Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another new project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rudedude
I just picked this up yesterday. Its a 1973 that despite all the firewall and hell hole rust has perrfect door gaps and no exterior panel rust.
The previous owner picked up a floor pan and Engman"s hell hole kit and long reinforcement kit but I think it will need more. I haven't done one that needs this extensive repair so I am looking for advice as to what pieces I should obtain to make this as painless as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jule

Where did my pictures go???

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
heavydriver
Way to go ... welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

There are a couple of us with new projects this year. Here's looking forward to Christmas. driving.gif
Cheapsnake
Your first shot of the long...walk in the park.

Second shot, firewall...easy patch, floor pan...yikes!

Third shot, hell hole...yikes x 2!

I just completed most of the rust repairs on a 73 and my experience says you haven't seen it all yet. My longs were much worse than yours, but the hellhole and floors not as bad. But, it's all fixable, especially if you've already got some repair parts. That hellhole may require a transplant, but from the looks of your shop you should be up to anything the car throws at you.

FWIW, I fabbed all my repair pieces out of 16ga and beat it into shape. It's very time intensive, but it preserves any intrinsic structural strength and by lapping the new metal over old (solid) metal you're actually gaining strength. And don't forget to square up and level everything before you start rebuilding.

Good luck and we'll watch for your progress photos.

Tom
rick 918-S
Is that your home shop?
ericread
Come on now... It's not so bad. A little bondo and some De-Rusto and that'll buff right out lol3.gif

Heeltoe914
Very nice home shop,
PanelBilly
I used to wonder about guys that let their women whip them. I mean who could get their kicks out of being tied up and beat. Since I started watching guys like you restore teeners, I've come to understand the world of torment.

rudedude
That's my home shop. No women allowed. I worked out of my single car garage for too many years.

As for the teener I would never have guessed it would look like it does.
Virtually no exterior panel rust, perfect door gaps and no body repair.
It makes me think I should fix it, but I still am open for suggestion.
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(rudedude @ Feb 16 2009, 12:02 PM) *

That's my home shop. No women allowed.

Man Rule #1! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.