Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Starving?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Solo914
Hello,
I have been autoxing for along time but this will be my first time really autoxing my 914. The car is a mostly stock 74 1.8, with konis and sticky street rubber and was wondering how much fuel I should run. I aligned it and took it for a spin and did some LONG sweeping turns and on a few of the turns I had fuel cut out. Now, I haven't been able to test LONG left hand turns yet but it is happening on the right hand cloverleafs. Even with a full tank I had it happen so I guess I am asking is if this is common?

If it is common, are there any tricks besides a fuel cell or custom baffling a stock tank?

If it isn't common, what would you be looking into? One thing I can think of is the Air Flow Meter(flapper door) closing under side loads.

Kyle
Joe Ricard
Not only should you worry about fuel starvation but also oil starvation as well.

I would run enough gas so the light does not go on in a hard turn. I can get the light on with WAY over 1/2 tank. However my carbs don't much care.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Feb 13 2009, 05:11 PM) *

Even with a full tank I had it happen

No, it didn't ... Trust me, you can't put enough Gs on a stock 914 to starve the motor of fuel with a full tank.

If your car was cutting out on hard cornering with a full tank, i suspect a lose electrical contact somewhere or maybe a clogged fuel filter (sucked in some crap from the bottom of the tank).

I've driven many AX from stock 1.7 /4 to 3.6L /6 and i never ever had it cut out from fuel starvation. I usually start with about 1/2 a tank of gas and that lasts me all day.
shades.gif Andy
Solo914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 13 2009, 06:11 PM) *

Even with a full tank I had it happen

No, it didn't ... Trust me, you can't put enough Gs on a stock 914 to starve the motor of fuel with a full tank.

If your car was cutting out on hard cornering with a full tank, i suspect a lose electrical contact somewhere or maybe a clogged fuel filter (sucked in some crap from the bottom of the tank).

I've driven many AX from stock 1.7 /4 to 3.6L /6 and i never ever had it cut out from fuel starvation. I usually start with about 1/2 a tank of gas and that lasts me all day.
shades.gif Andy

I hear ya. Brand new fuel filter and recently cleaned tank so that is out. I think electrical connection or AFM.

Kyle
rhodyguy
i hope he didn't show up too low for today's event in bremerton. the mini-mart that was close to the track doesn't sell fuel any longer.
ConeDodger

Hello,
I have been autoxing for along time but this will be my first time really autoxing my 914. The car is a mostly stock 74 1.8, with konis and sticky street rubber and was wondering how much fuel I should run. I aligned it and took it for a spin and did some LONG sweeping turns and on a few of the turns I had fuel cut out. Now, I haven't been able to test LONG left hand turns yet but it is happening on the right hand cloverleafs. Even with a full tank I had it happen so I guess I am asking is if this is common?

If it is common, are there any tricks besides a fuel cell or custom baffling a stock tank?

If it isn't common, what would you be looking into? One thing I can think of is the Air Flow Meter(flapper door) closing under side loads.

Kyle

Impossible. You would have to turn the car upside down to actually starve it for fuel. L-Jet AFM have a couple of features that might be causing your problem. Some (later) have a fuel cut for roll over feature and you may be tripping that or you are just shutting your air flap door. You might try prying off the cover on the AFM and tightening the spring a little at a time. How is your EFI harness? You could be losing an electrical connection momentarily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.