Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a good value , my 1st 914 , purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sam quartermain
So , here is a 914 , close to my area at 5200 it's not a steal or is it .

Right now is a rainy day and seller says that car is currently being stored outside. Is that the end of it right there ???

Seller says he will remove the rocker panels for closer inspection .

please give me some feedback , if you can //

1974 PORSCHE 914 - $5200 (VAN NUYS, CA)

NEW PAINT. CLEAN INTERIOR.

ALL REALLY SERIOUS BUYERS MAY
PLEASE LEAVE A VOICEMAIL WITH THE BEST TIME FOR SOMEONE TO CONTACT YOU.
ONE OF US WILL CONTACT YOU AS SOON AS PLEASANTLY POSSIBLE.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

johnnie5
What are the particulars? need more info....
sam quartermain
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Feb 16 2009, 06:44 PM) *

What are the particulars? need more info....

so far this is all the info ' ive got on it.

i'll be going to see the car tonight , and i'll post more info asap.on it .

But is it even worth considering the car since it's being kept outside in rain without a cover or garage ??????
Racer
Motor?- size and carbed or FI?
Paint?
Seals?
Rust?
Trunks?
All things I'd be curious about before making the trip wink.gif
ericread
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 16 2009, 06:45 PM) *

But is it even worth considering the car since it's being kept outside in rain without a cover or garage ??????

Sure. It's been in SoCal so there hasn't been a lot of moisture to muck it up. Take a look - take lots of pics and share them here.

beerchug.gif
sam quartermain
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 16 2009, 06:55 PM) *

Sure. It's been in SoCal so there hasn't been a lot of moisture to muck it up. Take a look - take lots of pics and share them here.

beerchug.gif

so sitting outside in the rain , for several weeks or years does not constitute

MOISTURE???????????????????????????????????
sam quartermain
QUOTE(Racer @ Feb 16 2009, 06:50 PM) *

Motor?- size and carbed or FI?
Paint?
Seals?
Rust?
Trunks?
All things I'd be curious about before making the trip wink.gif

i'll look into all the stuff above.

i don't think it's a 2-0 ,

paint ?
seals ?
rust , if it's rusted then i'm not into it.

Just like a girl if she smoke's cig's no matter how hot she is , i'm not having it .
ericread
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 16 2009, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 16 2009, 06:55 PM) *

beerchug.gif

so sitting outside in the rain , for several weeks or years does not constitute

MOISTURE???????????????????????????????????

It all depends on how long it's been sitting outside. With the exception of the last couple of weeks, Southern California has been experiencing record droughts for the past 4-5 years. Not all that much rain, and pretty low humidity between the times it does rain.

It's also good to remember that Southern California is basicly a desert environment. If we didn't have the ability to pipe significant amounts of water from Northern Cali, we would look more like Las Vegas than like, well... Southern California.

It's not like it's been sitting in a field in Ohio.

But I do agree with your basic premise. Since it's not a garaged car, it's quality is totally unknown at this point. And $5200 will buy a lot of 914 in today's economy.

Eric
tod914
Set up a PPI with these guys.
Porsche Independent Service TRE Motorsports Incorporated
(818) 909-9220
15854 Strathern St, Van Nuys, CA 9140

They did a couple of cars for me and steered me clear away from what I thought was ok at the time. Do a compression and leakdown, only if the rest of the car is up to the standards your looking for. There right off Van Nuys blvd.

Good luck
sam quartermain
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 16 2009, 07:16 PM) *

Set up a PPI with these guys.
Porsche Independent Service TRE Motorsports Incorporated
(818) 909-9220
15854 Strathern St, Van Nuys, CA 9140

They did a couple of cars for me and steered me clear away from what I thought was ok at the time. Do a compression and leakdown, only if the rest of the car is up to the standards your looking for. There right off Van Nuys blvd.

Good luck

thanks for the info .
tod914
Sam, btw they might have a couple of leads on good cars for you as well.
ericread
Good folks over at TRE. It's also where I purchase my Brad-Penn oil.

Eric
IronHillRestorations
A good PPI, by a shop that knows 914's and Porsches will save you a bundle in the long run. You might pay a couple times for a car you shouldn't buy, but when you find a good one it's worth it. Just my .02
JoeSharp
Dave at TRE has been racing 914's for years. Give them a call.
ericread
As for your comment "The desire for glory is not a sin":

That which incites a man to do good is apparently not a sin. Now the desire of glory incites men to do good. Glory may also signify a certain clarity, wherefore Augustine says (Tract. lxxxii, c, cxiv in Joan.) that to be "glorified is the same as to be clarified. Therefore the desire for Glory, or "clarification", is not a sin.

However, glory as vanity is another matter. Glory may be called vain in three ways. First, on the part of the thing for which one seeks glory: as when a man seeks glory for that which is unworthy of glory, for instance when he seeks it for something frail and perishable: secondly, on the part of him from whom he seeks glory, for instance a man whose judgment is uncertain: thirdly, on the part of the man himself who seeks glory, for that he does not refer the desire of his own glory to a due end, such as God's honor, or the spiritual welfare of his neighbor.

Much of the above was taken from "Summa Theologica"

idea.gif
johnnie5
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 17 2009, 07:53 AM) *

That which incites a man to do good is apparently not a sin. Now the desire of glory incites men to do good. Glory may also signify a certain clarity, wherefore Augustine says (Tract. lxxxii, c, cxiv in Joan.) that to be "glorified is the same as to be clarified. Therefore the desire for Glory, or "clarification", is not a sin.

However, glory as vanity is another matter. Glory may be called vain in three ways. First, on the part of the thing for which one seeks glory: as when a man seeks glory for that which is unworthy of glory, for instance when he seeks it for something frail and perishable: secondly, on the part of him from whom he seeks glory, for instance a man whose judgment is uncertain: thirdly, on the part of the man himself who seeks glory, for that he does not refer the desire of his own glory to a due end, such as God's honor, or the spiritual welfare of his neighbor.

idea.gif

Wow. That is deep.... I haven't even had my morning coffee yet!
sam quartermain

idea.gif

That's pretty deep .

The comment refers to the movie COBB in which the greatest baseball player ty cobb recounts the life and times of the king of cooperstown.

" aren't you gonna give ruth credit for anything?

he could run well for a fat man ---

ericread
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 17 2009, 11:46 AM) *

idea.gif

That's pretty deep .

The comment refers to the movie COBB in which the greatest baseball player ty cobb recounts the life and times of the king of cooperstown.

" aren't you gonna give ruth credit for anything?

he could run well for a fat man ---

I just thought that if you were going to throw the quote in there, it should be discussed. The quote is actually from an analysis of Catholic theology which speaks to whether "vainglory" is punishable by eternal damnation. Glory is discussed as a subset to diferentiate it from vainglory. Quite an interesting subject.

shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.