Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I need to lube the speedo and aclerator cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
Should I oil the speedo cable befor I install it? same question on the aclerator cable. Im sure they work fine without but im thinking long term. If so what lube do you guys recomend?

thanks
6freak
Lube it or lose it ..In my opinion if it moves it gets lube of some kind...Cable ez works well for this application...check you local bike shop
ericread
I can't speak to the speedo cable, but for the accel cable and the clutch cable, they usually come pre-lubed. I believe if you read the spec sheet that comes with them they advise that you do not lube these cables. A big concern is that excessive oil/lube can attract dirt and dust and actually degrade the existing internal lube that was used during manufacture.

Eric
6freak
I agree if its prelubed.....wire rope (cable as some say) usualy comes prelubed from the factory because it is a machanical device ...."It moves within itself" ...hence forth and there for if it moves lube it...It does atract dirt and dust but its minimal compaired to the damage no lube does..and some lubes are not compatable..but then again it is a spring type speedo cable inclosed were i would only lube the connections...JMO
Gint
I have never lubed a speedo, accelerator or clutch cable in my life and don't plan to start anytime soon.
underthetire
My neighbor has a cool piece that threads on to the end of the cable ( speedo) and hits it with the grease gun. He uses a light grease, not sure which one. He's been a mechanic for 25 years +, Smoothed out my jumping speedo needle real nice.
PeeGreen 914
If new do not as it already is. They use the right stuff too. If it is not new use the good lube and lube it. I have taken cables off parts cars that looked good but because of how long they sat they were sticky. Soak it with penetrant and let it sit in there for a time.... then lube it and it is good as new...

That said, these cable are so cheap why not just buy new... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.