Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
Got a chance to work on the 73 teener today. Weather was in the 20's and most of the snow is gone so I am getting anxious to do some driving.

I was gonna switch out the torsion bars with a nice used set I picked up last fall. Got the adjuster off and headbang.gif the spline count is wrong. The car has a 5 lug conversion and the existing torsion bars have a 30 spline count. The replacement ones I have are 29.

I am trying to soften the ride on this thing so it doesn't ride so darn rough. Where do I get 911 (30 spline) torsion bars? New ones at the bird and AA are pretty pricey. Is it OK to get used ones? If so, who are the preferred vendors for these things and what size is preferable?

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
Eric_Shea
Ya-Hey-Der Warren,

You have a couple of options:

1. The stock 911 size (18.8) may work well for you. It will be a little stiffer than a 914 but should be suitable (I'm not sure what you're replacing). I don't think there's anything wrong with a used bar as long as there's no rust or rubbing on the bar. Often, bushings will wear causing the arm to rub on the torsion bar. Good, stock 911 bars should be a dime-a-dozen.

2. 914-6 bars may be what you're looking for but, they may be harder to find. They have the 30 spline count and they are 17.8mm; same as a stock 914.

Either way... I'm with ya. I'm not a fan of heavily sprung suspensions. Better to have awesome shock absorbers and a decent sway bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.