Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody out there getting ready to assemble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
The paint is DONE. I resanded down the inside of tha sail panels and got them re-painted today. Well, I need to wait a few weeks for the paint to cure enough to buff, but everything looks right this time.

I'm eager to start planning the reassembly. It been a few years since I tore the car down and all the photos I took to document the process were "lost" in the divorce. I figure there needs to be a plan and if anybody out there is a few steps ahead of me or remembers the sequence from a project they finished, I could use some help.

I'm thinking I should start with the wiring that runs in the tunnel. But what's next?
736conver
No real help. But I didnt have much of a plan. I did run the harness first. Then it was just whatever I felt like doing first.
Richard Casto
Sorry you lost your teardown documentation. Here is a link to mine...

http://motorsport.zyyz.com/project_914_02.htm

That page has the rough order that I took mine apart. I have not done this before, but my guess would be to do it in this order...

1. Hard brake and fuel lines.
2. Speedo and throttle cable
3. Wiring Harness
4. Wiper linkage and motor
5. Ventilation under the cowl
6. Dash and remainder of front ventilation
7. Master cylinder and fluid reservoir
8. Front suspension
9. Steering

1,2 and 3 might need a different order. With the rest I am guessing the order is probably less important. Engine and Transmission would be one of the last things.

Good luck!
VaccaRabite
I went through this recently...

Wiring harness goes in first. Get a friend, its a bitch and a half getting the big grommet through the fire wall.

Next run your tunnel fuel lines. Hopefully you bought (or made) the nice metal ones and are not still using the "burn your car up" plastic ones.

Then, do brakes and suspension. leave the back wheels off.

Then run your throttle and clutch cable through the tunnel. they will probably be twisted the first time.

replace firewall shifter bushing.

Then run your shifter bar through the tunnel. Its getting crowded in there.

At this point, your tunnel should be done. Start working on the engine bay. do whatever you need to get it ready for your engine (varies due to what engine you are running).

Hook up your engine and tranny. Probably worth while to make sure they run BEFORE putting them back in the car. Way easier to adjust everything while it is out of the car.

Install engine, exhaust. Attach throttle and clutch cables.

Now, do everything else.

I HIGHLY suggest writing down a plan for the work you want to do that day, and all the parts you need to do it, before starting work. Otherwise, you end up like me having to stop work (frusterated) because you don't have a $.30 washer, and can't find one locally.

Expect it to take longer to put the car together then it took to take it apart.

Zach
Gint
agree.gif to a degree, however... plan schman.... you don't need a plan. Just do it! laugh.gif I'm laughing because I can't take my own advice.

Wiring harness and tunnel first as Zach suggested. From there it depends on what is ready and what isn't. If the motor is in pieces, what's the point of doing the engine compartment? I'm going to do the suspension first so the car will be finished underneath and can be rolled around. From there I think I'll work on the steering, dash and front trunk dash components. Then... and on and on.
craig downs
I'm just finishing putting mine together and I didn't have a plan. I looked and thought about what needed to be done and did it. You'll find you can't just grab parts and bolt them on because you either have to rebuild, clean, or paint em.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(craig downs @ Feb 17 2009, 12:45 AM) *

I'm just finishing putting mine together and I didn't have a plan. I looked and thought about what needed to be done and did it. You'll find you can't just grab parts and bolt them on because you either have to rebuild, clean, or paint em.

This is the way I went about it also. I think it cost me a lot fo time not making a plan ahead of time. I am thankful that I had "people that know" (okay, DrEvil - who has been more helpful to me then can be imagined) tell me to do the tunnel first.

On the days that I went in with a plan, I got a ton done. On the days that I just went in to brain it out, I got very little done at all. Usually because I could not find parts I needed (stuff gets lost when in storage for 3 years) or stuff needed rebuilding that I had not planned on, or stuff was dirty, or I was stressed from life and already overwhelmed before I even stepped into the garage (those nights were more "decompression" nights then actually work nights). A simple plan for work to be done (list on a postit note), and an inventory of the parts that you need to make it happen made the slight amount of time get used way more effectively.

Zach
PanelBilly
I think that perhaps the best route then is to get into every box and inventory the parts first, order what's worn out or broken and clean the rest. Then assemble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.