Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Project Idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sleepin
I have plenty of experience with swapping Honda engines, but I know nothing of Toyota engines.
I have access via family (see free) biggrin.gif to a running 1991 ES250 with the 2VZ-FE engine in it.

I also currently have a 914 without an engine in it sitting outside...so I started putting 2 and 2 together and wondering how feasable a swap would be. (if you can easily fit a SBC 350 in a 914...a Toyota V6 should glide right in.)

My questions have to do with a) the transmission b.) the transverse mount and c) the electrical (of course).

a) Kennedy makes adaptor plates for the Toyota 3.0 to bolt up to the Porsche 901 transaxle. Would the same adapter plate work on a 2VZ? (ie: are the bellhousing bolts the same on the 2VZ as they are on the 3.0?)

b.) Is there any perceived diffuculty or problems conventionally mounting the transversely setup 2VZ?

c) What all has to go with the 2VZ engine for it to operate correctly. Obviously the ECU, O2 sensors, and associated engine wiring. Anything else?

Thank you for your time reading this. I am looking forward to seeing if this project will work. To my knowledge, this would be the first time a 2VZ has ever been installed on a 914. Once a 2VZ has been installed, it should be pretty easy to convert up to the 3VZ....oh the joys! welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Chevota79
As a Toyota guy I am telling you to stay away from the 3.0 other wise known as the 3 oh slow. If you are gonna do it go with the 3.4 they make a tons of power maybe more than the chevy 4.3. 3.0 also have a pretty big problem w/ head gaskets.

Click to view attachment
Sleepin
I am planning on starting with the 2.5L 2VZ. With 160hp/160lb. ft. it will not slouch, just be a little fun.

Not really going for a monster as of yet...trying to hold off on the 350 (yes, have one of those free via family as well) biggrin.gif
dlo914
Yeah, id rather go with the lightweight 4AGZE out of the 1st gen MR2 . You're looking at about a little under 200hp. You could always swap out the Supercharger for a turbo setup since the engine is built for boost.
rascobo
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Feb 18 2009, 01:42 PM) *

I have plenty of experience with swapping Honda engines, but I know nothing of Toyota engines.
I have access via family (see free) biggrin.gif to a running 1991 ES250 with the 2VZ-FE engine in it.

I also currently have a 914 without an engine in it sitting outside...so I started putting 2 and 2 together and wondering how feasable a swap would be. (if you can easily fit a SBC 350 in a 914...a Toyota V6 should glide right in.)

My questions have to do with a) the transmission b.) the transverse mount and c) the electrical (of course).

a) Kennedy makes adaptor plates for the Toyota 3.0 to bolt up to the Porsche 901 transaxle. Would the same adapter plate work on a 2VZ? (ie: are the bellhousing bolts the same on the 2VZ as they are on the 3.0?)

b.) Is there any perceived diffuculty or problems conventionally mounting the transversely setup 2VZ?

c) What all has to go with the 2VZ engine for it to operate correctly. Obviously the ECU, O2 sensors, and associated engine wiring. Anything else?

Thank you for your time reading this. I am looking forward to seeing if this project will work. To my knowledge, this would be the first time a 2VZ has ever been installed on a 914. Once a 2VZ has been installed, it should be pretty easy to convert up to the 3VZ....oh the joys! welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Check with 'Kennedy Engineered Products' as they have made adapter plates for virtually every swap imaginable.
sean_v8_914
I think your toyota specific questions would be better answered on a toyota BBS.

why bother with all that water, conversion adapter stuff for a lousy 160 hp? for that, I would stay t-4. I wont even do a six conversion for under 200 hp
913B
What about the 2ZZ motor from the last Celica GTS, granted if you can find a wreck one or something. Moden FI with the VVTI (variable valve timing w/inteligence). Doesn't the Lotus Elise model or something uses the same Toyota motor.

My .02 cent
balljoint
The poor lad stated that he had access to a free engine and asked questions related to said engine.

2VZ

Is that zee or zed?

My Tacoma has a 4.0 litre V6 in it. Does that help? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.