Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need tranny rebuild help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
good morning all..
Can someone with ring and pinion or tranny experience answer a question for me?
I'm trying to do a quick/easy rebuild. Victim tranny reputably has a whinning bearing noise... suspect that its the intermediate plate bearing....

what would happen if I took a full gear stack (including intermediate plate) out of a known good box and put into this case?

how good/bad is this going to be? I'm concerned that the R/P depth will no longer be correctly adjusted?

Please Help...
brant
meursault
what would happen if I took a full gear stack (including intermediate plate) out of a known good box and put into this case?

how good/bad is this going to be? I'm concerned that the R/P depth will no longer be correctly adjusted?

More than that, the ring and pinion needs to be a matched set. If I understand you correctly, you want to swap out that entire assembled gear cluster, and mixing up the ring and pinion set is simply a bad idea. What's wrong with just running this known good box?

By the way, any time you change the pinion shaft bearing, you need to reset the depth.
TimT
914's dont make enough power for this to really worry ou....... the song can be annoying though
Red-Beard
I can't answer your question on the other board, but I can here!

So the answer is:

4th-5th shift rod, ball, spring with stick inside, ball, 2nd-3rd shiftrod, metal pill, 1st-rev shiftrod, ball, spring, 14mm cover.
brant
james,

your a life saver.... I got it right, but I feel much better with your post and knowing that I got it right...

merusault,

2 things... a) the known good box was a tail shifter, not a ss.

cool.gif when you mention resetting the R/P everytime the bearing is changed... which of the two pinion shaft bearings are you referring too..... It makes since for the end bearing but what about the intermediate bearing?

well... anyways thanks to all who helped out. I finished and decided to convert my tail box to a side shifter by changing the shift rods and tail cover..

now I've got an engine question.. but I'll start a new thread
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.