Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What headers are these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I saw these on ebay and was wondering what manufacturer they are from?? They look a little different than what I've seen so far. Are they junk or cool???
ss6
Never seen that style. I'd be a little concerned that those rising tubes would interfere with the engine oil cooler and / or cook the aft engine tin / trunk bulkhead.
seanery
I'm thinking since you've got a 3.6, that you don't skimp here.
East coaster
Yeah....with a 3.6 project, I'm not really trying to skimp I just don't know what are "good" headers. I was thinking I'd snag something to get it on the road until someone comes out with a good stainless header that works/fits well for a reasonable price. Hopefully mild steel will last that long!! I've heard rumors of stainless headers on the horizon????? If anyone has a decent set of 6 headers they want to get rid of, I'm interested idea.gif
ChrisReale
What about these? At $3300 a set, they aint cheap, but they are pretty!IPB Image
East coaster
Ouch! That's prison sex pricing! bootyshake.gif
seanery
EC, if you don't need heat get a set of the larger OD Bursch headers and have them drop shipped to Jet-Hott. They will give them a lifetime warranty on new products. Can't beat that IMHO.
ChrisReale
Good point Sean. I figured that because the ones I showed were S-Car-Go made, that would add at least ten extra horsepower laugh.gif
don9146
Check GT racing ( at http://www.gt-racing.com/ ). I like their header better than the Bursch and they can be Jet-hot coated the same way.
rhodyguy
there was a side by side comparo of a triad 6 header and another make at jp's. the differences were glaringly appearent.

kevin
campbellcj
FWIW, I believe GT Racing just resells the headers and megaphones made by European Racing Headers. You can get 'em from George Narbel directly.

Any of the mild steel headers can be ceramic coated for cooler running and longer life (rust protection). You'll end up with a $700-ish price point versus $3K+ for the primo stainless ones.
DNHunt
Kevin

The other header was a Bursch with 1 1/2" pipe. Dave's Triad headers were 1 5/8". I almost took a picture of them but since I have a 4 there were too many holes. I did ask Dave a question about them though. His primaries are considerably longer than the Bursch with the collector ending at the flange and no secondary except on the muffler.

Since I'm considering his header for my 4 I wanted to hear his reason for this. I was hoping to hear something about tuning. You know something like they need the extra length for scavaging, but the answer I got was "It's for a 914/6". Well, I knew that. So, I'm not sure what to make of this. I hope he just thought that I wouldn't understand his explanation and he has a really good reason for the design. But, before I buy his 4 headers, I want to know it wasn't just for convience.

I really like Dave. I know he will do good work. I know he will be exceeedingly helpful. I know he will stand behind his work. I'd love to keep my money local, but I hope his design is toprate.

Dave
seanery
the longer primaries will work like longer intake runners and promote torque. Shorter primaries and intake runners are good for HP. It's always a compromise, HP or Torque...
IronHillRestorations
I've quit using Bursch 914-6 headers entirely. They do not fit an engine with a 914-6 oil cooler. They come in contact with the 914-6 oil cooler, where the tube at the bottom is turned 90* to the front of the car.

I had this problem a few years ago, and was told that I was the only one that had this problem. They didn't deny a problem, and said that they don't know what "reforming" may get done to make them fit. However they said they could make them fit correctly just as easily as they make them now. Sounds good to me, right?

After a few calls, and e-mailing a photo of the interference, I sent the header to them so they could see the problem and correct it. 18 months later I called and asked them to send my header back, and if they corrected the problem, and the upshot was no, business as usual.

I now use and sell the European Racing headers, mentioned in a prior post. The other thing is they make a nice megaphone (with or without cookie cutter inserts), and a bracket that fits the original muffler bracket mounting studs. These are a good product. For the current project we coated them with the POR-15 high temp manifold paint, and they look very good. I'm sure it's not as durable as Jet-Hot (an awesome product) but it didn't cost $350 either.

PK cool.gif
campbellcj
Interesting about the clearance issues Perry - I have the Bursch -6 headers and a reversed 911 cooler and it fits OK. The clearance is definitely tight in a couple of spots but no contact and no noticable heat problems thus far (they are JetHot coated).

Another related controversy seems to be the primary tube diameter. I have had quite a few people tell me that anything larger than 1 1/2" will absolutely kill performance on motors < 3.2L. Yet a few people were just as insistent that the 1 5/8" tubes were either "fine" or perhaps actually a better choice.

At the time, I ended up going with the Bursch 1 5/8" because the price was right and availability was very quick. But if I am leaving power on the table, I would consider selling these and going to a 1 1/2" European setup.

BTW I already have George's megaphones and bracket, and they are pretty nice; great service/shipping too.
Brad Roberts
I have a set of the headers pictured at the top. They fit fine and work great. They are made by ANOTHER person out of Nevada.

The only header with a decent collector on the market is the S-Car-Go stuff. The other collectors leave alot on the table when it comes to flow.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.