Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srthompson01
After hearing that the earlier bumpers are really preferred to the heavy 5mph bumpers that came with my 75 914, I bought some expensive chrome early bumper.

I forgot to ask........will they fit?

What hardware will I need?

should I leave the old ones on and resell the chromies?

any input is appreciated
So.Cal.914
There are quite a few people here that have done it. There is a nice write up on it here. Not that big a deal, put um on ya know ya wanna.
messix
they can only be installed at the west coast classic, in the parking lot of the hotel. happy11.gif
PeeGreen 914
There are some threads on here as to how to do it. You will like the result wink.gif
messix
there's gonna be some cutting and trimming and drilling, not to hard to do. craig at camp 914 did a good write up, it may be in the classics .
ConeDodger
QUOTE(srthompson01 @ Feb 10 2009, 08:53 PM) *

After hearing that the earlier bumpers are really preferred to the heavy 5mph bumpers that came with my 75 914, I bought some expensive chrome early bumper.

any input is appreciated

They will fit like a glove and you will wonder how you ever loved the car before seeing the result...
You will need:

Bumpers (got that)
Bumper tops (rubber that bolts to the top of the bumpers)
Dog bones (rubber mounting devices that go behind the bumpers)
8 nuts bolts and washers (you probably can figure this out)
2 license plate lights (see AA or the Pelican or GPR)

A spot weld bit for your drill is nice but not totally needed.
It really - really helps to have another early bumper car to measure hole location off of but someone here can do that for you...

There are threads on how to... Find them.
rjames
Here ya go. I have the link bookmarked, because it's on my short list of projects to do once I acquire a decent rear bumper top.

BumperBackdateInfo
Cevan
The PO did mine so I can't give you any techincal info but here is a before and after:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cevan
The back:

Click to view attachment
Gint
QUOTE(srthompson01 @ Feb 10 2009, 09:53 PM) *

any input is appreciated

Loads of threads with info.

Link to a 914world search for "+bumper +backdate"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.