Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni yellow VS red
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So the rear struts on my car are Koni reds and they have the valving and all just like the yellows. What is the difference ohter than diameter? I am able to get yellow or reds from a source but I don't have the coilovers for the yellows. I they are the same perfomance wise I can just get the reds and use what I have, If not I will need to find some coilovers for the yellows at a sweet price.... like trade wink.gif
MikeSpraggi
From reading other posts on the subject by people who know a lot more about this than me, this is what I understand. Konis are adjustable only on rebound and if you are using heavier than stock torsion bars on the fronts the bound dampening on Koni Reds should work well for normal street driving but would not necessarily be aggressive enough for hard driving like track and DE events. Koni Yellows are valved for stiffer bound dampening. Comparing the front Red vs. Yellow, setting the Reds to mid range is where the Yellows start. Not sure about the rears. In all, the Yellows can provide a more aggressive (stiffer) ride than the Reds.
Joe Ricard
Pretty much that's right.
Go for the yellows that are great for the street in controlling a 140 to 180 rear spring.

Koni will re-valve any of their shocks to the dampenig curve you want. You just gotta know what You want.

My double adjustable AFCO's ride significantly better than any Koni I've ever driven on. I set them about 6and6 for the street with a 200 lb spring.
ConeDodger
The stock shocks should be fine for you Jon poke.gif lol-2.gif
PeeGreen 914
dry.gif Thanks Rob chair.gif laugh.gif

I have the reds coupled with 200lb springs and am really thinking of going for 250lb springs. So I guess the yellows are the way to go? So they can valve them how I want? Well, how would I want in this case. My car is mostly and AX car.

Anyone have the sleeves and all for the yellows but want the sleeves for the reds? I'll trade beerchug.gif .
Joe Ricard
Your going to have to do your homework on shock valving curves.
Basically you want very stiff slow speed valving in both compression and rebound. But lesser valving in the high speed side.

In my opinion off the shelf Koni sports won't adequately dampen much over a 150 rear spring.

Torsion bars are a whole different story . I have pretty good grip with the front wheels so I must have tripped over a good shock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.