gafunken. It sounds like that would be the best first step. I think you should be able to get a beat one from somewhere, and it might make more sense rebuild one that isn't bent.

Welcome to the house o' pain- er- fun.
Millerwelds
Go ahead and replace all the bushings as it can be done fairly cheap. Then make sure it is aligned at the gear shift lever itself. You can rotate the splined end of the shift rod left or right as well as foreward and back. Often when getting 2 and 4 and not 1 and 3 (and 5 feeling not locked in) the rod needs to be brought towards the rear of the car. Minute adjustments go a long way.
Slider
Might be a stupid question does it shift into Reverse? maybe there is a shifter alignment issue?
kenny9one4
Got under it today and removed the shift rod. I certainly don't like the fact it has been repaired, who knows how far off from original it is. I called a local yard that has one. I'll pick it up tomorrow (if it looks ok) and put back in the car as soon as I can find the bushings. I went to GPR's website and wouldn't you know it, it's down for maint.

I did try shifting the transmission with the rod disco'd and I believe it shifted into 1st.... Whoo Hoo!

Once the busings have been replaced along with a new (used) rod, I'll take a look at the shifter alignment.

Oh, it did shift into reverse.

Anybody make an upgrade to the stock linkage in case I can't find a sutible replacement?
zig-n-zag
JWest sells a linkage kit....as an option. His shifters are real nice too.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 10 2009, 08:24 PM) *

Nice avatar.... beerchug.gif

These cars are known to be crappy shifters. That said, it really is just that there is not a lot of tolerance for wear and misalignment. You will almost certainly need new bearings, and you might need to get a replacement shift rod if that one is gafunken. It sounds like that would be the best first step. I think you should be able to get a beat one from somewhere, and it might make more sense rebuild one that isn't bent.

Welcome to the house o' pain- er- fun.

"Known to be crappy shifters"? Not the ones MY customers drive ............

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.