Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this 914 for sale a GOOD BUY FOR ME?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sam quartermain
I've been in the market for a 914 going on about 1 yr now , this forum has advised me very well in the past .

Here is a car i've found that is only 10 miles from me , seller list's car for sale ,6k

my question is , is this good value for the buy. because my budget is really 3-5k

other questions is there or should there be a price trade off between cars with

f.i vs carbs or , 1-7 , 1-8 or 2.0 ????

and as a driver , what setup is best , because alot of the cars i've been looking at are set up differently and i'd like to hear what the difference's from behind the wheel are with these different engine set up's .????

I'm going to be doing freeway miles mostly , so what works best and most reliable in a high mileage 70mph constant speed.???

also , what are the hp/tor numbers for these engine and combinations . i've heard about a 5k type IV that just bolt's up , so if I could find a car that's pristine then I could make it ass ripper and reliable for 5k more , just some thoughts would help ???

__________________+++++++++++++++++__________+++++++++________

1976 914 2.0 - $6000 (MONTEREY PARK)

GREAT CONDITION CAR WITH ONLY 3 PREVIOUS OWNERS. ALWAYS GARAGED IN SO. CAL AREA CALL FOR MORE INFO
FUEL INJECTED, 2.0 ALLOYS MOVING MUST SELL

JoeSharp
It will have to pass SMOG as a 1976 car here in Califorina. So you won't be able to soup it up.
sam quartermain
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 19 2009, 11:49 AM) *

It will have to pass SMOG as a 1976 car here in Califorina. So you won't be able to soup it up.

Good point , so after another year is there still gonna be smog on a 76.

And could i get around it buy supertrapping it for 1 day out of the year or what ???
SirAndy
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 19 2009, 11:54 AM) *

And could i get around it buy supertrapping it for 1 day out of the year or what ???

I'm not sure you can "buy" it by supertrapping it,
however, you *could* keep the original engine, exhaust, cat and everything related in your garage just for that one day of smog testing.

IMHO, overkill, but hey. Of course, you could just drive it with the stock 2.0L motor. I know, i know, crazy idea ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

PS: And no, it doesn't look like the '76 will ever be exempt from testing. CA has no plans on raising the cutoff year any time soon.

PPS: Also note, just because pre '76 cars are exempt from testing does not mean you can legally throw in just about any engine. You still have to meet the smog requirements of that year. You're just exempt from testing, not from meeting those standards. If pulled over with a non-stock engine, you can still get a ticket, or worse.
ericread
IMHO, if you want to make it a concours car, go for it. However, if you want to have some fun by modifying it or don't want to have to worry about meeting 35 year old SMOG control tests, I would highly recommend you stay with 1975 or older year cars.

Eric

(BTW: Is this heading another quote from "COBB"?)
sam quartermain
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 19 2009, 12:21 PM) *

IMHO, if you want to make it a concours car, go for it. However, if you want to have some fun by modifying it or don't want to have to worry about meeting 35 year old SMOG control tests, I would highly recommend you stay with 1975 or older year cars.

Eric

(BTW: Is this heading another quote from "COBB"?)

ok , so the 76's are def not for me thanks.

and yes it's another Cobb , ism

" A man's friend should not care what he say's or does and to those who are not his friends , to hell with em ."

SirAndy
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 19 2009, 01:09 PM) *

I wanna learn about greatness

Maybe you should start by learning about apostrophes ... shades.gif
degreeoff
aww Andy be nice!
Justinp71

If you are putting in a bigger motor I wouldn't worry to much about size, typically 2.0 cars are a premium, however I think you could use the exhaust from a 2.0 if you put in a bigger motor.

All you really want is as clean, rust free and complete car as possible for your money... Your not going to find a perfect car for your price range, but I would start making sure there are no big rust problems and you have a clean straight body in anything you look at.

After you look at a car make sure you price the replacement; parts some of the after market rubber is cheap, but other parts (inc rubber) are expensive (semi)...there are also alot of used parts around too!

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.