Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PNW guys, what's going on?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
It is looking like my wife, 2 boys, and I will be vacationing to Kennewick, WA June 6th for a cousin's HS graduation.

We want to hit the coast, check out the large collection of salt water that some people call the ocean, and maybe find out what sort of suggestions others have for sights to take in.

What is there to do for family fun in the PNW?

the boys are 4 and 2
PeeGreen 914
So are you planning on driving around the state or staying close to Kennewick?

Kennewick is about 5 hours from Seattle. There is an autocross in Bremerton on the 13th. There may be one is Pacwood that weekend. Pacwood is somewhat close to Kennewick. The coast is fun. Ocean Shores is a nice little place.
PanelBilly
You need to allow a day to see Mt Rainier. By June the snow should be gone, sometimes not, but the roads will be fine. The kids might not remember to views of the mountain, but you and your wife won't forget them. Your best route would be to travel thru Yakima to Hwy 12 and then northwest onto Route 410. You go from the desert into the mountains. When you get into the park, you head southwest around the mountain to the Paradise park. They have a lodge there and I'd say to make reservations and spend the night there. The lodge was just restored. The place is different at dusk after all the day visiters leave. Its the place to chill out and find some peace. From there you can head out west and aim for the coast or Seattle.

If you can take the time, this is the place to go. I've had many visitors to Seattle, and while they enjoy the trip down town, Mt Rainier is what they talk about after they've gone home.
Todd Enlund
Kennewick is probably as close to Portland as it is to Seattle. The Rose Festival is going on that weekend and into the following.

http://www.rosefestival.org/events/

Rose Cup races 12-14 June at PIR. I'm wonder why PCA would schedule an autocross in Bremerton the same weekend as the Porsche Cup at the Rose Festival confused24.gif

If you want to go to an Ocean beach, head for Astoria. Then go to Fort Stevens and see the Peter Iredale:

Click to view attachment

Lots to see in Seattle, and lots of water, but no ocean. Depending on how much time you have, you might do a triangle.
rhodyguy
the pacific is VERY cold up here. i wouldn't drive to western wa for day trip to open sores(ocean shores) the wind pretty much blows the sand full time. it will get old in a hurry. kennewick is a pretty long haul from anywhere other than pasco. you may have temps in the 100*s.

k
RJMII

We'd like to hit the coast. Sunny hasn't ever seen the ocean, or a running 914... LOL okay, so she saw a running 914 once... and she's reading over my shoulder and has seen the ocean more times than she's seen the running 914. who has a running teener?

Mt Raineer is sounding nice, too. =o) time to look for a link to the lodge...

BBQ at ***'s house might be fun, also. after a drive-by to see the ocean, and avoid the cold water?
Shade Tree
Kennewick is very close to the Columbia River Gorge....really close. There are some nice scenic drives there. The gorge is beautiful. You'll want to see something other than the high desert after being in Kennewick for a couple days. Ohh, bring your kites. This one is supposed to hook on to my chest...I prefer hooking it to the samurai...yes it pulls the samurai.

IPB Image
aircooledtechguy
I FULLY agree with PanelBilly; you gotta check out My Rainier's Paradice lodge and the park. It's breathtakingly beautiful. Also Shade Tree's suggestion of driving down the Columbia Gorge. Drive it on the Oregon side and take the old scenic hwy sections.
BKLA
Definitely see the Columbia gorge; Maryhill museum. Mt. St. Helens and Cannon Beach oregon

All along a nice scenic drive down the gorge from Kennewick...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JRust
If you make it down my way. I will be happy to BBQ & put you up for a night or 2. I have a room with your name on it huh.gif The full size Futon is even pretty comfortable sad.gif I think? My kids are a little older with my girls being 13 & my son 10. Great for babysitting & love little kids biggrin.gif . We could take drive up to Alsea Falls if you make it. Absolutely killer twisties with banked roads even. It is a beautiful drive too driving.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 12 2009, 05:31 PM) *

If you make it down my way. I will be happy to BBQ & put you up for a night or 2. I have a room with your name on it huh.gif The full size Futon is even pretty comfortable sad.gif I think? My kids are a little older with my girls being 13 & my son 10. Great for babysitting & love little kids biggrin.gif . We could take drive up to Alsea Falls if you make it. Absolutely killer twisties with banked roads even. It is a beautiful drive too driving.gif

Woot! babysitters! We're definitely wanting to include a visit w/your fam into the trip. a night or two would be awesome! We're still roughing out the plans, so we should get together on the phone or via email as June rolls around to see if before or after Kennewick would work better.

That travel route that BKLA posted looks fun, also. It looks like it might head (Jamie's) direction... ?

slow914
I used to visit my grandparents at crescent bar, truly a beautiful place

Great swimming especially if you walk through the gated community to the lagoon against the bluff and head all the way out the bar

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...ie=UTF8&z=9

http://www.crescentbarresort.com/
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(RJMII @ Feb 12 2009, 06:07 PM) *

That travel route that BKLA posted looks fun, also. It looks like it might head (Jamie's) direction... ?

Generally... but Jamie is about 90 minutes south of Portland. If you head through Portland, lemme know...

Hell, I've even been known to drive to Seattle on a whim...
PeeGreen 914
At this time of the year I may be able to take the kids and drop them at the g-parents and head down with my wife in the 914 piratenanner.gif Oregon isn't too far wink.gif
JRust
I smell a party.gif

I'll host the jsharp.gif . Although I don't allow any alchohol in the house. As long as we keep things outside. You guys that drink can tip a few back. Just keep it away from my kids & we're cool. We could have a nice run up the Alsea like was mentioned above driving.gif

If I wasn't so stoked for WCR allready rolleyes.gif . We are getting close to the good times again. Top down driving the teener piratenanner.gif & meets with local 914 clan drooley.gif
6freak
I smell food chowtime.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.