Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinish Targa Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
unsure.gif Anyone know of a source to have the targa top refinished on the exterior? I have two roofs and both suffer from the same problem - the exterior finish is worn and PO tried to repaint/refinish in spots and they look like hell. Does anyone refinish these? Or is there a good source for new/refinished tops? Costs? I know, just keep it in the trunk. But here in New England I would like to have a top that will look as good as the rest of the car. I don't want to sand it down and paint and would like to try to match the factory finish/appearance as close as possible. Thanks.
Joe Bob
A couple schools of thought.....sand it smooth and paint it the car color or smooth black

OR

Lightly sand to get out imperfections and get a semi gloss "splatter" paint in a rattle can.....
r_towle
Another thought....
Lenny in Stow has probably 100 tops....you should be able to find a good one there.

Or Foreign Intrigue

Rich
URY914
I sanded mine smooth than painted it black.
Looked OK.

Paul
F4i
I am going to sand mine down and get it coated with a truck bed liner. The inlaw's truck bed looks nearly identical to the factory roof. Plus it should be very durable.
McMark
Nearly Identical is very subjective. I'm über picky and I haven't seen anything that looks original yet.
Aaron Cox
since you cant get quite the texture....SAND IT!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Feb 21 2004, 07:01 PM)
Nearly Identical is very subjective. I'm über picky and I haven't seen anything that looks original yet.

agree.gif
tat2dphreak
sand it, paint it body color... my personal preference anyway.
william harris
cool.gif Thanks guys. The idea is to have an original looking roof. Rich, I guess I have a couple of reasons to speak with Lenny Cummings. Phone number and addrress if you have them handy. Don't mind looking thru 100 roofs. laugh.gif
Slowpoke
Buy a can of chip guard ( at an automotice paint supplier ) and spray it about 18 to 24 inches from the top. Then paint it with a flatten top coat of your preference. Or if you don't want to paint it at all just use the the black chip guard. But, I like it painted better.
iamchappy
I have always used vinyl paint right over the exisiting finish, just clean it up good with dishwashing soap and final prep, tack it and shoot, use a good quality ppg or dupont commercial vinyl paint or dye as they call it. I have even had good results from the rattle can duplicolor vinyl dye but it's hard to lay it down wet enough and even.
It will give you a perfect like new semi gloss satin finish, I have never had it peel, It somehow absorbs right in and will make the top look new and original.

Trust me it's the way to go if you want it to look original and new again.
MarkV
It is almost imposible to get good results from a rattle can.

I went to an automotive paint store and bought a quart of semi-flat black acrylic enamel, catalyst & reducer. The top I started with had all of the factory texture intact. Used a maroon Scotch pad to ruff it up a little before shooting it. It looks as close to new as any I have seen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.