Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I remove rocker panels_ Identifying Rust , in rear suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sam quartermain
Looking for a 914 is a very risky business .

I'm wanting to learn how to remove rocker panels off potential cars I may be buying.

how do I identify badly rusted , longs or any other part on the car especially the Suspensions. how do i tell if they are all rusted to their core ???

Help me out , I don't want to get taken when I buy
PanelBilly
Small screwdriver works. Poke and if it thin enough for you to make a hole, its bad
sam quartermain
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 11 2009, 11:12 AM) *

Small screwdriver works. Poke and if it thin enough for you to make a hole, its bad

ok so if i can poke right thru the metal underneath the rocker panels than it's bad.

And The rocker panels are just attached with screws, thats it . because the seller is not wanting to remove them to take pict's
johnnie5
The rockers are originally rivited on from the factory (on the top, screwed in on the bottom). If they have never been removed before, the rivits would need to be drilled out for removal. Probably why the seller is not keen on the idea. It sounds to me like the seller is either not extremely motivated to sell or maybe hiding something.
rjames
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 11 2009, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 11 2009, 11:12 AM) *

ok so if i can poke right thru the metal underneath the rocker panels than it's bad.

And The rocker panels are just attached with screws, thats it . because the seller is not wanting to remove them to take pict's

The rocker panels cover the longs completely on the sides and 1/2way along the bottom. You really won't be able to inspect the longs without the rocker panels off. Getting them off isn't always easy, especially if there's any rust. A lot of us have had to drill out the screws to get the panels off, myself included- even though mine weren't that bad. That being said, I'll never buy a 914 again without first inspecting that area.

Regarding the suspension, look at the bottom of the passenger's side suspension ear closely for cracks and rust. Do a search for ' +suspension +ear ' and you'll probably find some good photos.

The best plan though would be to see if you can find an experienced local 914 owner to go with you to check the car out.

Good luck! smile.gif
So.Cal.914
From the factory it's screws and rivits. It is hard to see the worst area with the rockers on. This may just be me but if I was selling I would remove them with the understanding that the buyer would be responsable for putting them back on.

This might give you an idea where one weak (rusty) point is:

Click to view attachment
Cevan
You could just remove the 3 screws and 2 bolts that hold the bottom of the rocker on and pull it away from the longitudinal. That should allow you to see behind there to some degree.
dkjens
Sam,

Where in Monrovia are you and where is the car you are looking at? I'm in Pasadena and could offer my limited assistance. I'm going to Railroad Ave./Mytle for steel tubing and plate and to Buena Vista for O2 and Acetylene this Friday afternoon. I may do a quick run down to San Diego Saturday AM, but I should be free the rest of the long weekend. You can reach me at 818.298.9049.

Jens
PanelBilly
TAKE HIM UP ON THE OFFER!

This is the way to evaluate a car. Have someone who knows what to look for take a look.

This may cost you a beer or two, but it is an excellent investment
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 11 2009, 01:07 PM) *

TAKE HIM UP ON THE OFFER!

This is the way to evaluate a car. Have someone who knows what to look for take a look.

This may cost you a beer or two, but it is an excellent investment

agree.gif
dkjens
I think that with some "Liquid Wrench", a couple pair of Knipex plyers, locking plyers, a long skinny flat screw driver, mirror and flashlight, it should be possible to get a really good idea of the state of the steel without upsetting the seller to much he he.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.