Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever used this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
Just wanted to know if anyone has any opinions on the shift lockout kit, does it help? How hard is the install? For $50, it may be worth it and my reverse gear may thank me.

I have all new bushings and the shifting seems to be as good as possible for a tail shifter but every now and then i clip reverse and im getting sick of it. Will this help? Or should i just save and transform my car to side shift, don't really want to since it is the original trans still in the car and i don't want a trans sitting in the garage taking up useful space!
SirAndy
Reverse is sooooo way out of the way on the 901, i don't see how this would do you any good ...

If you're hitting reverse on downshift, you might want to invest in some new shift bushings instead.
shades.gif Andy

EDIT: Ok, tailshift. That explains it ...
turnaround89
already have the new bushings installed.

im not clipping reverse on a downshift, im clipping it when shifting from 1st to 2nd.
JoeSharp
I have one and it did help but I found if I don't try to get into second so quickly it helps more. I'm going to put that kit in my race car just because of the load it takes to get it into 1st and reverse.
914Sixer
You will need to take a old screwdriver and make it into a compression tool for the springs. Kit says will require you to enlarge holes for new pins and springs. Spring compression is tricky and can be dangerous.
rhodyguy
is this an actual part that blocks the slot for reverse or just an additional set of stouter springs?

k
turnaround89
Joe Sharp - you mentioned the load it takes to get into reverse and 1st, are you saying it is harder to get into those gears when you move the shifter all the way over?

I think it is just a stouter set of springs
maf914
Actually it is an additional pair of springs and it was a tough install, trying to compress those onto their mounting pins. They took flight across my garage more than once.

This was many years ago, pre-internet days, and limited access to experienced 914 people. I had noticed my shifting was getting vague, so I replaced the shift bushings. This didn't solve the problem, so reading my Automotion catalaog I decided to try the spring kit. It didn't solve the problem either, but in trouble shooting I finally fiound the main culprit, the shift rod universal joint bushings had disintegrated, literally. Replaced those and the shifting problem was cured. And the spring kit gave the shifter a stronger push away from reverse on the 1-2 shift. Necessary? I don't think so, but not bad.
rhodyguy
the kit springs increase the effort to move the reverse lock out plate (new ones are $19.50 from the bird. aa has them too) substancially. this promotes wear on both the plate and the spot on the shift lever that contacts the plate. ease up on the shift speed from 1st to 2nd. examine the plate contact edge and replace if worn. while the shifter assem is apart, replace the 2 bushings that cradle the pivot ball on the shift lever. those 2 are often overlooked during the rebushing process and they can make a noticable bif in the quility of the shifting.

k
Steve
I installed it in my car when they first came out years ago. The bigger springs pretty much eliminated the accidental hitting of reverse going into second. I think it also built up my forearm everytime i shifted into first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.