Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dashboard Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
It's 3:19 am and I finished the friggin dashboard restoration.

I made a new "dash face" by cutting out a template for the old face out of formica and then adhering the older-style basketweave material do it. This took an evening. This also allowed me to delete the seatbelt warning light.

Then I cleaned up the old dash, and repainted the front side and openings with satin black paint.

Using the old dash top covering material, I cut a new "under pad" from foam, and a new dash top from black vinyl.

IPB Image

I glued the foam to the dash and let dry and then glued the vinyl to the dash, trimmed, and let dry.

Then I adhered the new dash face to the dash frame with double-sided sticky tape.

I also made a new covering for the glove box door.

I installed the new dash pad and the previously restored lower dash pad.

New lenses for the switch assemblies, NOS blower control unit

I sldo fitted the DIN frame for the new stereo head unit.

Voila! Restored dashboard assembly!

IPB Image
RocknRollFrenzy
That looks incredible. I may just have to take a crack at redoing the top of my dash after seeing that.
VegasRacer
Karl, I can't see quite enought to be able to ID your pinball machine. I have 2 1/2 vintage ones here.
This guy is a friend of mine. The next free game night / charity fundraiser at his warehouse is next month.
If you're really into pinball, it is worth the trip. Play 'till your fingers bleed. Future Pinball Hall of Fame.

BTW - The dash looks great. smash.gif
East coaster
Wow.....Looks great Karl! Funky tach.......I dig it. Is it just a porsche tach re-done?
seanery
Very Nice Karl!
watsonrx13
Great job Karl. smilie_pokal.gif
trojanhorsepower
Man Karl, that looks great smilie_pokal.gif

-Pete
McMark
I have a tach that goes to 11. That's one more than 10.

laugh.gif
Qarl
It's a NOS six cylinder tach that was recalibrated to 10,000 RPM, and a custom face put on it.

PLus the internals were modified to accept the signal from the electronic ignition.

And then a custom paint job.
Dave_Darling
Schweeeeeet....

--DD
rick 918-S
aktion035.gif
echocanyons
Are your gauge needles yellow?

Very nice result!
Qarl
Yes... gauge needles are yellow to match the exterior color.

Remember... yellow is faster
echocanyons
Nice touch!
echocanyons
The tach is way cool too.

ala 914/GT
tat2dphreak
pray.gif

very nice!!
StratPlayer
Very very nice,, done like a pro, hard work has paid off. Your car will be amazing. smilie_pokal.gif
dmenche914
Very nice dash, but with a 7200 rpm redline, is only a 150 mph speedo enough???

Should be one very fast machine!!!

dave
ThinAir
Kelly -

I love that steering wheel, especially the horn button. Much nicer than the "bow-tie" that I've had in all of my teeners. Is that a GT or 6 cylinder thing or is it aftermarket or from another Porsche?
Eric Taylor
wow karl that looks really good. Are you expecting your new 6 to spin that high?
Eric
Qarl
The steering wheel is a Momo Prototipo. Somewhat period correct for race cars from that time period.

Factory GT cars had the horn button as in the picture several posts above.

The engine has S-cams in it, and it's a short-stroke 3.2, so it should rev a little more freely than a stock 3.0 or 3.2.

It is still gonna be 3-4 months before it's driven... I can't wait!
Gint
Lookin good Karl.

Where'd ya get NOS heater control asmbly? And the older style basketweave vinyl? And the new gauge lenses? And...
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 22 2004, 03:44 PM)

Where's ya get NOS heater control asmbly? And the older style basketweave vinyl? And the new gauge lenses? And...

His kitchen table top, where else? laugh.gif
Gint
Modified that post.

As in "where did you get", not "where is".
Qarl
Heater switches from AutoAtlanta off e-bay for $50, I think. It actually was NOS and came as promised with a new chrome bezel.

The basketweave came from Pelican.

Gauge lenses from Palo Alto speedo with the gauge restoration.

The switch inserts from Mittelmotor (or Pelican has them, or AA)

The dash top came from the Porsche dealer using my $100 off coupon each year for PCA members.

The stereo from Crutchfield.
maf914
QUOTE(kellzey @ Feb 22 2004, 06:12 PM)
The dash top came from the Porsche dealer using my $100 off coupon each year for PCA members.

Yes! Good idea. I'm going to do that this year if they distribute the coupons.

Every thing is looking good, Karl! Carry on!

Mike
Rusty
The finished product looks amazing... but... wait... lemme get this straight.

You recovered a NEW dash pad, or just the dash? Do you have the windshield out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.