Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do I ask?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kmccarthy88
I'm going to call a woman selling a 74 914. She wants something in the ball park of $500 give or take $100. I know the car ran when it was put into storage, but that's pretty much it. I also feel like I saw a classified ad of the car in a field. It definitely has some surface rust, I just don't know how deep it goes.
Thanks
PS i'm looking for a project for the summer, just not an overly intense one
PeeGreen 914
For $500? you ask "when can I pick it up." You should be able to sell the wheels for about that if they are in okay shape.
kmccarthy88
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 20 2009, 01:10 AM) *

For $500? you ask "when can I pick it up." You should be able to sell the wheels for about that if they are in okay shape.

you think even if it's in shitty condition i grab it anyway and worse comes to worst sell it on ebay for what i paid? even if it's all rusted out?
PeeGreen 914
blink.gif okay, maybe not. Well, it looks like lids are okay, so there should be some decent parts to salvage on there. Really don't know what you're looking for. If you want a car to restore I would think this may be a good one to pass on but you East coasters restore some cars we Westerners would cut up in a heartbeat. I guess it all depends on what your skills are. Over the phone asking a lady about a car I wouldn't trust a work they say until I see it with my own eyes.
mein_tag
the words running through your head after you bought it.

It's only surface rust, It's only surface rust... unsure.gif
Sleepin
I have found that pretty much any 914 is worth $500 if you want to put time into taking parts off.

That does look like a East Coaster "clean tub" though. I am digging the purple stripe!
ericread
So what do you plan to do with this car? Part it out? Build a DD? Build a racecar? Let us know what you're looking for and we can be more helpful.

charliew
I don't think any summer project will start with 500.00 unless it's a part out project and maybe keep some parts for a better car. That car looks like a strip and repaint that had really terrible prep work.
kmccarthy88
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 20 2009, 10:15 AM) *

So what do you plan to do with this car? Part it out? Build a DD? Build a racecar? Let us know what you're looking for and we can be more helpful.

I'd really like to turn it into a summer driver
Dr Evil
Summer of what year? Seriously, expect a hell of a lot of work with that one. It needs to be thoroughly inspected and assessed based on your abilities. Expect much body rot.
type11969
Where is the car? Someone may be close by that can check it out for you.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(kmccarthy88 @ Feb 19 2009, 10:03 PM) *

I'm going to call a woman selling a 74 914. She wants something in the ball park of $500 give or take $100. I know the car ran when it was put into storage, but that's pretty much it. I also feel like I saw a classified ad of the car in a field. It definitely has some surface rust, I just don't know how deep it goes.
Thanks
PS i'm looking for a project for the summer, just not an overly intense one

after seeing the photo of the car I would ask.....What are you wearing? lol-2.gif
smokey
I would say with another five hundred . beer.gif u could get it to this level .
beerchug.gif

LOL

smoke.gif Rick McCarthy

smokey
MHHHH..
kmccarthy88
QUOTE(type11969 @ Feb 20 2009, 04:48 PM) *

It's in Swanville Maine, which is like 100 miles north of portland. My ultimate goal is to talk her down to about $350 because cant I always just pop it on ebay with a $350 starting bid as a parts car if it is a total flop.
Justinp71
Id first ask her if she sees rust in the floor pan and in the engine area, maybe she can take some additional photos.

However it looks like you could probably save money buying one closer in better shape...

Are you going to do the work yourself??? It looks like it could be a project, after they sit awhile the brakes freeze and fuel/vacuum lines crack...
r_towle
QUOTE(kmccarthy88 @ Feb 20 2009, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(type11969 @ Feb 20 2009, 04:48 PM) *

It's in Swanville Maine, which is like 100 miles north of portland. My ultimate goal is to talk her down to about $350 because cant I always just pop it on ebay with a $350 starting bid as a parts car if it is a total flop.

yes,
go get it for 350...dont even waste the gas to go see it...just bring up a trailer and get it for 350.

You will get that back at least in a worst case scenario.

where do you live?
I have loads of parts here and I know of loads more local to this area.

Rich
Heeltoe914
If you are looking for a project to learn about cars and you are willing to do a lot of the work yourself this may be a good project. But don’t expect to get what you put into it out of it later. You will put more than 2000 into this car if you have that kind of money setting around you may wont to consider a car that is not so fare gone as fare as rust goes from the looks off it. If you wont to maybe get your money back over time, Well some of it, this may not be the car. ANYTHING is possible what is your background around cars? And if that is a 74 why dose it have 75 bumpers? If it is a 2.0 motor buy as fast as you can and find another shell maybe and rebuild the 2.0 motor to go into the car with the best body. Most of us here started with one 914 than we got donor cars like the pix your showing.
smokey
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Feb 20 2009, 06:47 PM) *

If you are looking for a project to learn about cars and you are willing to do a lot of the work yourself this may be a good project. But don’t expect to get what you put into it out of it later. You will put more than 2000 into this car if you have that kind of money setting around you may wont to consider a car that is not so fare gone as fare as rust goes from the looks off it. If you wont to maybe get your money back over time, Well some of it, this may not be the car. ANYTHING is possible what is your background around cars? And if that is a 74 why dose it have 75 bumpers? If it is a 2.0 motor buy as fast as you can and find another shell maybe and rebuild the 2.0 motor to go into the car with the best body. Most of us here started with one 914 than we got donor cars like the pix your showing.

agree.gif

Leaman knows his shitt . Very well put

Rick
smokey
leamon
My bad.
kmccarthy88
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Feb 20 2009, 09:47 PM) *

I'm definitely willing to do a lot of the work myself, I want to learn how to fix cars, do it myself that sort of thing. I have friends that are great with cars if I get stuck, and a fantastic mechanic who wouldn't think twice about looking the car over once I bought it or giving me some advice. I love classic cars, and Porsche's so I figured for the money it was a trifecta.

As to the bumpers I really don't think this woman knows anything about cars
Heeltoe914
Get us some more pixs from under the car, inside the eng, wheel wells, inside the front & rear trucks and the Interior the more the better.

The great thing about 914's if that its very easy to move part from car to car, but that one pixs shows not to many good parts. A project yes this summer driving down the coast????????????
kmccarthy88
Click to view attachment
type11969
The center console alone is worth some money.
kmccarthy88
Click to view attachment
kmccarthy88
Click to view attachment
Heeltoe914
So fare interior 5 hours maybe 350 in used swap meet parts to get it into a DD state.
Look for sway bars under frt. or rear of car allot of AX guys will turn the Tech up like that to see red line better.
kmccarthy88
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Feb 21 2009, 06:38 PM) *

So fare interior 5 hours maybe 350 in used swap meet parts to get it into a DD state.
Look for sway bars under frt. or rear of car allot of AX guys will turn the Tech up like that to see red line better.

you think it got abused in AX?
Heeltoe914
No idea would need lots more info. Any pixs from under the car?
kmccarthy88
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Feb 21 2009, 09:08 PM) *

No idea would need lots more info. Any pixs from under the car?

not yet, she should be emailing me some more pictures tomorrow...i havent had a chance to call her
mtn flyr
In addition to what the others are saying, I would ask if the title is clear.
dlo914
My buddy James (VOX) and i managed to find a really good roller for $300 yesterday, here's the thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92942

Also, how's it going Leamon? Gonna be at the G&R Meet Roast/Swapmeet? I got my buddy hooked on 914s, and he's sourcing some parts to complete a 914 Suby Project now. We might need a few parts, could i PM you a small list? Thanks!
swl
I'd certainly grab it for $350. I think I would even do $500 but I tend to be a little silly with my money smile.gif

I get some good vibes on the car. Of course you really can't tell without detailed pics and even then it is a crap shoot. On the positive side the gaps look decent and the seats aren't split. Not sure if the dash has been recovered though. looks like the rear trunk hinge is gone but that is minor. The rust on the flanks is nothing - only part that looks like it might be serious is at the door handle. The usual rust through spots - front lights and cowl aren't screaming. With the appearance group it suggests that it may be a 2L. If it is and it was indeed running when it was put away then you are golden at that price.

If you are going to get into 914s this may not be a bad start. Even if it is not the final driver it has lots of good parts and does not seem to be badly molested. Having a reference car is great when doing a project. The real decision points on 'is it worth restoring' will come when you look at the frame. If it is good (sorry but unlikely up north) then you might get it safe enough to roll by the end of the summer. If the frame has problems then you could be looking at much much longer.
Heeltoe914
Good tips Steve,

Daniel sure have your friend contact me anytime. I will be going to the swap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.