Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 vacuum hose colors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
michaelmoo
I'm trying to find the original color hose for my engine. I know the AA kit is all black and charcoal. But if I were to go out and find my own in the correct colors, does anyone know which colors the hoses are on a stock 1.8? I know that charcoal, red, green and black were used, but not sure which color goes where.

Thanks, Mike
zonedoubt
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Feb 11 2009, 07:42 AM) *

I'm trying to find the original color hose for my engine. I know the AA kit is all black and charcoal. But if I were to go out and find my own in the correct colors, does anyone know which colors the hoses are on a stock 1.8? I know that charcoal, red, green and black were used, but not sure which color goes where.

Thanks, Mike

I'm pretty sure that original hoses weren't colored. There is a diagram with sizes here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_18FI_diag.htm

Color-coding is for reference only.
michaelmoo
The original hoses were colored. There was a red, green, black, and charcoal colors that were used. But they "dont" make the hoses in the correct colors anymore. Below is a photo of a 2.0 with the colored hoses. I'm looking for the 1.8.

You are right abouth the Pelican diagram being for reference. They aren't the correct original colors.

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Feb 11 2009, 11:52 AM) *

QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Feb 11 2009, 07:42 AM) *

Thanks, Mike

I'm pretty sure that original hoses weren't colored. There is a diagram with sizes here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_18FI_diag.htm

Color-coding is for reference only.

zonedoubt
That's not a 1.8L engine.

This is worth a read: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=1284&hl=

I'm still not convinced they are to be colored hoses on 1.8L. In any case, I haven't come across colored vacuum hoses in any of the VW or Porsche parts catalogs I've looked at.
914runnow
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Feb 11 2009, 08:42 AM) *

Thanks, Mike

I have a 1.8 75 that was an engine fire..Soooo cannot tell you colors..
OH yes I can..Burned up Charred Coal color...
But from my ordering with Porsche....NOTHING came in colors aside from
Black and charcoal hoses sold by the meter..And XPEN SIVE!!!!!
40% of the hoses are NLA thru them..
The 'S' hose is wayyyyy gone....The green to vac advance was black....
from Porsche.....the Red was in black also...the Really large hose is NLA....
But you can get it in Rubber at a FLAPS near you....
George's kit might have it in there..Ask him..
Here's the deal......
You can get George's kit which will be german..and do a grand job....
OR get frustrated such as I, and spend hours getting NLA back from Porsche...
and getting a piece here and there....And the $$$$$ !!! >>>COST FACTOR....
Plus a judge will not ding you on your vac lines....UNLESS they all say USA on them...and are smooth rubber...even then that would be a National Parade event....
The last place I found colors for my 73 2.0 was 'Doc n Cy's'.....9 or so years
ago.....I loved those guys...
You might take pcs down to your V'Dub Dealer..see if they have some...
But if like mine here..TYPE four??? av-943.gif
michaelmoo
George said that they were colored when they left the factory. They, as in they who make the hose, doesnt make the colored hoses anymore. All the new kits (from AA) or NLA from Porsche were black or charcoal. I just wanted to know what the original colors were and where they went. I've already got the AA kit ready to be install.

Oh for the record I did say that the picture is a 2.0 and not a 1.8.
zonedoubt
Based on diameter and length you should be able to use the PP diagram to figure out where they go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.