Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lime Rock IMSA Race, Memorial Day 1985
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
I decided to go through some of my old pictures.. and found some pics from the IMSA GTP at Lime Rock 1985..

Does anyone know about this 914?

Click to view attachment

Al Holberts car..... That is a friend of mine who I haven seen for years... trying to open the door

On edit: should have photo shopped the guy needing the mansiere out lol

Click to view attachment

I pretty much suck as a photgrapher, but look at how many people were at a sports car race!! I think they said attendance that weekend was 70,000 peeps

Click to view attachment

Maybe my best shot of the weekend

Click to view attachment

random Porsche... lots of peeps...

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Back in those days, 70K people would show up not so much for the race as the party... I recall being on the emergency medical staff at Brainerd International Raceway in the 1970-1980's. Me and my friend Mick who drove the tow truck at the track would go out into the infield where the general admission tickets got you... OMG! I am sure this is where the original phrase "show us your tits" was uttered. People covered in mud. Massive quantities of ETOH. Loud music all night. I am fairly sure they were unaware a race was going on!

As for Al Holbert. RIP Al! One of the truely nice guys in racing.

Great pics!
TimT
Try the Watkins Glen Mud pit or whatever.... they used to burn cars.... I wonder if that was before or after the Dead/Allmans/Band had had that huge concert at the Glen?

Zimms
Great stuff! Was #3 taken from the inside of turn 1/2? I like the angle. I am no help with the 914.
TimT
Great stuff! Was #3 taken from the inside of turn 1/2?

LOL really... I took these pics 24 years ago...let me look at them for a bit and orient myself a bit... funny thing the BMW sign
Zimms
That is funny placement of the 914/BMW sign. It looks like that was the last turn before the front sttraight, then # is going into turn 1 and #5 is the fron straight around start/finish. I love old race photos. Lime Rock is a great viewing track.
TimT
K I think I took the pic of the lefthander from outside big bend.. I had/have some pretty big zoom lenses.. That pic looks like I took the pic outside the track after the bridge.. and focused @ the left

TimT
That is funny placement of the 914/BMW sign. It looks like that was the last turn before the front sttraigh

That BMW sign is still there.... or was last time I was at LRP...
carr914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 18 2009, 09:19 PM) *

Me and my friend Mick who drove the tow truck at the track would go out into the infield where the general admission tickets got you... OMG! I am sure this is where the original phrase "show us your tits" was uttered. People covered in mud. Massive quantities of ETOH. Loud music all night. I am fairly sure they were unaware a race was going on!

Sounds like Sebring's Green Park every year

QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 18 2009, 09:30 PM) *

Try the Watkins Glen Mud pit or whatever.... they used to burn cars.... I wonder if that was before or after the Dead/Allmans/Band had had that huge concert at the Glen?

It was the Bog @ Watkins Glen, they used to burn cars, buses, campers, etc. It was after the Grateful Dead/Allman Brothers/The Band show. I was at that too.

T.C.
gms
QUOTE(TimT @ Feb 18 2009, 09:06 PM) *

I decided to go through some of my old pictures.. and found some pics from the IMSA GTP at Lime Rock 1985..

Does anyone know about this 914?

Click to view attachment

I believe that is Bruce Jones car DNF, did you get a picture of #89 Hendricks' 914?
that was the GT race right?
stownsen914
QUOTE(gms @ May 26 2009, 01:59 AM) *

I believe that is Bruce Jones car DNF, did you get a picture of #89 Hendricks' 914?

Bruce was one of my guesses too. Just for the heck of it, I started Googling and found this site www.ultimateracinghistory.com that has Bruce in a #96 914 for the '85 LRP. I couldn't find a #88 914 in '85 or in the couple years' races before or after. I wonder if Hendricks used 88 for practice and later switched to 89 for the race?

Scott
SGB
Anybody going to the ALMS race in July? I'll be there (sans teener).
beer.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(SGB @ May 28 2009, 08:01 AM) *

beer.gif

I am probably going to go. I missed it last year but the year before I got press passes and had full access to the entire park. Got some great shots.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SGB @ May 28 2009, 11:01 AM) *

beer.gif

Hey Scott,
If you have a little free time while you're up here you should come over to my shop for a visit. I'm about an hour and a half (or less driving.gif ) from Lime Rock.
gms
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ May 28 2009, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(gms @ May 26 2009, 01:59 AM) *

Bruce was one of my guesses too. Just for the heck of it, I started Googling and found this site www.ultimateracinghistory.com that has Bruce in a #96 914 for the '85 LRP. I couldn't find a #88 914 in '85 or in the couple years' races before or after. I wonder if Hendricks used 88 for practice and later switched to 89 for the race?

Scott

here is how the car looks today
stownsen914
QUOTE(gms @ May 29 2009, 01:39 AM) *

here is how the car looks today

Cool -- do you own it now? That looks like Bruce's old car alright. I knew a couple of the other owners who drove it over the years. It looks to be in pretty much the same configuration as when I last saw it at a PCA event around 1990 or so.

Scott
gms
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ May 29 2009, 06:01 AM) *

Cool -- do you own it now? That looks like Bruce's old car alright. I knew a couple of the other owners who drove it over the years. It looks to be in pretty much the same configuration as when I last saw it at a PCA event around 1990 or so.

Scott

I don't own it, it was first prepared by Fred Apgar (The Apcar) then sold to Bruce.
r_towle
who owns it now?

Rich
gms
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 30 2009, 07:52 PM) *

who owns it now?

Rich

Claus
URY914
You should submit the picture to Racing Sports Cars website....

He doesn't have a pic of that car but his does list it. Just tell Martin the race title and date in your email and send it to him.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Lime...985-05-28g.html
jt914-6
Can anyone ID this 914? I took the pic @ Road Atlanta around the mid 80's. I'll have to dig out my program from the race and see. It's not here with me.

Click to view attachment
gms
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ May 31 2009, 01:44 PM) *

Can anyone ID this 914? I took the pic @ Road Atlanta around the mid 80's. I'll have to dig out my program from the race and see. It's not here with me.

Click to view attachment

That looks like the John Hulen/Ron Coupland IMSA car, I am prtty sure they switched over to a 911 by 1982.
I think 1980 was the last entry I have for them in a 914???
jt914-6
Thanks Glen.....Will we see you at the MUSR 10??????
gms
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 1 2009, 09:10 AM) *

Thanks Glen.....Will we see you at the MUSR 10??????

It is hard to say at this point in time???
stownsen914
QUOTE(gms @ May 30 2009, 06:53 PM) *

I don't own it, it was first prepared by Fred Apgar (The Apcar) then sold to Bruce.

Yup, I remember when Fred owned the car. He was my parents' mechanic while I was growing up. On a related note, they currently own the IMSA 911 that Fred built/bought after selling the 914 to Bruce.

Scott
gms
here is Ray Hendrick's old car now
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.