Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: out of long storage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfbus66
I've been in the air cooled vw scene for a while and bought 73 914 as a father/son project. Its been sitting in garage for ? years. Gas very bad! previous owner states he put small amount of oil in spark plug hole but never attempted to start engine. I know to first drain and clean fuel tank. What is best way to drain tank and clean out fuel lines and injectors? What is the best procedure for getting it ready to bring to life? Was going to buy tune up parts, do I need revlimiting rotor? Thanks. Gene
rick 918-S
welcome.png I would pull the tank. Remove the sender from the top and the filter screen from the bottom and pressure wash the tank. Replace the rubber fuel lines is under the tank. check the plastic lines if their still flexable they should be fine. If not and they look cracked or are brittle change them. Use the search function. Lots of guys have changed fuel lines through the tunnel.
IronHillRestorations
I'd suggest pulling the tank, taking it to a radiator shop that will do fuel tanks, and having them boil it out.

Change all fluids, fuel, engine oil, gear oil in trans, brake fluid.

Like Rick, said I'd change all the rubber fuel lines and vacuum hoses.

Change the brake fluid by bleeding new fluid through the system, and then check the function of your calipers. It would be rare if at least one of your rear calipers wasn't frozen.
swl
all good advise above. Fuel delivery is going to be your major concern. The rule of thumb around here (and I now strongly support it) is 'if you don't know the age of the high pressure fuel lines replace them'. Thats from the pump out to pressure regulator and includes the elbows. Kits are available from places like auto atlanta and pelican. There are also good mail order places to get your fuel injectors cleaned. Very worth while.

In addition to the fuel lines the djet is really sensitive to vacuum leaks. Again kits are available and replacing the lines can save you a whole bunch of grief in sorting out problems once you do get it started. Not as critical as the fuel lines - just a good idea.

Be very careful when disconnecting elements of the wiring harness particularily at the injectors. Typically the harness is very brittle - no surprise there. But the connectors can be very stiff. You cannot put any force on the wire itself and if your hand slips off the connector during a big heave ho you will likely break the wires. The break can be hidden so you may not know it. Wherever you can try to lever the connector off with a small screwdriver.
PanelBilly
I'd inspect the frame and structure first. Just because the engine can start doesn't mean the car can be driven. It could be that the car is sound, but if not, the project requires on a totally different approach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.