Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NASCAR studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
this is for the 911 but it's the same parts as a 914.6 so you can pretend it's for that ...

i'm installing the front brake cooling kit from AJR (killer sale and PCA discount right now, BTW, if you're interested...) and the block-off plates, when i do the strut and S-caliper brake upgrade. (and have the A-arms off for antiroll bar tabs and bearings, but that's a separate issue ...) so while i have the hubs apart from the disks to install the blockoff plates, it's The Ideal Time to do something to the studs, which are of OEM length.

it so happens that i have, in my 25+year parts stash, a set of 100mm studs with the tips ground, sorta-NASCAR style. but they're not -quite- what i want, and they are really too long for the available fender room on this car. (they are, of course, already paid for, so they have that in their favor...)

new 100mm studs are pricey, but 75mm's are much more reasonable and all i'd need in this application. so - who knows of a source for NASCAR-ended 75mm studs ?

lacking that - who's got a lathe with a toolpost grinder who's willing to mod a set (20) of 75mm studs for a FULL-RADIUS ball end plus maybe 3/4" of the shaft taken to 0.001" under the thread minor diameter ?

to minimise trans-shipping the easiest hot setup would probably for "whoever" to buy the studs directly (i'll PayPal you money first) mod them and then send them to me.
TimT
Rich, try Hoerr, or Coleman... I have a lathe but dont have the fixture to ball end the stud
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 22 2004, 01:36 PM)
...try Hoerr, or Coleman...

Hoerr has 'em - in Amurican sizes only.

Google'd "+Coleman +race" and got about 400,000 hits.
can you point me a little closer to Coleman ? i'm glad to do the legwork but i'm not sure where to start ...

i was surprised not to find them listed at the usual Porsche-oriented places; they may have 'em, but they're pretty well-hidden ...
seanery
Rich,
I think I put 100s in mine. Overkill I know, but they were cheaper than the 75s and I didn't know what wheel I would be running or if I would use a spacer. Hell, I still don't know... wacko.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 22 2004, 01:53 PM)
Rich,
I think I put 100s in mine. Overkill I know, but they were cheaper than the 75s and I didn't know what wheel I would be running or if I would use a spacer. Hell, I still don't know... wacko.gif

my current searches have showed 100's at about $12 each, 75's at $6.
if you can get me a set of 100's at $6 each i'll go for it - even if they are heavier than they need to be ...
seanery
I bought 'em in '99 or '00 from Performance Prods. sorry.
TimT
Coleman
I just looked in the catalog (which is strategically close to my pc) and they only have american thread also...

oops.

Troutman I believe used to always advertise 100mm studs.
J P Stein
I just got some 72s from GPR......4.80 ea....nuthin'trick about em' tho.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.