Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a new windshield? Any suggestions on who to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I need a new windshield for the Creamsicle. Seeing as pulling one from a car always seems to result in breaking the windshield. NO I did not break mine pulling it out. It just has a good crack in it. What are my options for finding one? Can any windshield place get one for it?

Also how about the trim around the windshield? Half mine is gone & I may have other pieces. I'm just not sure so figured to see what other poeple have done. Thanks smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 17 2009, 01:43 PM) *

I need a new windshield for the Creamsicle. Seeing as pulling one from a car always seems to result in breaking the windshield. NO I did not break mine pulling it out. It just has a good crack in it. What are my options for finding one? Can any windshield place get one for it?

Also how about the trim around the windshield? Half mine is gone & I may have other pieces. I'm just not sure so figured to see what other poeple have done. Thanks smile.gif

get a new one from Porsche. They are cheap and a perfect fit. They will send it to your dealer where you can pick it up. No compromise for a limited edition. Need the proper windshield instalation pieces of course.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
watch the trim! Recently the factory stuff is mismatched. Some satin finished, some shiny. Real stupid problem
736conver
Call up sunset imports. Good guys and good prices for being a dealership
They are only about 1.5 hours away from you.
Phone number is 800-346-0182

Yea I called them too many times if I remember the number. They will also give you a quote via email too. Takes about a day for email quote
JRust
I'll give Sunset a call. Thanks for all the tips. I'll see what all they have for the instilation pieces also. This is going to be a long 8-10 weeks waiting for my LE to get done dry.gif

Just got my Porsche side decal from mr Bowslby. Thanks Jeff biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 17 2009, 01:58 PM) *
get a new one from Porsche. They are cheap and a perfect fit. They will send it to your dealer where you can pick it up. No compromise for a limited edition. Need the proper windshield instalation pieces of course.

Did I hear this right? "get a new one from Porsche"...

Did you mean a new windshield? Order a new windshield from a Porsche dealer and have them order it in? Do they have access to NOS windshields (read non-chinese WS)?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
they are right here in the atlanta warehouse. WE buy them all of the time. If not there then we got the last one and they will send more from Germany.

We sell the factory windshields all of the time to the Dr 914 type concours sticklers.
smg914
George gave me the same advice when it came time to replace the windshield in my 914-6 M471. I went to my local Porsche dealership and ordered a new windshield and in six days it was in. A brand new SIGLA.

You definitely want to install all new windshield strip clips (914.541.921.11) and all new windshield chrome. Also I highly recommend you have the windshield and the chrome trim professionally installed.

91454121310 - windshield chrome, left
91454121410 - windshield chrome, right
91454121510 - windshield chrome, lower
(2) 91454121710 – windshield corner clips
91454121910 – windshield center clip
biosurfer1
and how much is the dealership asking for this "cheap" item?
smg914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 18 2009, 07:44 AM) *

That depends on your relationship with your Porsche dealership. And that could mean a wide variance in price. However it was very important to me that my windshield had SIGLA in the lower left corner instead of PPG and I would have paid whatever they charged.
736conver
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 18 2009, 09:44 AM) *

Hopefully Jrust will come back with a price. But sunset imports is one of the cheapest if the thee cheapest dealers around.
zonedoubt
I'm also going through the windshield installation questions.

There is a guy selling green-tint ones on eBay and I thought about going that route.

I decided to just get a local glass shop to order and install. I'm sure whereever they get their windshield is just as good as what is available on eBay. That way if it gets broken during installation or something then they're responsible. The trouble with buying your own from Porsche (or elsewhere) is that you're responsible for the glass after you take it home.

I took my cracked windshield out myself and bought a replacement dash seal and missing clips. I'll put the chrome trip back on myself after the glass guy is done.
736conver
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Feb 18 2009, 05:17 PM) *

I'm also going through the windshield installation questions.

There is a guy selling green-tint ones on eBay and I thought about going that route.

I decided to just get a local glass shop to order and install. I'm sure whereever they get their windshield is just as good as what is available on eBay. That way if it gets broken during installation or something then they're responsible. The trouble with buying your own from Porsche (or elsewhere) is that you're responsible for the glass after you take it home.

I took my cracked windshield out myself and bought a replacement dash seal and missing clips. I'll put the chrome trip back on myself after the glass guy is done.

What brand windshield though. Some dont fit right with the anodized trim.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 18 2009, 03:28 PM) *

What brand windshield though. Some dont fit right with the anodized trim.

Can you elaborate?

When I asked the glass guy he said he won't know the brand until the windshield comes in. Kinda weird. I'm glad I haven't pursued this yet knowing there are different dimension windshields.

Has anyone installed a "China" windshield and had problem reinstalling the chrome trim? I think there's a thread in the Classics section about someone who had a local guy install a windshield in Cali for some insane low price and the trim got installed.
914werke
rolleyes.gif
I just went through all this.
I now have rather large box slathered with stickers in German
sitting in my garage awaiting installation.
I tried my local P dealer "Barrier" in Bellevue WA and they quoted me about $570
I ended up working with another member to order one from Sunset out of Portland.
Saved more than $100 smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 18 2009, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 18 2009, 07:44 AM) *

That depends on your relationship with your Porsche dealership. And that could mean a wide variance in price. However it was very important to me that my windshield had SIGLA in the lower left corner instead of PPG and I would have paid whatever they charged.

Just did this, and just got the call mine came into the dealership.

Given the cost of all new aluminum trim, clips, and pro install, I didn't see much point in saving $150-200 at best with off-brand glass that may fit as well. I had off-brand glass last time and had lousy gaps on the aluminum trim and a lot of wind noise. (though it should be said that, when I pulled the windshield this last time, there was a LOT of goop in there from multiple windshield installs).

So I bought factory glass.

Now, this is just my thinking, and I am not trying to argue that it's the "right" way. Just the way I went.

Cheers, beerchug.gif
JRust
I didn't get a chance to call Sunset today. Hopefully I can do it tommorow. Sounds like it will be in the $500 range confused24.gif . I would like a real one as I want it done right for the resto.

"I must copy Rich at all costs. His Creamsicle is going to be a beauty"
JRust
Just got off the phone with Sunset. I have my new windshield on the way from Germany. He even gave me th PCA discount. So I am looking at just under $400 shipped to them. They are only an hour north of me so I'll go pick it up in a few weeks aktion035.gif

Not sure who I am going to have do the install yet. Any local PNW guys have someone they recommend?
Shade Tree
Oh man, wish I had seen this earlier. GnR on Hwy 99 by the Eugene airport wants $80 for the windshield in the '73 sitting there and they'l pull the glass for that price.
ConeDodger
PCA price for the SIGLA glass window in other words original is $263 depending on your dealership... Looks like George just HOOKED YOU UP!
914werke
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 20 2009, 01:01 PM) *

Just got off the phone with Sunset. I have my new windshield on the way from Germany. He even gave me th PCA discount. So I am looking at just under $400 shipped to them. They are only an hour north of me so I'll go pick it up in a few weeks aktion035.gif

Not sure who I am going to have do the install yet. Any local PNW guys have someone they recommend?

PCA Discount ! headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.