Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temp sender mods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914hog
My "Special Edition" was lacking the oil temp sender. I have the center console, but the sender is missing from the oil pan. I have heard of folks installing a sender on the engine as opposed to the oil pan. Can anybody provide guidance on the pros and cons, and perhaps install instructions on the engione-type sender? I have not even looked at the back of the temp gage (good condition), but I am unsure on how to install the stock wiring as well to the oil pan...is it stock a single wire from gage to oil pan? I found the sender on Pelican for $27; seems reasonable.

Thanks
Dave Cawdrey
You want a dual sender, for the guage and idiot light
flag.gif
Dave_Darling
That's the pressure sender, Dave.

No real feedback on putting a temp sender elsewhere in the motor...

Do you have the sender plate, or is it just the plain "taco plate" with no hole for the sender or wire? You can bolt the sender onto the plain plate, but it's kinda ugly. Plus it sticks down into the airstream, and will probably read cooler than the actual temps.

--DD
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 29 2003, 02:47 PM)
That's the pressure sender, Dave.

No real feedback on putting a temp sender elsewhere in the motor...

Do you have the sender plate, or is it just the plain "taco plate" with no hole for the sender or wire? You can bolt the sender onto the plain plate, but it's kinda ugly. Plus it sticks down into the airstream, and will probably read cooler than the actual temps.

--DD

Oopps! Thats what I get for "wake 'n bakin" wacko.gif
Zeke
I have a plate in the works, but the responce was low (about 6 is all that wanted them). I will do it eventually with or w/o much demand. See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&highlite=plate
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(Zeke @ Mar 29 2003, 07:14 PM)
I have a plate in the works, but the responce was low (about 6 is all that wanted them). I will do it eventually with or w/o much demand. See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&highlite=plate

I was thinkin bout yer plate and clutch wheel after reading/reply this post. Still jus prototypes made, huh? I do want both, still. LMK when available wavey.gif
Brad Roberts
Milt,

I would do a run of 20 of them and shelf them. I'm thinking real seriously about a special club site area for members who have developed parts for the 914. A special sales area or something. I want reward those who make good parts with a place to sell them.

B
Mark Henry
What exactly is the problem with the factory temp gauge? If it is not accurate as far as the red line goes, can I just put the sender in boiling water so that I can mark a base line temp? Or is there more to it than just that?

In response to Dave 's recommendation of the dual pressure/idiot light switch (yeh, I know he was OT and bakin' wink.gif ) But those dual senders totally suck the big one. Nothing is faster than the stock idiot light switch, that I know of.

For years I've been running a big honking red light, in my line of sight, to know if I have oil pressure or not. I plan to run a stock switch and I will modify my stock combo gauge with a bigger, brighter oil light. I will tie an oil pressure gauge into the lines somewhere, but that gauge will be more of a reference and just to look pretty.
Dave_Darling
If you calibrate the stock gauge, then it's great. Otherwise, it just says "hotter" or "colder", and doesn't tell you hotter or colder than what...

--DD
Zeke
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 30 2003, 11:18 PM)
Milt,

I would do a run of 20 of them and shelf them. I'm thinking real seriously about a special club site area for members who have developed parts for the 914. A special sales area or something. I want reward those who make good parts with a place to sell them.

B

Easy for you to say, but you know as well as I how much short runs cost. The CNC program alone wouldn't be paid for with 20. But, I will do it, it's just now I'm looking at late spring because I have to front the money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.