Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Donuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
Some time ago, I was trading posts regarding front suspension on another 914 site, when a well known ex-admin mentioned that he had removed the rubber donut and replaced it with a solid unit.

I had already replaced my tie-rods with turbo tie-rods, and upgraded my front bushings with Poly-Bronze bushings. So what was left but to remove the squishy rubber steering coupler?

So a fellow 914er from San Diego by the name of Mark Garriott created some stering coupler replacements.

The original steering coupler (Donut) is shown as item number 22 in the following diagram:
Click to view attachment

This is the solid aluminum donut that is the replacement for the rubber cuopler. It was black anodized.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I plan to install it in my DD in about two weeks, and I will follow up with how I feel it affects the feel of my steering.

Pretty sweet, eh? boldblue.gif

914Sixer
I am thinking you will have lots of vibration. I am sure they made these out of rubber for that reason.
ericread
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 13 2009, 12:59 PM) *

I am thinking you will have lots of vibration. I am sure them made these out of rubber for that reason.

Isn't that the same question that was expressed when we started to trade out the original tie-rods (with the rubber donut) with the turbo tie-rods? By the same token, the rubber donuts are 35 years old now, so maybe it will tighten-up the steering to a nice, acceptable level.

I'll let you know what my experience is with these once i get it installed.

Eric
PeeGreen 914
I am doing the same thing but my thought on it is that the rubber is in there to soften the steering as the every day drive that bought this car wouldn't have wanted at sharp response as this will give. I don't mind since I have a mostly AX car. The daily drivers may feel it is too much but I doubt it. We'll see beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 13 2009, 12:59 PM) *

I am thinking you will have lots of vibration. I am sure them made these out of rubber for that reason.

Mark,
In general, I agree with you. Anytime you start changing things because you think you are improving on a design, you are disagreeing with the original engineer.

However in this case, there is considerable precedent. Other cars of the era, the 240Z comes to mind, have been changing out this same basic design with polyurathane without problem for years.

I have 2 of the bushings sitting next to me on my desk right now. I was less concerned with vibration than with shock from bump steer ripping the wheel out of your hands. Then I remembered I have the same basic thing in the Z without problem.

It isn't for everyone, it will quicken up the steering response considerably. Some of us don't care about that. I do driving.gif
J P Stein
We put the solid jobbie in last weekend, but have not test flown it yet.
Tho the original doughnut looked fine when exposed, but there was about 3-5 (WAG) deg play in it when turned..... no load, wheels off the ground. Upon removal, the steel inserts fell out....the holes in the rubber were badly oversized and, of course, no longer bonded to the rubber. I assume the bonding failed first then the steel started working on the rubber. 35 years is too long for the thing me thinks....so, even if you can't get around an aluminum doughnut, you might wanna look yours and get a new stocker.
J P Stein
I need to correct myself....I hate that.
Went out & took another look at the stock dognut. The inserts are apparently not bonded in place. There is about .06 gap all around the insert which would account for much of the movement I saw. Some wear is visible.....but they are made that way.
pete-stevers
This thread got me thinking happy11.gif
what is better with a coffee in the am than an old fashioned deep fried doughnut....
it is tough to get these critters anywhere, everyone seems to have switched to par baked doughnuts, cause they are healthier....which really sucks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.