6freak
Click to view attachment

not 2 bad..but i need to get on it ..so i am
6freak
Click to view attachment

Looks ok from the inside
6freak
Click to view attachment.

It will be done in about two weeks ...more pix to come soon...still learning how to post pix and run this damn puter so bear with me
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 17 2009, 10:48 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Not a real good pix but you can see the rust has not migrated to far

I don't see any rust???

*EDIT* looking at the other pics, looks like your problem is really tiny. Spray a lot of Metal Ready down there and be done with it. Unless there is more then it looks from here, its not worth cutting into decent paint over.

Zach
PanelBilly
Be thankful. Its funny that the spot formed in that one location and it didn't originate in the sale panel and just bust thru there. I thought for sure you were going to need to fix the tranisition between the sail and the body where the little holes for the trim are drilled. Actually, now that I look at the photo again, your looking into the little tube that connects the door jam to the inside of the car. You can't see the rust growth on the back side from there. Can you get a light inside the rear quarter panel above where the oil tank is mounted and take a good look?
6freak
well it went to the shop Thursday.The paints ground down to bare metal now and the hole will be leaded in,the foam stuff removed and some por15 added under the finder(or wax)where the welds are.alldents in the rear deck lid fixed and she`ll be brand new again.I couldnt just let it go and get worse that would have not been fair to my car when she brings me so much fun.But i will say it cost me my 2.2 hotrod motor
6freak
Im going to clean out all that foam stuff and take a good hard look in that area for sure ..I dont think i will be able to save the original sail panel though if i have to go up in that area for repairs headbang.gif
VaccaRabite
That foam is EVIL stuff. It always get rusty under it. Search and destroy, says I.

Mine had a little rust there as well, very localized. I think that many 914s get a little water dribble in from the chrome strip. Metal ready is the por15 family rust neutralizer. I sprayed (and prayed) it in every hidden channel that I could find on my car, until it dribbled out. Then I sprayed in some more.

Zach
6freak
if it was just water from the chrome strip it would dry but its dirt and debris from the tires and then add the water that you cant get out..walla it stay wet and then rust`s ..we all know this ....Man what a BITCH...Im learning more about this wax stuff its kinda cool stuff.Because por15 wont stick to clean metal survice and it will I will report back soon smile.gif more pix soon 2
6freak
Click to view attachment

As you can see its not a big spot ...YET
PanelBilly
I still think the important photo is the one from the inside of the car. What's going on other side of the metal is important.
Solo914
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 18 2009, 07:10 AM) *

Click to view attachment

As you can see its not a big spot ...YET

I am feeling your pain right now. I had my car painted 2 years ago and there was no rust in that space(on the passenger side) on my car before it was painted. Fast forward to today, there is about a dime sized rust bubble starting. Best I can tell is that when I refastened that sail chrome during assembly i didn't treat the backside of that hole well enough and water got in there and did its thing.

I think I am going to just treat that spot for now(not paint the hole panel yet). Basically, dig out rust carefully, treat front and back and then spot fill/airbrush and then wetsand and polish. If it looks good from 5 feet it will be good enough for me for awhile.

Kyle
6freak
Click to view attachment

that damn foam stuff has got to go ..you can see it through the hole the spot where it looked like the paint was just a little bubbled got worse after the sanding started so now theres two pencil size holes ... headbang.gif man i hope i didnt open a can of worms
6freak
Click to view attachment

Little dirt and oil down in the corner but this area is fine ..its only that one spot
6freak
Click to view attachment

This is how it all started ..sorry for way the pix were not in order
6freak
Click to view attachment

6freak
Click to view attachment

Last one for a few days ...go`n make to the shop tonite to see what the damage is...wish me luck.................WHOOPS NO PIX
PanelBilly
Is this a close up of the hole?
Solo914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 18 2009, 10:19 AM) *

largest rust hole ever..... that hole with buff right out.

Kyle
6freak
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Feb 18 2009, 10:28 AM) *

Kyle

Its a place to through money into and watch it disappear, dark and scary..............It was just a photo of the rear deck lid with some sanding done on it ..I dont know what happened,,,,,, O well
Solo914
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 18 2009, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Solo914 @ Feb 18 2009, 10:28 AM) *

Kyle

Its a place to through money into and watch it disappear, dark and scary..............It was just a photo of the rear deck lid with some sanding done on it ..I dont know what happened,,,,,, O well

That joke works with, Classic cars, Boats, rvs......wives......

Kyle
6freak
well i got 3 otta 4
sixnotfour
another neat spot for foam / rust is in the corner of the rear fender just above the tailight. sometimes it just pops out . might want to look.
6freak
Same side or both??I will be look`n to get all of it out
jd74914
Its on both sides. I'd take it out too.
veltror
My rust hole is just a little bigger av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
SirAndy
In order to really find out how bad this is, you'll have to take off the rear wheel and remove the oil tank!
There's no other way to get into that corner from the back.

The picture you posted of your engine bay is useless as this is *not* the backside of where the hole is ...
smash.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 18 2009, 06:48 PM) *

And there's the perfect picture to illustrate why the oil tank needs to be removed to inspect and repair that area!
poke.gif Andy

6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 18 2009, 05:37 PM) *

In order to really find out how bad this is, you'll have to take off the rear wheel and remove the oil tank!
There's no other way to get into that corner from the back.

The picture you posted of your engine bay is useless as this is *not* the backside of where the hole is ...
smash.gif Andy

With all due respect Mr Andy if you truly looked at the pix you would see the oil tank was remove and the pix of the engine bay was just to show its not a big rust issue.I was lucky to be able to post those for I`m not a PC wiz hell i posted one thats just blank LOL ..But I`m still trying still learn`n and still screw`n up.As we say in the AX world ,seat time, seat time, seat time will make you better smile.gif anyway went to the shop yesterday and there is no update to report biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 19 2009, 06:31 AM) *

if you truly looked at the pix you would see the oil tank was removed

All i saw was duct tape and the lower oil return line still seems to be connected to something.

So i *assumed* you disconnected the hoses and taped up the inlets for the oil tank with duct tape.

I'm glad i was wrong ...
thumb3d.gif Andy
6freak
QUOTE(veltror @ Feb 18 2009, 05:24 PM) *

My rust hole is just a little bigger av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

WOW i thought i had problems bummer Dude
6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 19 2009, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 19 2009, 06:31 AM) *

if you truly looked at the pix you would see the oil tank was removed

All i saw was duct tape and the lower oil return line still seems to be connected to something.

So i *assumed* you disconnected the hoses and taped up the inlets for the oil tank with duct tape.

I'm glad i was wrong ...
thumb3d.gif Andy

It was a PITA tell i got the right tool witch i still have and if anyone needs it i will loan it out ...the tape is just too help keep the junk out of the engine bay when the grinding starts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.