Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - I'm doing a worldwide tour for about 18 months or so
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Hey, well the gig I was supposed to get in December has rolled into a Worldwide Tour. I go to York, England in May for 6 weeks of rehearsal and tech and then off on a tour of Europe & Russia then Japan in mid 2010.

It doesn't look like I'll be home before May 2010 while the gear is on a boat to Japan.

I've never really been anywhere outside of the US. When I lived in La La land Sherry and my brother took to me to TJ a couple times, but that doesn't really count.

I need recommendations on power adapters, cell phone, etc...I currently use AT&T with the iPhone - it looks like it's supposed to work international, but I'm not sure if it's the most cost effective.

Also, any experiences with monies, etc...

Thanks!
rick 918-S
I can't help with any of that. Just wanted to say HEY! Have a great time Sean! bye1.gif Send us some world wide 914 photos! driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 12 2009, 07:14 PM) *

I can't help with any of that. Just wanted to say HEY! Have a great time Sean! bye1.gif Send us some world wide 914 photos! driving.gif

Same here. If you need someone to drive, I mean store the 951 for you while your gone I know someone with some garage space. shades.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
slow914
Im a noob, what band are you in/support

Oh yeah and damn that sounds awesome, get a thread going and post as you go if you can. The idea of a multi country tour fascinates me on a social level
seanery
not in a band - I'm a video guy. I'll be out with Walking With Dinosaurs. I thought I was taking over the US tour, but I'm happily surprised that I'm starting off fresh on the World tour!
slow914
Wow, just watched a youtube, that's pretty intense congrats!!
PeeGreen 914
I can't give any advice on that stuff since I too have not been off the North American Continent but I thought I would say COOL. piratenanner.gif Get everything set and have a great time. I hope you get to see some cool stuff while you're gone. I know sometimes you travel to all these great places for work and never leave the offices sad.gif I hope that doesn't happen here.
mojorisen914
Here's what I suggest:
If your Iphone is unlocked; you can buy a local SIM card and prepay minutes. It's cheaper. For example; Tmobile works here in Iraq but it's also over $3/minute. I bought an Iraqi SIM card and some prepay minutes and now I'm only paying roughly 25cents/minute. I normally use my cell phone when I'm actually traveling from one location to another. Once I get to where I'm going; I setup my laptop online and I use Skype. I have a VOIP phone that is cordless and I can walk around my hotel room. It only costs me $2.95/month to talk unlimited to all land lines and cell phones in North America from Iraq. Trust me; that's a good deal.
Don't expect to see much 110v while abroad. Everyone else pretty much uses 220v. Stop by Radio Shack and pick up a universal convertor to take with you. They usually run about $30 bucks. Remember; laptops, camera chargers, and stuff like that are usually dual voltage. You can pick up the plug adaptors once you get to where you're going.
As far as currencies go; the almighty dollar is accepted pretty much everywhere. Find out what the exchange rate is for the country. The rate is slightly different between what bank offers vs. the local vender. You can purchase using the dollar but more than likely will receive your change in the local currency. Just ask the vender what their exchange rate is before you buy something. If it's only a few units different than the bank rate; then I usually just go with the vender. It used to be that you got a better deal using US currency; not so much anymore.
Try to learn some words in the local language. Even if you screw up the pronunciation of the word; the locals really appreciate the fact that you are trying. Always be polite and curteous. Too many Americans overseas already giving us a bad name.
Also, don't go out alone, use the buddy method. Be aware of your surroundings and have fun.
mbrown3039
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 12 2009, 07:06 PM) *

Hey, well the gig I was supposed to get in December has rolled into a Worldwide Tour. I go to York, England in May for 6 weeks of rehearsal and tech and then off on a tour of Europe & Russia then Japan in mid 2010.

It doesn't look like I'll be home before May 2010 while the gear is on a boat to Japan.

I've never really been anywhere outside of the US. When I lived in La La land Sherry and my brother took to me to TJ a couple times, but that doesn't really count.

I need recommendations on power adapters, cell phone, etc...I currently use AT&T with the iPhone - it looks like it's supposed to work international, but I'm not sure if it's the most cost effective.

Also, any experiences with monies, etc...

Thanks!

I'm not what anyone could call a seasoned international traveller, but I have beed overseas a few times and here's what I do before whipping out the passport:

1. Make a few copies of your passport and hide them in your luggage and keep one on you. If you lose your passport (or it's stolen), this will help you get another one (through the local USA embassy).

2. Speaking of which, find out where the closest US Embassy is in relation to your hotel/workplace. You never know when you might need to find it in a hurry (being mugged or injured, need to get home quickly, civil war breaks out, etc.).

3. Go to US State Department's website and look for any Travel Advisories for the countries you'll be visiting.

4. In your "Off Time," DO THINGS IN GROUPS OF THREE OR MORE. This may seem like common sense, but the problem with common sense is that it's not too common when you're tired/drunk/horny. My friends and I use to have a "designated spotter" whose job it was to not drink and keep an eye on the rest of us to make sure we all made it back to the hotel intact.

5. If you're going to be in one place for a while, learn enough about the local currency to not get ripped off. When you shop, take your time -- come back another day if possible and you'll probably get a better deal. The US dollar is widely accepted but doesn't get the automatic deep discounts it once did.

6. If you're stopped by the local authorities, be honest and forthright. Nothing is scarier than bening in a foreign jail where they've never heard of Miranda -- let alone basic human -- rights. This might be a good time to repeat the part about keeping a copy of your passport somewhere on you.

7. As far as cell phones go, be prepared to want to buy one once overseas (especially in Europe, Hong Kong, or Tokyo). They have phones that are way cooler than most US models.

8. Here's something I learned the hard way: most people are fascinated by America/Americans, but in no way feel indebted to us for anything. Why? Because almost EVERY country on this planet has been around longer than the US! They love to hear about American culture and learn more about our history and customs, but they're not interest in any kind of "the US is the best place in the world to live" arrogance.

9. Be gracious and polite to everyone you meet. Tip well, but not lavishly. If you live in a hotel for an extended period of time (a week or more), it is customary to leave something for the staff (often I just leave whatever local currency I have left, as long as it's about right).

Good luck and travel safely!!!

r_towle
I did WW sales for about 18 years.
Lived in airports.

So, passport...agree, bring copies, copies of your birth certificate, and copies of your social security card and license.
I have them here, Fedex can ship overnight anywhere in the world.
Leave a few hundred of emergency cash HERE...with someone you trust.
2-500 will get you through a few days if you loose everything.

I never lost anything...but if it happens, you can wire money (cash) in moments to a local bank/wire service...that gets you cash to get a cab to the embassy.
All your copies of everything should be on 8*11 paper so they can be faxed from the states...again...takes minutes, not days.
Origirnals can be fedexed over for a passport if needed.

Power.
Get a world traveller kit.
Toos the elec razor...go with blades...every airport has a pharmacy etc...when you land, buy new razors etc before you leave the airport...its the last place you will easily find these types of american things...in english.

Cash/wallet/passport.
You have front pockets, breast pockets...use all of them, split it up so if you get pickpocketed...you only loose one pockets worth.
I never have gotten picked...several attempts..I keep my stuff in my breast pocket, coat always closed/zipped or pocket zipped/buttoned...just dont make it simple...be smart.

Phone.
Hmm
Europe, UK, and most of NE Asia uses GSM (Like the I phone ATT network)
Parts of Asia use different technologies...country by country it changes.
In a GSM country, buy a SIM card for you Iphone. As stated above its way cheaper. Its a pay as you go card you get at the Airport.

In non-gsm countries, DO NOT use the phone...it will net you 10 dollars a minute.
Contact ATT, put in the list of countries...each one is different..check your route.

From there, enjoy life..have a great trip.
The world is a wonderful place to see, its relatively safe..just be smart.
Try to dress native...no NIKE sneakers...no sneakers at all...
Dress native and you get left alone by the theives.

I travelled alone in Europe, Asia, alot of the middle east...never had any problems.
Dont be stupid and go for a walk alone in a city at 2am in nike sneakers and sweat pants with an american flag on them...

Rich
mojorisen914
What cities/countries you going to? I know some good places to visit across Europe and UAE that I can turn you on to. happy11.gif beer.gif
championgt1
Cool job. Jealous. Make it to a professional soccer(futbol) game in Europe. aktion035.gif
HCRDAN
Good advice above. My two cents:

understand the difference between a power converter and a plug converter. Plug converter allows you to take a US format plug to a different format plug. It does not convert current from 110/115 to 220v or vice versa. You can get these from most electronic stores for anywhere between $8 to $20.

A power converter will convert the international 220v to 110/115v for your US appliance that are not already dual power. (read the tiny print on your power adapters for camera, laptop, shaver, etc...).

Walk into your nearest Radio Shack and ask them for both. Fork up 30 to 40bucks and you're done.

In terms of copies of passports and other documents, good advice provided, but here is my trick.

Set up an email account on Gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc.. and scan copies of your passport, credit cards (front and back), and all other documents that you'll be traveling with. Then if you are somewhere and need to have access due to theft or loss, just go to an internet cafe and open your email account, prin the necessary documents on the spot. If you dont own a color scanner, go to your local kinkos. Another option (not my preference) is to also carry a thumb drive with encrypted copies on it, but be careful about not having that lost or stolen.

Common sense about your personal safety. DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE. The US is very lenient compared to any other country. Drugs, well, it depends... Use common sense if you're into that type of thing.

Credit cards... Call your bank in advance and let them know which countries you will be and date ranges so they wont reject your charges as "out of the ordinary". Understand that you will be paying an international service charge for every transaction in a foreign country. That can add up to 5% to everything you charge.

How exciting... Have fun...
seanery
here's the tentative schedule

18-May-09 REHEARSAL WK 1 Stage One York, UK
25-May-09 REHEARSAL WK 2 Stage One York, UK
1-Jun-09 REHEARSAL WK 3 Stage One York, UK
8-Jun-09 REHEARSAL WK 4 Stage One York, UK
15-Jun-09 TECH WK 1 Stage One York, UK
22-Jun-09 TECH WK 2 Stage One York, UK
29-Jun-09 GLASGOW SECC UK
6-Jul-09 NEWCASTLE Metro Radio Arena UK
13-Jul-09 NOTTINGHAM Trent FM Arena UK
20-Jul-09 SHEFFIELD Sheffield Arena UK
27-Jul-09 MANCHESTER Evening News Arena UK
3-Aug-09 LONDON o2 Arena UK
10-Aug-09 BIRMINGHAM NIA UK
17-Aug-09 LIVERPOOL Liverpool Echo Arena UK
24-Aug-09 LONDON Wembley Arena UK
31-Aug-09 (Maintenance week)
7-Sep-09 ANTWERP Sportpaleis BELGIUM
14-Sep-09 ROTTERDAM Ahoy NETHERLANDS
21-Sep-09 ZURICH Hallenstadion SWITZERLAND
28-Sep-09
5-Oct-09 GOTHENBURG Scandinavium SWEDEN
12-Oct-09 COPENHAGEN Forum DENMARK
19-Oct-09 STOCKHOLM Globe SWEDEN
26-Oct-09 OSLO Spektrum Arena NORWAY
2-Nov-09 ST PETERSBURG St Petersburg Arena RUSSIA
9-Nov-09 TALLINN Saku Arena ESTONIA
16-Nov-09 HELSINKI Hartwall Arena FINLAND
23-Nov-09 VILNIUS Siemens Arena LITHUANIA
30-Nov-09 RIGA Arena LATVIA
7-Dec-09 BERLIN o2 Arena GERMANY
14-Dec-09 MANNHEIM SAP Arena GERMANY
21-Dec-09 PARIS Bercy FRANCE
28-Dec-09
4-Jan-10 COLOGNE Koln arena GERMANY
11-Jan-10 NURNBERG Arena GERMANY
18-Jan-10 FRANKFURT Festhalle GERMANY
25-Jan-10 HANNOVER TUI Arena GERMANY
1-Feb-10
8-Feb-10 HAMBURG Colorline GERMANY
15-Feb-10 PRAGUE Sazka Arena CZECH REPUBLIC
22-Feb-10 MILAN Milano Datch forum ITALY
1-Mar-10 BOLOGNA futurshow station ITALY
8-Mar-10 TORINO Pala Olimpico ITALY
15-Mar-10 MUNICH Olympiahalle GERMANY
22-Mar-10 VIENNA Stadthalle AUSTRIA
29-Mar-10 BUDAPEST Budapest Arena HUNGARY
5-Apr-10 BELGRADE Belgrade Arena SERBIA
12-Apr-10 ZAGREB Zagreb Arena CROATIA
19-Apr-10
26-Apr-10 MADRID Palacio de Deportes SPAIN
3-May-10 BARCELONA Palau Sant Jordi SPAIN
10-May-10 LISBON Pavilhao Atlantico PORTUGAL
17-May-10 Sea freight
24-May-10 Sea freight
31-May-10 Sea freight
7-Jun-10 Sea freight
14-Jun-10 Sea freight
21-Jun-10 Sea freight
28-Jun-10 Sea freight
5-Jul-10 YOKOHAMA Yokohama Arena JAPAN
12-Jul-10 FUKUI Sundome Fukui JAPAN
19-Jul-10 OSAKA Osaka-Jo Hall JAPAN
26-Jul-10 SHIZUOKA Ecopa Arena JAPAN
2-Aug-10 SAITAMA Saitama Super Arena JAPAN
9-Aug-10 NAGOYA Nihon Gaishi Hall JAPAN
16-Aug-10 FUKUOKA Marine Messe Fukuoka0 JAPAN
sww914
I always try to not look like I have a lot worth taking. Not that I ever look any other way, but still. I wouldn't ever wear a Rolex or anything like that when traveling. I always try local family owned restaurants. McDonalds is almost the same everywhere but the places that the mechanics eat lunch are the real treasures IMO. Try to get some basic info about the laws in the countries you'll be visiting. For instance, you are innocent in the US until you're proven guilty. Not so in Mexico, you're guilty until you can prove that you're innocent. Really big difference. Here you may get a citation for possessing a small amount of pot, the penalty is death in some countries and it's completely legal in some others. It's good to know ahead of time. Guns are illegal in Mexico. If you're on a boat you can bring guns into Mexico without any problems as long as you report them to the Port Captain and they don't leave the boat, according to the US State Department's website. It's a pretty good website and you can actually find the info that you need only a couple of layers down.
I know you're not going to Mexico and you may not care at all about pot but those are just some examples off of the top of my head.
Have fun and remember that where ever you are you'll probably be safer than you would be in the wrong part of LA, DC, NYC, Chicago, etc.
seanery
What about ATMs? Anything odd using them overseas?
mojorisen914
ATM'S cost you double plus international fee; a fee from your bank, a fee from the bank you are using, plus the international fee. Triple whammy! Use the money exchange places and exchange one lump sum every now and then. Yeah, you'll be carrying more cash than maybe you should but I've never had a problem. Just depends if you care about the ATM fees. Personal call.

How are you traveling within Europe? Hopefully, you'll get to go by train a lot. I usually travel by train once I get into Europe; get to see more.
effutuo101
agree.gif

Nothing to worry about with using ATM's overseas. The vast majority have an english button.
I have a Verizon world phone (black berry) That I took with me to Europe last fall. I do have the SIM and activated the countries I would be traveling through. It costs an extra $15 a month and you are running about .35 - $1.00 a minute. Expensive, but, easy to use. I didn't have to add any odd numbers to call home and my wife could reach me any time she needed to. I got all of the different power plugs with the phone and the charger would handle the different voltages.

Next to that, I would get a pay as you go phone once you land that is valid in all of Europe. That way, you can dump it when you are done and reactivate it when you return. Pretty easy to do.

I also picked up a 7-1 plug converter just in case. I did have to use it once. Made life easy and it all fits in the palm of your hand.

I would scan all of your documents and send them to an account that you can access from anywhere world wide. (I sent mine to my hotmail account and copied my parents).
Passport
SSN
Shot records
flight numbers, boat information, eticket numbers.

If you have an e safe on your phone, That is where I would put my credit card numbers, pin numbers, and the credit card phone numbers. hotel numbers the consulate number for each country and the address.

A small phrase book for every country I would be going to. A small note book and pencil/pen. If somebody talks way to fast, you can have them write it down and translate it.

If you can, keep about a 500 in Euros in small bills scattered through your clothes and luggage. I found that getting an ATM withdraw's easy. Find out the major banks and you will minmize your problems.

That looks like a great trip. Enjoy!
Rick_Eberle
Carry an old wallet, with say $20 and some old expired credit cards in it. IF you get mugged, throw it past the mugger and run the other way...
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

God Sean what a great life. Never been out of the U.S. Just know while on the

trip the there is a old man in N.W. Ohio that is Green with envy! Please keep us

informed via this site with pictures. Please start a thread here just for that.

Take care, good luck and have fun. Dave slap.gif

Bewildebeest
Welcome for when you get to our little island. PM me for contact details if you want/need any help or info while you are over here. Can you post a link to the show you are doing - sounds like my boys would be interested.
Andrew
auerbach
pack a power strip. Plug the strip into the local adapter and you don't have to worry about plugs
seanery
Walking With Dinosaurs Web

As far as money goes, I get paid direct deposit, however, I should get my Per Diem in cash, but I have no idea what currency to expect.
hcdmueller
A lot of the countries you are going to deal in Euro. It makes things pretty easy. Most people in Europe speak English. That makes things really easy most of the time. Like other people have said, don't assume the person you are talking to speaks english and you will be okay.

I have never had a problem with using ATM's outside the US. Most of the time the ATM gave me a better conversion rate than the local exhange places.

Don't try and use your phone in Japan. It is illegal to use a non japanese phone there (frequency issues or something).

Enjoy the trip. There is not a bad place on your list.
Gint
Looks like a great experience Sean! I've been to London, Finland and Estonia (and of course both ends of Canada and Mexico) but only for vacations. I can't add anything to what's already been said here (great advice BTW), except I hope you don't ahve to spend all your time working and you get to have some fun and enjoy the experience.
maf914
It's been almost 20 years since I lived in Europe and the Middle East. All of the advice offered applied then. (Except for cell phone use because there were no cell phones then. laugh.gif )

The advice on security measures is very good. There are some recommendations that I never thought of in the past.

I especially agree with being polite and curteous to the locals, afterall we are visitors. The concept of the ugly American is unfortunately real and when you see how some Americans act you will understand why. I also agree with the advice to eat in small restaurants with the locals. Just like here in the US you can find some of the most enjoyable food in the low-key places.

Have fun, Sean. This sounds like a great opportunity, one you will never forget.

Oh, and thanks for the 914 tee shirts and very quick delivery!
neo914-6
Sounds like fun!

If you're in a large city it shouldn't be a problem but English TV can be limited. Bring DVD's for your laptop or book(s).

Find a bar or coffee shop catering to Americans and you can get current info from other travelers or ex-pats. They are always willing to give you tips.

I've never had money I've left out "missing" in Asian Hotels but use the Hotel lock boxes or safes if provided just in case.

Hotel exchange rates are usually higher, I usually go to a local bank. If you know the rate is low for the day, use your credit card. It should charge for that day's rate.

Have someone take care of your bills at home.. smile.gif

PanelBilly
I'd pick up the language training kits from Rosetta Stone, My company supplied their office furniture years ago when they were first getting started and the saleman who worked with them said the training program was excellent. Anyways, they have been pretty sucessful over the last few years so it must be working and I understand the progam you get teaches a langage really fast.

I'm just thinking it would be so much more fun if you could blend into the culture of one of the countries you stay in.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.