Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dry sump or Simi-dri sump Cooling FOR A 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sam quartermain

Is it possible to use a Dry sump setup for a

914-4

I'd like to try it cause I think it would make the car a lot more reliable. Is over heating in issue with 914's in so cal . ???

How hard would it be and where would i even start ?

GeorgeRud
One of the VW type 4 suppliers did make a dual stage oil pump for the 914 motor, whick allows it to be dry sumped. I don't remember the manufacturer right now, but it has been done.

If you're running hot, perhaps an external auxiliary oil cooler would do more good than going through all the trouble and expense of converting to a dry sump system.
Gint
Anything is possible. But how is converting a 914 type IV to dry sump going to make it a "lot more reliable"?
McMark
The issue will be the depth of the oil pump vs. the impeller housing. Not much room there.

Searching for "+dry +sump +pump" here got me this thread where we talk about it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 11 2009, 04:00 PM) *

But how is converting... to dry sump going to make it a "lot more reliable"?

agree.gif

If in good working order, the T4 does not need any modifications to run smooth and cool. Even in "SlowCal" ...

If your engine is running hot, you've got other problems!
shades.gif Andy
Dominic
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 11 2009, 11:33 AM) *

Is it possible to use a Dry sump setup for a

914-4

I'd like to try it cause I think it would make the car a lot more reliable. Is over heating in issue with 914's in so cal . ???

How hard would it be and where would i even start ?

On the overheating issue, One place to start before you go external for oil cooling is the cooling fan shroud...make sure you dont have the lower opening of the shroud blocked off. I learned the hard way when I had those capped off since I was not using any heat off the exchangers. According to Jake you should leave those open and allow that air to escape from the bottom. Also, ensure you have your cooling flaps installed/working properly and that the air going to the stock oil cooler is not being blocked by leaves or debris.
dlestep
...if you are worried, run an additional external cooler using the oil filter boss...
dry sumping will only free up a few horses at the upper rpms, which 99.99 percent of the time you won't be driving there...besides the two stage pump, even without the crank fan would be in interference with the front engine mount. You would be required to modify that just to install the pump and lines. I think that there was a discussion on that on Jake's site.
LarryR
The only reason I can think to dry sump a TIV is if you plan on doing serious racing and pulling mega g's in the corners...

The short answer is yes. My friends lola runs a TIV and it is dry sump so it is possible... I posted a similar question once and Jake said he has a solution.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.