Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 Distributer sealing ring?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RustyWa
I just pulled my distributer out and I'm not sure if I have a sealing ring installed. I was expecting to have like an o-ring at the top of the distributer shaft to keep the crud out.

There is a black band about half-way down the shaft...is this the sealing ring? It doesn't seem to be very soft and pliable.
Mark Henry
Yep that's it!

Sounds like it's real old, should be soft. The old beetle ones are the same part. Replace it.
RustyWa
Got the new one in. Man it was very tight! The old one was pretty much non-existent. I would line the distributer shaft up with the hole and it would pretty much fall to the bottom.

Thanks.

Found a VW only shop near my work today while I was looking for the seal. Oval's Motorsports in Federal Way.
anthony
I had a new o-ring and couldn't get my distributor installed with it. My old was o-ring was more of a flat band. Was that because it was so worn?
RustyWa
My old one was totally flat. Felt more like plastic. The new one took a lot of greasing up with motor oil and pushing/twisting to get it to POP into the bore.
Bleyseng
They should have a flat side to them, they are not a typical O-ring. When new they still are alittle tough to get to slide down in the bore.

Geoff cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.