Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally chased the gremlins out of the carbs...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnnie5
I have been fighting my dual 40 Webers, partially due to learning as I go (carbs have always been a weak spot for me). So when I transferred them from my 1.8 to the 2056, I did not do everything I should have when they were off. I DID change the venturies, main, idle, emulsion, and air to Mr Raby's recommended spec. I did NOT, however, check/adjust the float measurement (Jake had included #'s for this as well) or the needle/seat for wear. So, some of my troubleshooting is actually stuff that should have been done initially. I have taken apart the carbs on two seperate occasions to do things that should have all been done before the carbs were even put on the new motor. smoke.gif

1st time apart, check float measurement....WAY off. Too far in, and too far down. Adjust to correct spec. Also examine needle/seat and find groove on both needle's. REPLACE.

2nd time apart, chasing gremlins out of idle circuit. Take out all 4 idle jets, air mixture screws, and carb tops off. Spray carb cleaner down into top of circuit and let soak, then blow out with air. Replace flat o rings on mixture screws.

BTW, Jakes jetting recommendation for dual 40's on his/Marks 2056 was:
32MM venturi
55 idle (50 actually worked better for me)
130 main (135 w Cali crappy gas - I stayed w 130)
200 air (180 or 190 at sea level - I went with 180)
F 11 emulsion
Float - 10MM in and 23 on the drop.

Thanks to a few of my friends holding my hand and walking me through the storm... and also to Mr McMark for a really solid carb 'lesson' he was kind enough to give me over the phone a few weeks ago ~ I am proud to say...
THE GREMLINS ARE GONE!!! aktion035.gif cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif

Hopefully for at least the weekend!
ssstikircr
Good deal.... now its time to enjoy your hard work! driving.gif
McMark
Glad to hear it! Drive the hell out of it. happy11.gif
Gint
Grats! smilie_pokal.gif Getting carbs right (or even close laugh.gif) after dickin around for weeks is one of the most satisfying 914 experiences.
johnnie5
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 14 2009, 08:25 AM) *

Grats! smilie_pokal.gif Getting carbs right (or even close laugh.gif) after dickin around for weeks is one of the most satisfying 914 experiences.

AMEN Mike! I went for a drive today and it was just fantastic! Car/motor is just running near perfect!

I am a happy camper, I love these damn cars! biggrin.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Feb 13 2009, 07:43 PM) *

I have been fighting my dual 40 Webers, partially due to learning as I go (carbs have always been a weak spot for me). So when I transferred them from my 1.8 to the 2056, I did not do everything I should have when they were off. I DID change the venturies, main, idle, emulsion, and air to Mr Raby's recommended spec. I did NOT, however, check/adjust the float measurement (Jake had included #'s for this as well) or the needle/seat for wear. So, some of my troubleshooting is actually stuff that should have been done initially. I have taken apart the carbs on two seperate occasions to do things that should have all been done before the carbs were even put on the new motor. smoke.gif

1st time apart, check float measurement....WAY off. Too far in, and too far down. Adjust to correct spec. Also examine needle/seat and find groove on both needle's. REPLACE.

2nd time apart, chasing gremlins out of idle circuit. Take out all 4 idle jets, air mixture screws, and carb tops off. Spray carb cleaner down into top of circuit and let soak, then blow out with air. Replace flat o rings on mixture screws.

BTW, Jakes jetting recommendation for dual 40's on his/Marks 2056 was:
32MM venturi
55 idle (50 actually worked better for me)
130 main (135 w Cali crappy gas - I stayed w 130)
200 air (180 or 190 at sea level - I went with 180)
F 11 emulsion
Float - 10MM in and 23 on the drop.

Thanks to a few of my friends holding my hand and walking me through the storm... and also to Mr McMark for a really solid carb 'lesson' he was kind enough to give me over the phone a few weeks ago ~ I am proud to say...
THE GREMLINS ARE GONE!!! aktion035.gif cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif

Hopefully for at least the weekend!

Johnnie,
Very cool! But be sure people don't think this is a general recommendation. Jake is talking about your engine at your altitude and climate. His recommendation for that same engine in Atlanta would probably be different. We don't want people to get the wrong idea...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.