Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to use to clean factory undercoating?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
Any suggestions on what to use to get rubbery undercoating looking new? Has dirt and grime in it. Maybe a rubber care product?

Click to view attachment

Thanks,

Tod
914runnow
I thought Griots has something?????
The other option is try some spray 'Orange ' degreaser/cleaner
and a stiff brush....that did an ok job for me..But if yah want it black black..
new spray over is it, be it paint or more undercoating....For a 'Temp' shine=blast it with armourall..just watch the brakes..!!>Technically...re concour...
Itaintpostahbethere...
smg914
I spent months laying on my back cleaning the undercoating on bottom of my Sahara Beige 914 with a bottle of 409 cleaner and a toothbrush. I turned out great.
tod914
Thanks! Sounds like some good tips.
Pat Garvey
I've said this before. It works great - gets the emolients back into the undercoating.

Copious quantities of WD40 - sprayed onto high grade towels & rubbed briefy into the surface. Will make it close to it's original tackiness.

Of course, the towels will have to be pitched, but it works. High grade shop disposable towls are the best.
Pat
Porsche Rescue
Were the cars undercoated at the factory or by the dealer? Mine has no undercoat. If factory, did it appear on the window sticker/COA as an extra cost option?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 16 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Were the cars undercoated at the factory or by the dealer? Mine has no undercoat. If factory, did it appear on the window sticker/COA as an extra cost option?

They were not undercoated by the factory, though I've a couple of sworn-to tales.

Sometimes the dealer would do it, at additional cost (which should show on the bill of sale). Many times they were done aftermarket, particularly by a company named Ziebart, and particularly in the rust belts. My 914 is such an example, and has benefited from the process. It was a very thorough, yet messy process - required lotsa cleanup & years of oozing in hot weather!
Pat
tod914
So a COA would not show undercoating on it, correct? I'll have to order one. Kind of an odd configuration on this one, so very curious to see.
JeffBowlsby
Actually fellas,

A PVC undercoating was Optional Equipment M-640. This info came from european price lists, so I have sometimes wondered if this was a ROW-only option, all I have ever seen here is a black tar/wax undercoating.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/OpEq.htm

But I do have this COA of indicating the option on a North America-delivery car:

biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 16 2009, 09:37 PM) *

Actually fellas,

A PVC undercoating was Optional Equipment M-640. This info came from european price lists, so I have sometimes wondered if this was a ROW-only option, all I have ever seen here is a black tar/wax undercoating.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/OpEq.htm

But I do have this COA of indicating the option on a North America-delivery car:

biggrin.gif

This is interesting, because my 77 924 had this compound, which I called a Waxoyl-type thing. My 76 Rabbit had it also, as well as my 78 Audi 100, and most of the VW's I've had since. On hot summer days it becomes semi-liquid & oozes out of most orifices - year after year! Makes a mess anywhere the car is parked during the hot summer months. And, it never stops seeping!

Don't know if it's the same compound you were describing, but it's messy!
Pat
tod914
I just tried the Griot's rubber cleaner for their tire cleaning kit on it. Perfect results with minimal effort. I let it soak for a couple minutes then took a soapy scrub brush to it and it turned out really nice. Dressed it the tire dressing.
Ferg
How about some "after" pics.

Although I'm trying REAL hard not to make this one to nice, I've been driving the heck out of it.

Ferg
IronHillRestorations
Allen Caldwell told me that the main inland transport company that was used on the west coast would undercoat all the cars with the black bituminous coating and then tack it on the transport bill.
tod914
Ferg soon as the rain stops, I'll pull it out and post some shots. Think this is the factory undercoat.
scrz914
The best undercoating resto I've seen was on an early 911. It looked brand new. The owner's method was 409, a good bristle brush, and then he hooked up a hose to his hot water heater and gave it a good rinsing.
tod914
I did the 409 method as per Steve's reckomendation. The Griots does a quicker and easier job. I'll post shots this weekend when I have time.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ..WELL GUYS...my 914 also has undercoating...and over the years has started to fall off, exposing the original PAINT....In the fenderwells and on the bottom of the front trunk....I would like to ..RE-UNDERCOAT all of those areas. WHAT would your recommendation be for an undercoating product...(obviously would like to avoid a DRIPPING DROOLING asphalt-type product.) the undercoating on my car is so hard and brittle it has been chipped off by road rocks etc. any RECOMENDATION ? brandname, where to purchase? I am at this point NOW...in the revitalization/intensive/indepth sevicing of this car...THANKS, murray. popcorn[1].gif
Roy
Wondering this myself. Any off the shelf product available that closely approximates the white/grey colour and texture of the factory undercoating?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 16 2009, 06:37 PM) *

I have seen the PVC undercoating on at least two cars here in the US.
It's noticeably different than the tar like undercoating.

It's light gray-ish in color ...
bye1.gif Andy
tod914
Ferg, hard drive was wiped out before I could post. I'll do some before and after with the red car later this winter. Has the same undercoating on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.